Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fine job indeed! Now for a few tweaks in your diligence :)

Is the power meter on the green transformer powered on? May show 0, and that means it's powered, but not hooked up to the supercharger modules

IMG_4154.JPG

Guys, Thanks for keeping everyone up to date. We head up to Asheville on Sunday - hopefully there will be power. I have alternatives if the SC is not up and running. BTW - we took a trip to Napa, Ca this fall and they were installing a new SC in Napa at that time. That charger is still not up and operational. 79 days under construction. This is moving much faster. Have a GREAT DAY

I'm curious to see what this one looks like at night. Do the sides light up? The pedestals are different from any others that I've seen. Even the Greenville, SC pedestals are different. The sides are white(ish) on this one where all the recent ones have silver/chrome sides.

Left Asheville - Right Charlotte (but looks the same as the recent ones except the color of TESLA, that is red on the newer ones)
2015-12-10_15-05-11.jpg

And here it is next to a not so great photo of the recently opened Greenville, SC supercharger
2015-12-10_15-05-11.jpg

Edit:
Starting to think it's more likely just a plastic film that wasn't taken off.

Last edited:
Hmm... The transformer's not powered yet. I hope the local power company gets that done soon..

Greenville had to wait a week for it, some other superchargers a month or more

When I took the picture of the meter, there were two Duke Progress trucks back in the corner of the lot working on a box (I'm guessing a transformer) that I'm assuming feeds the Supercharger transformer. We'll see. As I mentioned the bystander (facilities employee?) said they were going to "inspect" today (Friday) and that it would be open "soon". I'm hopeful it will be really soon.

Things are moving along...

Pic from 12/11/2015 at 4:30PM
Crew of 4 working in the box! 3 or 4 nondescript trucks (no Tesla logos to be seen) with tools and doors open.
One of them said "Not Today!". They were pretty intent on working inside the enclosure.
Hoping will be in the next week, but who knows.

IMG_4156t.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

This "Ribbon cutting" doesn't really have the Tesla feel to me. But any grandstanding for the EV cause is welcome.
No one has asked the Mayor, so how could it be official? ;-)

It's being organized by Blue Ridge EV Club and Asheville Outlets. They also did an EV ride event a few months ago where owners of all sorts of EVs brought their cars up and gave people free rides and talked with them about how their particular EVs work, just to get the word out.

Anyone that's in the general area and wants to help spread the word about driving electric should join the club. There are opportunities to help/volunteer coming up if you have time and an EV to show off.

Burlington to Asheville

FWIW, Burlington to Asheville is barely doable, so Burlington to Knoxville is definitely a no go. The opposite direction might barely be possible driving 55 mph in perfect 72 degree weather, but it would be way too close for comfort.

I've had to make the Burlington to Asheville (home, about 2 miles from the new SC) about a dozen times. True, if you don't leave Burlington with 225 rated, then it can be a nail biter. That last uphill eats a bit of charge. 70-75 mph is what some people drive and do fine ( :wink: ). Truth is, I always make it home with about 15-30 left, so I make it in just over the rated range of use. I would be delighted, and certainly surprised if they put an SC between the two. If asked, I vote yes! I will put the full resource of my administration behind it! :smile:

I've had to make the Burlington to Asheville (home, about 2 miles from the new SC) about a dozen times. True, if you don't leave Burlington with 225 rated, then it can be a nail biter. That last uphill eats a bit of charge. 70-75 mph is what some people drive and do fine ( :wink: ). Truth is, I always make it home with about 15-30 left, so I make it in just over the rated range of use. I would be delighted, and certainly surprised if they put an SC between the two. If asked, I vote yes! I will put the full resource of my administration behind it! :smile:

Yeah... Statesville or Hickory.... or both... would be perfect.