Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That simply seems to be a tool for potential buyers to make them feel good. It only shows the most recent models and doesn't let you pick option stops/routes/etc --- as an example of why I say that.
Actually this made me realize how silly this whole discussion about "planning" your superchargers.
~200k across 2 Tesla's ... cross-country and back and up and down the east coast (Miami to Boston).

Don't remember ever needing to fish for superchargers outside what the nav already put on the route.
I've removed/skipped some... I guess maybe there are still some places that require this level of thought, but I highly doubt it's necessary in the continental US!

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Actually this made me realize how silly this whole discussion about "planning" your superchargers.
~200k across 2 Tesla's ... cross-country and back and up and down the east coast (Miami to Boston).

Don't remember ever needing to fish for superchargers outside what the nav already put on the route.
I've removed/skipped some... I guess maybe there are still some places that require this level of thought, but I highly doubt it's necessary in the continental US!
In this case the issue is that I've been reading a lot of reports over the last few days about people having to wait 45min - 1 hr during the middle of the day at the Asheville supercharger. 3 of the original 8 were out of order, and the 4 new v3 ones were not activated yet. There is a large gap to the next supercharger to the west, so this is a very busy charger. I would prefer to travel through Asheville, but had the option to travel to the north, through Bristol, which is only about 12 min longer driving time. I'd rather do that than wait an hour to charge. That's the type of situation where I think it's valuable to be able to view the availability farther away from where you are.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I've been reading a lot of reports over the last few days about people having to wait 45min - 1 hr during the middle of the day at the Asheville supercharger. 3 of the original 8 were out of order, and the 4 new v3 ones were not activated yet. There is a large gap to the next supercharger to the west, so this is a very busy charger.
It is a busy charger and we've visited it a few dozen times. Yet, in all those times I've waited a total of ~5 minutes at this location.
Now there are 2 locations in Asheville and this location has been expanded.

Reactions: JDERB
Stopped by to get a picture of the expanded Outlet Mall supercharger.

Asheville Outlet Mall Supercharger.jpg

The 7 on the left and the one to the immediate right of the big box are v2. The four in the far right are v3.
Wow !!! I was the only one of six cars using a v3 - didn't know or notice the different ones that were there. Used it twice on Jun 10th. First was about 11:30 am, level arriving was 46 miles - starting charge was 1041 kW (250 mi rate). Later that day, (3:50 pm, after a swing to Brevard, N.C. arrived with 170 miles - started at 516 kW (121 mi rate) - same pedestal as earlier. Then headed to Pigeon Forge, TN, which had not finished building yet - used Dest chargers there.

Reactions: jsight
starting charge was 1041 kW (250 mi rate).... started at 516 kW (121 mi rate)
You've got your units swapped there. Charging at 250 kW might give you 1041 mi/h, and 121 kW might give 516 mi/h. Though frankly, the mi/h rate is a silly way to measure fast charging since you're never going to get anywhere near an hour of charging at high power without experiencing taper.

I've only had my MY for a month, and I've charged here 3 times. Once was early morning before a hiking trip, so I was the only one there. I guessed that the higher numbers were the new V3 kind, but I arrived with too much SOC (> 40%) so I didn't pull much over 150 kW for very long.

The other two times were more middle of the day. First time, there were between 3 and 4 cars charging on the V2s, and I was the only one using a V3. Last time, there were over 4 cars on the V2s, so some were splitting the power output, and there was one other car on a V3. I chatted with him briefly, and he said he didn't even realize he had picked a V3 at first.

Were the other drivers just "creatures of habit" who were used to pulling into the lower numbered spots, or am I breaking some rule of charging etiquette, where I'm supposed to leave the V3s open for road-trippers with very low SOC?

am I breaking some rule of charging etiquette, where I'm supposed to leave the V3s open for road-trippers with very low SOC?
IMO, there are still some Tesla specific behaviors and norms that Tesla drivers still need to develop. Many of these behavioral adaptations will be applicable to all EV charging. Try not to overthink your choice. Presently at this point in time I think the rule of FCFS (first come first served) is applicable unless something extraordinary causes a driver to try to 'jump the line' which would involve verbal communication with others already charging or waiting to charge. Who is to say whose travelling situation is any more important than another's. The answer would be those involved but it is for those people to determine at that time. Imagine how my answer will change as EV charging matures. These are early days of EV adoption and things will change. I hope Tesla will be able to begin retrofitting existing locations with V3 charging. I'm sure some locations will not be adaptivble for a variety of reasons but some will. There might be some value in Tesla developing a slightly different appearance to a V3 charging stall in order to alert patrons. It would be interesting to learn about Tesla's reasoning for not altering the appearance of V3 Supercharger stalls.
IMO, the bottom line at this point in time is First Come First Served.

Were the other drivers just "creatures of habit" who were used to pulling into the lower numbered spots, or am I breaking some rule of charging etiquette, where I'm supposed to leave the V3s open for road-trippers with very low SOC?
I'd say, in this case, most people don't know there is a mix of V2 and V3. Normally, V3 stalls don't have the A-B-C designation. I don't know if that's true in Asheville or not.
If you're above 40%, and there are adjacent stalls open on the V2 side, I'd use the V2's

Just stopped by this supercharger yesterday on the way to Bryson City/Robbinsville area, initially pulled into a V2 stall and the guy in the Model Y pointed out that there were V3’s at the end so I moved down. Never been to a station with a mix so I never thought to look at the cable thickness as the car has it listed as a 250kw station.

Thanks Model Y guy!

4FC5CA11-7829-4409-8ED2-56A2502F9BA9.jpeg
720587E5-E5C3-4C82-A2FC-550B77BF32D7.jpeg

Also really depends. I think there are only 4 v3 there so you would be better off having your own V2 pair than being the 3rd or 4th on the V3 charger assuming all cars are pulling real high current. In your instance with only 2 cars, always better. :)

Also really depends. I think there are only 4 v3 there so you would be better off having your own V2 pair than being the 3rd or 4th on the V3 charger assuming all cars are pulling real high current. In your instance with only 2 cars, always better. :)
Personally, I'd *always* pick the v3 one since the other 3 stalls taper fairly fast from the max (250 kW) ... plus people come in and out of the v2 pairs regularly. In the end, it probably doesn't make but a few minutes difference either way. I've actually jumped off the v3 ones there if I was tapered pretty far and the other 3 were busy to let a newcomer get a v3 at > 150 kW. (tapered far down ... was staying locally but a fair ways away and wanted to fill up to 95%)

Red line tapering at ~20% - 45% to v2 levels ...

The graphic you listed is SR vs long range on V3 not V2 vs V3. V2, unless the cable/plug is overheating, will hold ~145kW until the normal V3 taper point at 145k and then they taper as same rate. Either way, V3s are simple and people don't have to think about where they plug in and MOST of the time they are the better choice.