Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Asheville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also really depends. I think there are only 4 v3 there so you would be better off having your own V2 pair than being the 3rd or 4th on the V3 charger assuming all cars are pulling real high current. In your instance with only 2 cars, always better. :)
Maybe I don't understand you post, but V3s don't share power like V2s. So it doesn't matter if all 4 V3s are in use, each will draw max power depending on SOC.

Maybe I don't understand you post, but V3s don't share power like V2s. So it doesn't matter if all 4 V3s are in use, each will draw max power depending on SOC.
It isn't exactly true that v3 never shares power. With a 4 stall like that one, I think peak is actually less than 600kw across all stalls. Possibly even less depending on the transformer sizing. It doesn't limit often, but it can in some cases.

The graphic you listed is SR vs long range on V3 not V2 vs V3. V2, unless the cable/plug is overheating, will hold ~145kW until the normal V3 taper point at 145k and then they taper as same rate. Either way, V3s are simple and people don't have to think about where they plug in and MOST of the time they are the better choice.
It was a tweet that I found and its *ONLY* purpose was to show how long the 250 kW level last. ie. not very long

It isn't exactly true that v3 never shares power. With a 4 stall like that one, I think peak is actually less than 600kw across all stalls. Possibly even less depending on the transformer sizing. It doesn't limit often, but it can in some cases.
Then maybe this article is a bit optimistic:
"Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you"

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Then maybe this article is a bit optimistic:
"Supercharger stations with V3’s new power electronics are designed to enable any owner to charge at the full power their battery can take – no more splitting power with a vehicle in the stall next to you"
Definitely a little optimistic. I've seen it happen at an 8 stall setup. I expect it to happen more with bigger battery vehicles like cybertruck in the future too.

But as @SigNC pointed out, the cabinets share power too. This means it is still much better than the V2 case except in an extreme worst case.

Reactions: theothertom