Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC - 4 South Tunnel Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just my opinion, but....
Charleston, SC proper is a destination, not a stop on a road trip. Superchargers tend to be located for road trippers.
Asheville gets two because two interstates pass through there...I-26 and I-40.
IMO the supercharger in Columbia is for I-77 traffic. Columbia needs another one for I-26 traffic. Asheville has two, why not Columbia?
I drive often between FL & Asheville. The lack of a Supercharger on I-26, between Charleston & Asheville baffles me. This adds 30 min minimum to my drive just to find charging.

Please try not to block the pull in stalls, they are used for people towing
That's not his Model X, his car is almost off-frame to the right.

And this site has no spots for ppl towing unless it is a bike rack (which is not towing).
The right thing to do for those towing is to unhitch then charge (yes, I tow on my Model X), this is just the reality of most Supercharging locations.

That's not his Model X, his car is almost off-frame to the right.

And this site has no spots for ppl towing unless it is a bike rack (which is not towing).
The right thing to do for those towing is to unhitch then charge (yes, I tow on my Model X), this is just the reality of most Supercharging locations.
I just feel that most people will not unhook every 2-3 hours at each supercharger, that gets old fast. Especially when Cybertrucks are out on the roads and towing is more likely among Tesla owners.

Reactions: PStewart and jsight
I just feel that most people will not unhook every 2-3 hours at each supercharger, that gets old fast. Especially when Cybertrucks are out on the roads and towing is more likely among Tesla owners.
This is why it is so important for EVs to get past 15% market share. At that point, they don't have to be shoved in the back of the station any more. Stations will get rid of a row or two of pumps and allocate them for the larger EVs and EVs with trailers.

I stopped by the Asheville-Whole Foods supercharger for the first time this weekend. I had driven 2 hours in the morning, hiked over 10 miles in Pisgah National Forest near Linville Gorge, and then driven 1:45 to the supercharger, before continuing my journey.

The spots were about half full so I picked one of the spots on the back side that didn't have any cars on either side. (I know these are v3 superchargers and not shared, but it seems like the polite thing to do.) When I got out to plug in, I was confused because the unit was being used by the car parked on the other side of the line of chargers. (You can see the corner of the grey Model 3 that was using that charger in the photo below.) Because I was tired, I didn't really think it through, but just moved around to a spot that had just opened up.

Now that I've recovered from my trip, I'm studying the picture of the whole install posted early in the thread and here are some observations.
  1. The spot the Model 3 was in was intended to be a pull-in spot, and to use the charger beside it. As someone suggested, that can accommodate bike racks/small trailers.
  2. The red car that parked beside mine later is correctly using the other sideways stall on the end of the line of that same front row.
  3. The cabinet to the right of mine is for the first spot on the back row.
  4. I'm not sure, but I think I lucked out and used the correct cabinet for the spot I finally ended up in.
  5. More generally, because all supercharger site layouts are different, it would be nice to number the spots based on which cabinet works best with each spot.
I know I could have researched this thread more beforehand, or made a scouting trip and studied the layout, but no one has to do that with gas stations that you use on the road. It would be nice to have more cues as to how the superchargers I a site should be used.

My blue Model Y charging:

argeux_at_whole_foods_asheville.jpg

I know I could have researched this thread more beforehand, or made a scouting trip and studied the layout, but no one has to do that with gas stations that you use on the road. It would be nice to have more cues as to how the superchargers I a site should be used.

I think going onto a forum is researching site layouts and planning charging stall utilization in advance is WELL beyond expected behavior at a Supercharger site!

I can see why this particular site is so confusing, and if your suppositions are correct (and it does seem to be the case), then I would also note that the pedestal markings (the one that is visible in your picture is "2A") are on the back of the pedestal, which adds to the confusion.

(also, just to dispel one more source of confusion, the things with the connectors on them are usually referred to as the pedestals--the cabinets are the big white boxes that are usually off to the side)

This layout is a little jumbled; I was thrown off at first too. But aside from the head-in spot, all of the spots really only have one charger that reaches easily to the rear left quarter of the car. I do wish they would have made directionality a little more obvious. I guess they were counting on us backing into a space and reaching for the charger that was closest to our charge port.

Moderator note: Merged from another thread.

8 stalls opened in Asheville at the far end of the parking lot near Whole Foods last summer, but in September a permit application was filed, and on October 26 approved, for 8 more stalls at the Whole Foods end of the parking lot. This might be the first time Tesla is installing a second set of superchargers in the same parking lot but different location. Sadly these are just 8 more V3 stalls, and not sure why they decided to install these so close to the others. Construction should begin soon if it hasn't already.

dyjqo7i.jpg

2X8Bt0k.png

VJlQx8X.png

Last edited by a moderator:
8 stalls opened in Asheville at the far end of the parking lot near Whole Foods last summer, but in September a permit application was filed, and on October 26 approved, for 8 more stalls at the Whole Foods end of the parking lot. This might be the first time Tesla is installing a second set of superchargers in the same parking lot but different location. Sadly these are just 8 more V3 stalls, and not sure why they decided to install these so close to the others. Construction should begin soon if it hasn't already.

dyjqo7i.jpg

2X8Bt0k.png

VJlQx8X.png

Not the first time, but it is rare. There are two superchargers at the Lenox Square mall in Atlanta
1667234041426.png

Stopped in here last night. It was 6 miles from the AirBNB we are staying at for a few days. Convenient location for us as we needed some groceries so went to While Foods while it charged up. By the time we got back to the car is was just finishing up. Wish I had a bit more time to go into the Guitar Center right there and mess around on the guitars. But alas it was too fast.

• Funny
Reactions: vanjwilson
Moderator note: Merged from another thread.

dyjqo7i.jpg

2X8Bt0k.png

VJlQx8X.png
@corywright @Big Earl - or whoever is supposed to be notified of activity for Supercharge.info. More stalls, "newish" location. Shown separately on Tesla's website too.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
I thought this warranted a new location/dot. No? That's the way its being displayed on Tesla's site.

View attachment 889573
Tesla is simply showing a "coming soon" location and it will likely be merged with the existing "online" red dot once it is operational. This is the same way it was handled with the Raleigh, NC and London, KY expansions. There is no new location; it is an addition to an existing site.

The only caveat here is the superchargers are technically on the other side of the parking lot, so perhaps @Big Earl would like to handle it differently.

I thought this warranted a new location/dot. No? That's the way its being displayed on Tesla's site.
"Coming soon" grayed out locations on the Tesla map usually do not give the correct location. Supercharge.info usually adds them when they know the correct location.
The Tesla map shows the new one you're referring to as very near an existing one....like right across the street. This would be very unusual for a town the size of Asheville, but stranger things have happened.
Edit: Looks like @Jeremy3292 beat me by 2 minutes 😀

Reactions: Jeremy3292