Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC - 4 South Tunnel Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else tried out this SC ? I charged here with my LR Model 3 on Wed with SOC near 40%.
I was only able to get max rate of 300MPH. I got 400MPH at Greenville, SC v2 SC on way to Asheville at similar SOC.

I tried 2 different stalls with same result. I know v3 SC show best speed over v2 at really low SOC, but it shouldn’t be slower than v2
FYI, for the future, it is way more common to include the kW value vs the "MPH" as a unit others are used to / familiar with.

Reactions: theothertom
Just an update to say this new charger has been live for over a week. Haven’t charged there yet though, will post a picture next time I get there. Screenshot from app shows the charger online (and also the original Asheville supercharger has been expanded from 8 to 12 at the same time, also live now),
D6E16054-5743-4BA8-AD0F-E2528B55F80A.jpeg

Stopped at the original Asheville Supercharger. The newly installed add on chargers appear to be V3 based on the thin cable. I charged from a new unit but maxed out at 150kW after plugging in with a 10% battery. Not sure how this works with a mix of V2 and V3 chargers at the same location. Is it possible they will run the new V3 chargers at 150kW until they convert the older V2’s?

Stopped at the original Asheville Supercharger. The newly installed add on chargers appear to be V3 based on the thin cable. I charged from a new unit but maxed out at 150kW after plugging in with a 10% battery. Not sure how this works with a mix of V2 and V3 chargers at the same location. Is it possible they will run the new V3 chargers at 150kW until they convert the older V2’s?
Were you billed for the charge - an indication they are fully operational?

Were you billed for the charge - an indication they are fully operational?
There are definitely V2 & V3 chargers side by side. I was not billed only because I have some free miles I am using. Looking at the chargers, they are physically different. Can they operate both types simultaneous at the same location? Could they have throttled back the V3’s to 150kW? Never seen this setup before.

There are definitely V2 & V3 chargers side by side. I was not billed only because I have some free miles I am using. Looking at the chargers, they are physically different. Can they operate both types simultaneous at the same location? Could they have throttled back the V3’s to 150kW? Never seen this setup before.
It isn't common, but there are other sites like this. They have separate cabinets, so I can't think of a reason that they'd have to be throttled.

Which is not to say that oddball setups are impossible. Maybe some utility limitation would make them limit output?

So I’m sitting here wondering how Asheville gets a second supercharger location just minutes away from the existing location, plus a V2 Supercharger expansion while Raleigh is still stuck with only the North Hills (Target) V2 Superchargers, Durham has no Superchargers, nor does Chapel Hill. The Cary Supercharger is out of the way requiring a toll road drive to get to. Tesla needs to build a SC near Southpoint mall in Durham on I-40 and one in N. Durham along I-85. We also really need one on US-1 going towards Pinehurst, say in Sanford near the US-421/US-1 junction and Hwy 74 between Lumberton and Charlotte is also ripe for a Supercharger. N. Myrtle Beach also needs one.

Its also shocking Charleston, SC proper still doesn’t have a supercharger. Why???
Maybe it's in anticipation of Tesla opening a service center in Asheville? Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

I know that Tesla won't build a service center in Greenville / Spartanburg because South Carolina will not allow them to so Asheville would be the next best place to service Greenville.

Just my opinion, but....
Charleston, SC proper is a destination, not a stop on a road trip. Superchargers tend to be located for road trippers.
Asheville gets two because two interstates pass through there...I-26 and I-40.
IMO the supercharger in Columbia is for I-77 traffic. Columbia needs another one for I-26 traffic. Asheville has two, why not Columbia?
There also needs to be something else on the run from charleston to charlotte. Right now columbia is basically the only game in town and it gets BUSY during weekend travel times.

Just my opinion, but....
Charleston, SC proper is a destination, not a stop on a road trip. Superchargers tend to be located for road trippers.
Asheville gets two because two interstates pass through there...I-26 and I-40.
IMO the supercharger in Columbia is for I-77 traffic. Columbia needs another one for I-26 traffic. Asheville has two, why not Columbia?
Asheville is also roughly at the middle of the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC and gets a lot of traffic from that during peak seasons.

Stopped by just to see and to get a picture of the finished installation.
Seems like this layout will confuse some (as I've seen in Canada once) as that is a forward pull in stall. Meaning that pedestal is for the other side to use and would lower the capacity by 1 pedestal. Unless I'm missing something.

LuY4lHJ.jpg