Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ashland, OR (LIVE 1 Sep 2023, 24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Ashland.news, Tesla is planning a new 24 stall supercharger in town. Details here (H/T to @MarcoRP for posting this on Twitter):

B28A4F9A-12F9-4EDB-B065-724FFCDD4E5F.jpeg
DE64687A-7383-4570-AE93-35BC68930877.jpeg
0E9A602B-8F47-4331-AB00-7A138B78E703.jpeg
AA2C5FFE-B7C0-46F8-9787-798D89AC655B.jpeg
CC33B23C-24B5-49C0-90C1-BB8B872B1231.jpeg

According to Ashland.news, Tesla is planning a new 24 stall supercharger in town. Details here (H/T to @MarcoRP for posting this on Twitter):

"electric car giant"

Remember when they'd write "upstart electric car maker"?

Mini splitter (gap is only 55 miles) but big for capacity and density in the area.

Reactions: alpinehijinx
"electric car giant"

Remember when they'd write "upstart electric car maker"?

Mini splitter (gap is only 55 miles) but big for capacity and density in the area.
Yea this is awesome, especially with all the the lodging around it for when the pass closes during snow storms. With this and Yreka there is very little to worry about now

This looks like a good location but it may take time for approval. Oregon has extensive land use regulations. What was photographed is a request for a conditional use permit. It is not a permit to build the site. Conditional use means a change from the normally allowed zoning use which in this case is E-1. The City of Ashland defines that as "Employment-1- The district is designed to provide for a variety of uses such as office, retail, or manufacturing in an aesthetic environment and having a minimal impact on surrounding uses. " Conditional use permits are a routine occurrence. They allow for public comment which in this case ends 8-1-22. The comments & the conditional use permit will be reviewed by the planning commission & also the City Council, which have to look at how this affects overall land use in the city. But all of this adds delay however well intended. After a conditional use is approved is when the necessary building permits are issued by the city staff.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: house9 and kavyboy
(I note a slight confusion in the article, which included a comment about businesses charging fees for destination charging.)

Ashland, OR

Host Type: Vacant Lot
Host: Vacant Lot
Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-5

To: Medford, OR - 16.8 miles
Diversion: 0.6 miles
To: Grants Pass, OR - 44.7 miles

Mini split of a 54.9 mile gap, providing 24 stalls on the north side of a pass which can be closed due to snow or wildfires.
It's one of a few remaining gaps of 50 miles or more, most of which have identified locations for splitting.

Mini split of a 54.9 mile gap, providing 24 stalls on the north side of a pass which can be closed due to snow or wildfires.
It's one of a few remaining gaps of 50 miles or more, most of which have identified locations for splitting.

Are you referring to Interstate gaps across the U.S. in general? Or just I-5?

This site will be very handy for folks attending the Shakespear plays. And with 24 stalls, definitely provides added capacity over Medford and Yreka. When I was at the Medford SC a couple weeks ago, four of the twelve stalls were inop. Really unusual.

Are you referring to Interstate gaps across the U.S. in general? Or just I-5?

This site will be very handy for folks attending the Shakespear plays. And with 24 stalls, definitely provides added capacity over Medford and Yreka. When I was at the Medford SC a couple weeks ago, four of the twelve stalls were inop. Really unusual.
Play attendees are actually pretty well covered by a number of L2 locations in town at zero cost. It's pretty sweet. I'm thinking this makes far more sense for through traffic, as it's pretty easy for some of the smaller nearby locations to get full.

Play attendees are actually pretty well covered by a number of L2 locations in town at zero cost. It's pretty sweet. I'm thinking this makes far more sense for through traffic, as it's pretty easy for some of the smaller nearby locations to get full.
Those chargers are getting more and more occupied even outside of summer, but they are surprisingly fast L2. Most are 48 amp from what I’ve seen.

Yay! I've been asking for Ashland for years. Yes, there are a few L2s here and there, but I think this location will serve Ashland OSF/winery/hiking tourist well, as well as through traffic on I-5. It's right in my back yard, so to speak, so I'd probably rarely use it. But when I was here as a tourist, I would have loved it.

"The owner of a local solar company has asked the city of Ashland to rethink a proposed Tesla charging station poised to be built on Clover Lane....It will benefit only Tesla and none of our local car dealerships who are expanding their electrical vehicle offerings nor their clients. Also, the facility will be of no benefit to the city and its growing fleet of electric vehicles, none of which are Tesla to my knowledge,” Sharpe wrote.

The Tesla hate is real. The supercharger will bring additional business as incrementally more vehicles get off I-5 in Ashland, and as as long as they are there and hungry, they'll seek out local businesses. That SC will eventually have CCS cables and be open to all EVs with CCS fast charging bringing even more business to Ashland.

I don’t know that this is Tesla hate, but I do think Jeff Sharpe is misguided to think that somehow there should be other charging companies at this site which he implies. Or that their grid can’t handle the load which is kind of silly. All of this has to be reviewed by engineers & Tesla won’t put a supercharger at a site with insufficient electricity. Tesla is competing with the legacy dealerships that have in some cases tried to prevent Tesla from selling their cars. I don’t see how they should have to accommodate them. His other arguments against the site are pretty weak. Does he think that a vacant lot provides any benefit to Ashland? After a little thought I wonder if this is because he competes with Tesla Solar? Maybe there’s some jealousy? All he will accomplish is a slight delay & a general waste of air when this is appealed. Ask the business owners how they feel about Tesla installing a supercharger near their businesses.

Reactions: bruce4000
TC Chevy, an electric vehicle dealer in Southern Oregon, is going solar via Stracker Solar, which specializes in installing elevated solar trackers. Each of the five dual-axis solar trackers that will tower above the vehicles at the dealership will carry an array of 28 LONGi 445W bifacial solar panels atop its 20 ft pole. They will sport high-power LED display lighting for the illumination of the display lot.

“We believe in cutting-edge technology,” says Derek DeBoer, 3rd generation Owner/Operator of TC Chevy. “Our cars and trucks feature the latest designs and manufacturing practices, and we wanted a solar power system that does the same. The fact that the Strackers are the most efficient and impressive solar solution currently available has sealed the deal.”

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian