Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
beat me to it

12122621_10153055049357827_7424750849937326415_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Google's satellite images are from before they changed the mall into the outlets, but here is the location, highlighted in green. Also, someone I know that is in the know had told me about the superchargers coming a couple months ago, but also said Tesla was there and discussions were in play about opening a store there (in the north corner of the parking lot, near where the logo is on this pic).

supercharger.jpg

Thanks, McHoffa for the clearly marked map. It can be difficult to locate the SpC in a big mall area. The newer units with the red lit Tesla letterings are helpful as well. I remember in the old days of early 2014 circling round and round an enormous outdoor mall - Port Orange FL, I think. It was dark and rainy and it ended up taking nearly 20 minutes to find the chargers hidden near the Chuck E Cheese. This adventure gets easier and easier.

Thanks, McHoffa for the clearly marked map. It can be difficult to locate the SpC in a big mall area. The newer units with the red lit Tesla letterings are helpful as well. I remember in the old days of early 2014 circling round and round an enormous outdoor mall - Port Orange FL, I think. It was dark and rainy and it ended up taking nearly 20 minutes to find the chargers hidden near the Chuck E Cheese. This adventure gets easier and easier.

The geographic, Lat/Long locations of the operating Superchargers are very accurate in the Nav screen. I have found it very helpful to put the Nav in "Sat" mode, and zoom all the way in, to find new Superchargers in large malls, etc. Seeing the location on the screen relative to your own location and an aerial view can help a lot in your navigation.

50 yards from McDonalds, Taco Bell, and Waffle House. As well, the other "food" options at the outlet mall. If one wanted to walk about 200 yards across the street (in the direction of Field and Stream) there is a great Cal-Mex place called Papas and Beer which is always busy, or Shogun Buffet is always a winner.

+1! That Papas and Beer place is great!

- - - Updated - - -

The geographic, Lat/Long locations of the operating Superchargers are very accurate in the Nav screen. I have found it very helpful to put the Nav in "Sat" mode, and zoom all the way in, to find new Superchargers in large malls, etc. Seeing the location on the screen relative to your own location and an aerial view can help a lot in your navigation.

I agree - the location of the checkered flag on the Nav screen is usually very accurate. I had no problems finding Port Orange, St. Augustine, or Savannah which would all be very hard to find if it weren't for the checkered flag being in the right place.

I just experienced that yesterday on my way back to Charotte. Reach the mall with 10 miles of range left and took 10 minutes or so to find the chargers! I switched to satellite view on the Nav and found they are near the fountain, but still took me forever to find it.

I remember Port Orange being a little tricky to find when I was through there at night.

In other news, glad to see progress in Asheville! Maybe they'll finish the I-40 corridor before my next west coast trip and I can take the Model S without adding 2000 miles to the trip. Looks like we just need a few between Nashville and Oklahoma City now.

In travelling to the Aurora SC this past summer, the nav directed us to the vacant lot and gravel parking lot across the street from the SC. It was quite emphatic that we turn right, not left, at the stop light. And because the ground slopes away on both sides of the road, while we were in the gravel parking lot, we couldn't really see the other side of the street nor the SC. It took us about ten minutes of driving around to spot it. So, the nav is great, but it's not perfect. :)

Google's satellite images are from before they changed the mall into the outlets, but here is the location, highlighted in green. Also, someone I know that is in the know had told me about the superchargers coming a couple months ago, but also said Tesla was there and discussions were in play about opening a store there (in the north corner of the parking lot, near where the logo is on this pic).

View attachment 99652

That is a great location... just came back from there yesterday - Nov 1st... (a 408 mile trip from Charlotte to Asheville and back on a 2015 Leaf - used the EV Plug chargers that are on both sides of the outlet mall)
We were at the outlets at night around 8 pm, so didn't see the construction... From what I saw, Dillards was closed... maybe permanently, so that section of parking was not busy at all.

That is a great location... just came back from there yesterday - Nov 1st... (a 408 mile trip from Charlotte to Asheville and back on a 2015 Leaf - used the EV Plug chargers that are on both sides of the outlet mall)
We were at the outlets at night around 8 pm, so didn't see the construction... From what I saw, Dillards was closed... maybe permanently, so that section of parking was not busy at all.

That part of the parking lot has ALWAYS been dead. That's why I'm told it's prime location for both superchargers and a store.

The Greenville station took six weeks from ground breaking to almost ready to open (or did it open today?). If that's typical, maybe first week in December?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll spare you the gigantic pictures this time.
These are from Tuesday evening 11/3/2015.
Definitely making progress. There were what appeared to be power company workers tunneling pipe in the background, may or may not be related.

The S looks so good in white at night

The Greenville station took six weeks from ground breaking to almost ready to open (or did it open today?). If that's typical, maybe first week in December?

Well, Greenville still isn't open. That's the big variable with these things - waiting for power to come on after all the construction is complete. Sometimes that is 1 day, sometimes it is 3 months. You just never can tell.

Well, Greenville still isn't open. That's the big variable with these things - waiting for power to come on after all the construction is complete. Sometimes that is 1 day, sometimes it is 3 months. You just never can tell.

Exactly. Construction on a normal site should take just less than 4 weeks. However since you have to work with many different local municipalities, contractors, inspectors and utility companies; you just really never know. While it might be possible to be completed before Thanksgiving, I doubt it. In the past years there have been big pushes to finish up locations prior to big holiday weekends, but since this is more off the beaten path, I don't think Tesla will push this completion too aggressively. Shouldn't be too much longer though!