Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ashland, OR (LIVE 1 Sep 2023, 24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very curious how much Ashland is pitching in for this. I assume he’s upset over them providing the land for free or something. If that’s the case the city could easily overcome that by setting a parcel roughly the same size aside for 12 months or something giving other EV manufacturers or sales centers to build a charger. If they don’t act within that time then the deal expires.

If Ashland is actually throwing some money at Tesla to get this charger, well that’s a very interesting and curious sign!

(I wonder if people would oppose a diesel only fueling station… most non-commercial vehicles [other than big trucks] wouldn’t benefit from it…)

I’m very curious how much Ashland is pitching in for this. I assume he’s upset over them providing the land for free or something. If that’s the case the city could easily overcome that by setting a parcel roughly the same size aside for 12 months or something giving other EV manufacturers or sales centers to build a charger. If they don’t act within that time then the deal expires.

If Ashland is actually throwing some money at Tesla to get this charger, well that’s a very interesting and curious sign!

(I wonder if people would oppose a diesel only fueling station… most non-commercial vehicles [other than big trucks] wouldn’t benefit from it…)
The land was (or is?) privately owned, nothing to do with the city. I remember reading who the owner was but can't find it now.

What the City Electric guy is saying as far as I can figure is that they need to do work in that area anyway, and essentially Tesla will be paying for half of it, since it would cover the new line needed. Without the Supercharger, the city would have to pay for all of it.

In the quote I provided regarding solar guy, it seems he's speaking on behalf of the chevy car dealership, for whom he installed a major solar panel installation. Quite funny.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
The site in question has no existing business, though space has been set aside for potential future development, while it is also in close proximity to numerous existing restaurant and lodging options. The current owner, according to Jackson County property records, is Asia Johnson, of Ashland, who acquired the site in March of 2021 for $250,000. Johnson could not immediately be reached for comment.

The land was (or is?) privately owned, nothing to do with the city. I remember reading who the owner was but can't find it now.

What the City Electric guy is saying as far as I can figure is that they need to do work in that area anyway, and essentially Tesla will be paying for half of it, since it would cover the new line needed. Without the Supercharger, the city would have to pay for all of it.

In the quote I provided regarding solar guy, it seems he's speaking on behalf of the chevy car dealership, for whom he installed a major solar panel installation. Quite funny.
Asia Johnson was listed as the land owner

Image 9-8-22 at 12.57.jpeg

What dicks. Pay for your own chargers if you want benefits to "all our car dealerships."

If anything they should be bitching to the city that the city isn't building something. Tesla came in and decided to take care of their own people and build a location. How much money have those dealerships made during the pandemic with used car prices and above MSRP sales. Build same damn chargers, don't bitch about someone else doing it.

It helps to have all of the information needed to rebut the poor arguments. Average daily traffic isn’t going to grow by 50% with the addition of this site, more like several dozen each day & some of those will probably stay at the hotel. With so many Teslas driving through Ashland this site will provide many dollars of economic growth to the community. Oh yeah a lot better air quality too. I don’t understand what this guy thinks he’s going to accomplish by delaying construction for a few weeks.

What dicks. Pay for your own chargers if you want benefits to "all our car dealerships."

If anything they should be bitching to the city that the city isn't building something. Tesla came in and decided to take care of their own people and build a location. How much money have those dealerships made during the pandemic with used car prices and above MSRP sales. Build same damn chargers, don't bitch about someone else doing it.
It helps to have all of the information needed to rebut the poor arguments. Average daily traffic isn’t going to grow by 50% with the addition of this site, more like several dozen each day & some of those will probably stay at the hotel. With so many Teslas driving through Ashland this site will provide many dollars of economic growth to the community. Oh yeah a lot better air quality too. I don’t understand what this guy thinks he’s going to accomplish by delaying construction for a few weeks.
He has 100% made sure I will never do business with him, at the minimum..

One of the other public comments was from a Ford EV owner, who said we don't need a 24 stall supercharger because one of the local wineries has 2 HPWC available, and her ford app shows no charging around for her vehicle.

The city has in fact built chargers downtown! There are 10 free level 2 chargers in a free open public parking lot, right in the middle of town.

The one argument I agree with is that the site seems unsuitable for trucks because of the tight turn and narrow road. I would think that of all charging locations, they would want to future proof this particular location for truck travel. But Tesla must have thought of that, I guess.

As for the other arguments, I am reminded of this:

• Funny
Reactions: finman100
But this is the first stop after the pass, or the last one before it. This is where trucks would stop if the pass is closed. This is also where cars, and in the future, trucks, would go if they run into trouble of any kind on the Siskiyou pass. It's strange that there's no service center here, and none planned apparently, and that the supercharger may not work for trucks. It seems unfortunate to me.

and that the supercharger may not work for trucks. It seems unfortunate to me.
It will work for trucks, it might not work well for trucks pulling trailers. (Which will probably be a very small percentage of the daily users of any particular Supercharger.) I don't know if there will be a place on-site to drop a trailer when charging, maybe they will have to drop it on the street while charging.

The one argument I agree with is that the site seems unsuitable for trucks because of the tight turn and narrow road
Going back to this, what is this tight-turn and narrow road you are speaking of? The road looks plenty wide enough for cars parked on both sides of the street as well two lanes of traffic, and I don't see a tight turn... (Yes there is a narrow section closer to the main road, but it doesn't look like they allow street parking in that section and it is straight, so no problem there.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
But this is the first stop after the pass, or the last one before it. This is where trucks would stop if the pass is closed. This is also where cars, and in the future, trucks, would go if they run into trouble of any kind on the Siskiyou pass. It's strange that there's no service center here, and none planned apparently, and that the supercharger may not work for trucks. It seems unfortunate to me.
There is no semi servicing or parking anywhere in Ashland today, it's all right up the road and well established in Phoenix. Tons of room for further truck specific development there with much less roadblocks.

Reactions: Yapa Drive
There is no semi servicing or parking anywhere in Ashland today, it's all right up the road and well established in Phoenix. Tons of room for further truck specific development there with much less roadblocks.
OK, if it is Semis that GreenDriver is talking about, then that is a non-issue as I doubt that Semis are going to be using any Supercharger sites. (They couldn't unless they have an adapter as they wouldn't be able to plug in, since they will have an MCS port; not a Tesla or CCS port.) They will be charging at MegaCharger locations, sited and dedicated, for Semi trucks. (Likely co-located with existing truck stops.)