Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ashland, OR (LIVE 1 Sep 2023, 24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going back to this, what is this tight-turn and narrow road you are speaking of
I drove there after it was announced and that's how it felt to me. Other people apparently had this same concern.

There is no semi servicing or parking anywhere in Ashland today

Sometimes when the pass closes due to snow, Ashland fills with trucks. They used to stop in a large empty lot by Shop n'Kart. Last time this happened they just filled all the streets.

I know there's no servicing, for cars either. I'm saying there should be.

Edited to add: yes, I'm talking about Semis. Thinking ahead.

As I said, Semis aren't likely to be using any Supercharger sites. They just aren't designed for it, and don't have the correct connector, or placement of said connector. (Yes, I know Tesla has used some Superchargers when testing the prototype Tesla Semi, with a jerry-rigged adapter cable system. But they normally had to block off a large chunk of the site when doing so, and that isn't going to be acceptable.)

They will have their own infrastructure. (It will be interesting to see if the Cybertruck will be MCS compatible, maybe with an adapter, so people towing with it could use MegaCharger locations.)

When taking the left turn from clover back on to Ashland St, it's a little bit odd just because there's some decent elevation and curvature coming from the right hand side and traffic moves decently fast. I don't think it will be an issue for most people, but could certainly be better in an ideal scenario.

I drove there after it was announced and that's how it felt to me. Other people apparently had this same concern.

Sometimes when the pass closes due to snow, Ashland fills with trucks. They used to stop in a large empty lot by Shop n'Kart. Last time this happened they just filled all the streets.

I know there's no servicing, for cars either. I'm saying there should be.

Tesla doesn't have the resources to build service centers at every location before a mountain pass. The idea (and hope) is that the reduced complexity will cut the need for service other than routine maintenance that can be planned in advance. In it's unexpected issues like tires, well they aren't any difference than a normal vehicle and can go where ever. If you mean road services like food/shower/etc then go set up a business there, sounds like it's a key spot. Tesla operates very few lounges and that isn't really their model. I would like Tesla to build safe reliable restrooms on site (maybe access code from the Tesla screen) and contract for them to be serviced, but honestly as the years go by we'll see more and more human options getting built next to the chargers, not chargers trying to be built near businesses.

Reactions: GreenDriver
For one, it increases the likelihood of certain essential amenities,
What certain essential amenities are needed? (That apparently haven't actually been essential for ~10 years.) I know items like windshield cleaning supplies, air compressors, garbage cans, etc. would be nice, but they aren't what I would classify as essential. (And providing some of them are sort of problematic at a non-staffed site.) At one point Elon did mention adding air compressors to Supercharger sites, but that doesn't seem like it has happened...

I know that in at least some states gas stations are required to provide water and air compressor services; I'm sort of surprised that that hasn't been applied to EV charging stations... (Well maybe not the water.)

Tesla won't have any semis on the road for quite some time.
Elon says that they will be delivering some starting sometime in the next 4 months... So that seems like it will be before "quite some time." Of course, they will probably be used on dedicated routes with charging on each end. (And maybe somewhere in the middle, if necessary, but that doesn't seem likely to start with.)

Tesla doesn't have the resources to build service centers at every location before a mountain pass. The idea (and hope) is that the reduced complexity will cut the need for service other than routine maintenance that can be planned in advance. In it's unexpected issues like tires, well they aren't any difference than a normal vehicle and can go where ever. If you mean road services like food/shower/etc then go set up a business there, sounds like it's a key spot. Tesla operates very few lounges and that isn't really their model. I would like Tesla to build safe reliable restrooms on site (maybe access code from the Tesla screen) and contract for them to be serviced, but honestly as the years go by we'll see more and more human options getting built next to the chargers, not chargers trying to be built near businesses.
This is the problem:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 4.35.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 4.35.48 PM.png
    672.8 KB · Views: 104
Hopefully we get a tesla semi charge hub for my own amusement. We are about ~400 miles north of Fremont and 300-450 miles south of Portland and Seattle. All the PNW & western Canada cars are trucked through here, let’s see how that 500 mile range really is :)

As the country transitions to an EV centered road system, having places for light trucks with trailers to charge may be something to consider. But we’re not in that place yet. This site will be well suited for the intended use, cars & light trucks without trailers. Semi trucks need lots of space to maneuver. Mega chargers will need to be placed in other locations. Tesla is clearly not finished building the supercharger network.

Wanted to chime in and say that a Medford Service Center is inevitable. We can anticipate it once Bend and Portland reach capacity. Tesla used to offer people like me in Southern Oregon mobile service where a tech would drive from Bend. He would do so 1 day a week and hit 6 clients same day, etc. No longer being offered, so I had to drive 7 hours roundtrip to have my 12v battery replaced in Bend last week, and I have to the 7 hours again next week when the rear camera harness comes in for a recall on my M3.

Wanted to chime in and say that a Medford Service Center is inevitable. We can anticipate it once Bend and Portland reach capacity. Tesla used to offer people like me in Southern Oregon mobile service where a tech would drive from Bend. He would do so 1 day a week and hit 6 clients same day, etc. No longer being offered, so I had to drive 7 hours roundtrip to have my 12v battery replaced in Bend last week, and I have to the 7 hours again next week when the rear camera harness comes in for a recall on my M3.
I don't think this is a change in policy, but a lack of mobile technicians. They still have me on deferred repairs for when mobile service resumes.

I don't think this is a change in policy, but a lack of mobile technicians. They still have me on deferred repairs for when mobile service resumes.
I don’t want to take this thread off track but I can confirm that there is a shortage of mobile technicians. I spoke to one last month from the Portland area who told me there are several openings in that area. Medford expansion will open up Southern Oregon and the most northern part of California. Superchargers are quickly opening in both areas.

Yep. We're in Talent, and just had repairs done in Bend. They assured me Medford is coming, though offered no specifics.

• Informative
Reactions: 3'sterly
Yeah, but I don't think a service center in Ashland is the solution. Maybe one in Salem, Eugene, Medford, and/or Redding would make sense and help. But there needs to be enough local ownership to make it worthwhile.

Service centers just aren't a destination for people.
They are building one in Salem.

I have been running by this lot every few days and have seen nothing happening yet. hopefully soon..
You don't need to drive by every few days. This hasn't event passed through the planning commission yet. Then it needs to pass through the building department before a building permit is issued and construction can begin.

You posted the appeal response on Sept 8. The Public Type 1 hearing was on the Planning Commission Agenda on Sept 13.
1664395766664.png

I can't find a recording of it but they should have presented that the appeal was denied paving way for the planning approval to follow to the building department. We will find out in a week or two when the September approved permits are posted here Building Permit Log - Building Division - Community Development - City of Ashland, Oregon if it has been issued or not. Also, it will show up on an 811 request before they can actually start digging. It has not shown up as of now.