Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC - 4 South Tunnel Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Thanks to Mike from CyberOwners on Twitter for finding a new Supercharger location in Asheville at the Whole Foods (4 S Tunnel Rd). The permit was filed today per the city's Accela database. Woot!

CyberOwners (Mike@) on Twitter

Asheville.jpg

I'm thrilled about this one. I suspect fairly few Tesla drivers tend to pass Asheville without stopping. Perhaps that is just because like Asheville as a destination so much!
Still the new one is better located for my preferences, especially because it is so much faster.

For the record, the Asheville permit numbers are 21-00849 (for "site work") and 21-00846 (for "accessory structure"). The latter one shows that it was updated yesterday (10-Feb) but I don't know how. FYI these can be seen by going here:

https://dev-simplicity.ashevillenc....l&id=227822&entities=undefined&entity=address

... and then selecting "Development" and "List View". Note also that the permitted address is Suite 100 at 4 S Tunnel Road (presumably the Whole Foods itself) , or "4 100 S Tunnel Rd" as the Asheville system calls it.

i hope this one is easier to get to on the I40 drive by than the other one is, it easily added 45m to my trip getting on/off 40 to get to that outlet mall (Christmas 2019). That was the only location I was not overly thrilled about in our 2200 mile round trip in our X before the world stopped.

i hope this one is easier to get to on the I40 drive by than the other one is, it easily added 45m to my trip getting on/off 40 to get to that outlet mall (Christmas 2019). That was the only location I was not overly thrilled about in our 2200 mile round trip in our X before the world stopped.
Did you try a general navigation with a FROM and TO locations even in Google maps and add the new one supercharger as a waypoint (35.584234,-82.523932) along that route to see?

A quick test I did from Canton to Black Mountain shows picking either one as a waypoint to be about the same distance and time.

Last edited:
I realize you are replying to @trekkie but I did a google maps "search" from I-40 to the new charger. That's how I got the 3.5 miles/10 minutes. I did not do a search from I-40 to the "old" charger.
No worries. I was curious about this as I've made similar comparisons when they added the new Supercharger in east Lousiville KY.

Here were my two test. It doesn't get much closer of a comparisons it seems.

I would guess if someone were on I-40 and then went either north or south on 26 there would be advantages. Just going thru the area on I-40 does not appear to have advantages from the below .... oh wait ... there may be a difference just because one is v2 (150 kW max) and the other is v3 (250 kW max) which I never considered.

RvQeebV.jpg

FYI, waypoint below start off as 35.584234,-82.523932 and Google maps changed it to the address below.

OJMZyT6.jpg

Last edited: