Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC - 4 South Tunnel Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m sitting here wondering how Asheville gets a second supercharger location just minutes away from the existing location, plus a V2 Supercharger expansion while Raleigh is still stuck with only the North Hills (Target) V2 Superchargers, Durham has no Superchargers, nor does Chapel Hill. The Cary Supercharger is out of the way requiring a toll road drive to get to. Tesla needs to build a SC near Southpoint mall in Durham on I-40 and one in N. Durham along I-85. We also really need one on US-1 going towards Pinehurst, say in Sanford near the US-421/US-1 junction and Hwy 74 between Lumberton and Charlotte is also ripe for a Supercharger. N. Myrtle Beach also needs one.

Its also shocking Charleston, SC proper still doesn’t have a supercharger. Why???

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
So I’m sitting here wondering how Asheville gets a second supercharger location just minutes away from the existing location, plus a V2 Supercharger expansion while Raleigh is still stuck with only the North Hills (Target) V2 Superchargers, Durham has no Superchargers, nor does Chapel Hill. The Cary Supercharger is out of the way requiring a toll road drive to get to. Tesla needs to build a SC near Southpoint mall in Durham on I-40 and one in N. Durham along I-85. We also really need one on US-1 going towards Pinehurst, say in Sanford near the US-421/US-1 junction and Hwy 74 between Lumberton and Charlotte is also ripe for a Supercharger. N. Myrtle Beach also needs one.

Its also shocking Charleston, SC proper still doesn’t have a supercharger. Why???
I agree. Durham and Chapel Hill are slated for q3 and q4 of this year per the updated map from Tesla. I’ve actually proposed two locations (Waffle House and Smithfield’s) in Rockingham as it’s at the crossroads of I-74/I-73/US 1. Smithfield’s replied that Tesla wasn’t considering their Rockingham location at the moment but that some of their other locations were under consideration to get superchargers (New Bern, Jacksonville likely; Garner, Warsaw possible).

I do feel comparatively bad for folks along I-26 in SC though....

Highway 74 could definitely use one. I'm not sure what you mean about Charleston. There is one there near Tanger?

My guess is because Charleston proper is at the end of I-26. In other words, it's more of a destination instead of along a route to somewhere else. IMO, it would be good to have so-called urban chargers in Charleston at various locations, or even destination chargers at public tourist type places.

Reactions: jsight
So I’m sitting here wondering how Asheville gets a second supercharger location just minutes away from the existing location, plus a V2 Supercharger expansion while Raleigh is still stuck with only the North Hills (Target) V2 Superchargers, Durham has no Superchargers, nor does Chapel Hill.
Simple... sometimes putting a SpC where you want to becomes difficult for a variety of reasons. So my guess would be "Where's an easy place we can do in the meantime with the equipment already slated for the 'difficult' installation?"
Point is, it may not make sense now, but would certainly look smart in the future when it's desperately needed at the 'extra spot'.

That was fast. Also, I haven’t seen one of these disability-friendly spots before.
CD58B900-76C2-499B-AE16-33C08D21CEE0.jpeg
B827F6C5-079B-442D-84EA-EB93A914695C.jpeg
C32310B8-E8B4-469D-A21B-B24C98B043E6.jpeg

A lot of it has to do with the fact a ton of cars go through asheville on 40 and they commute to the area for sight seeing, during fall leaf season the ashveille chargers are very overloaded. Nobody is coming to raleigh to see the leaves and there are now, for the most part, chargers coming and going every side out of raleigh. Don't get me wrong, i think more is better clearly but I get why asheville needed an expansion. FWIW the cary charger isn't out of the way for a lot of people, especially once they get back to working in the park.

Last edited:
FYI, Durham has one being installed now (see: Supercharger - Durham NC for location/photos)

Also, to my surprise Charleston is finally getting one. looks like it's having some issues with power delivery to half of them, but there are some now (Supercharger - Charleston, SC) in case doing a google takes you here first.
North Charleston, SC supercharger opened back in October 2020. However, of late only 4/8 stalls are working.

Highway 74 could definitely use one. I'm not sure what you mean about Charleston. There is one there near Tanger?
The Charleston Supercharger is in North Charleston by the airport. I was hoping it’d be closer to the US-17/I-26 junction, much closer to the actual old-Charleston. If you’re coming from Wilmington (or Myrtle Beach) to Charleston, you have to divert 15 minutes out of your way to go to that N. Charleston location.

Anyone else tried out this SC ? I charged here with my LR Model 3 on Wed with SOC near 40%.
I was only able to get max rate of 300MPH. I got 400MPH at Greenville, SC v2 SC on way to Asheville at similar SOC.

I tried 2 different stalls with same result. I know v3 SC show best speed over v2 at really low SOC, but it shouldn’t be slower than v2

Anyone else tried out this SC ? I charged here with my LR Model 3 on Wed with SOC near 40%.
I was only able to get max rate of 300MPH. I got 400MPH at Greenville, SC v2 SC on way to Asheville at similar SOC.

I tried 2 different stalls with same result. I know v3 SC show best speed over v2 at really low SOC, but it shouldn’t be slower than v2
pre-condition?