Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Atascadero, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the usage and a minimum of 4.5 hours of being idle, that's probably going to have cost him a fee of ~$200.
They should have a progressive scale on that for these situations. Like if the chargers are full/mostly full for 1+ hours, the rate doubles, another hour it doubles again, etc. $200 seems like a tiny penalty for the inconvenience caused to other drivers.

Anyone been to this one lately? Still my favorite along 101. Hoping they have added some of those temporary pedestals given the waits.

Yes Saturday late afternoon 3/8 stalls free when i arrived.

Today (Monday) 1pm all stalls busy plus 4 waiting. 20mins wait for a charge slot

Btw, I highly recommend the bakery at the Carlton Hotel a short walk up the road. Much better than a stop at Starbucks

Local Tesla owner here. A couple of other alternatives for food and drink within about a half mile.

Malibu Brew (Yelp review) - by the park (north) across El Camino Real. Shaded patio. Doc Burnstein's ice cream (local favorite), smoothies, burritos. Park available for kids to burn off some energy. No playground but lots of grassy area for frisbee or chasing the dog.
Byblos Mediterranean food - north to the Carlton hotel and right on Traffic Way about a half block. Small indoor dining areal. Shaded outdoor tables, nice in summer.
Streetside Ale House - A couple doors south of Carlton Hotel. Lots of variety. Nice outdoor patio. Dogs allowed on patio. Can get noisy inside
Central Coast Cafe (Yelp review) - Across the street from Byblos. Good size menu and seating area. Quiet. Breakfast and lunch
Sylvester's Burgers - Good old fashioned big juicy (greasy) burgers. Dog friendly patio. Bring a bib!
Kuma - A food truck next door to Sylvester's selling asian fusion is there most days too - Never eaten at the food truck so YMMV.
SLODOCO
- SLO Donut Company. Opened recently. Open 5 a.m to 10 p.m. KIller donuts and coffee. Nice patio (dog friendly?) with a fireplace. Right across the street from the charger. Good and good for ya!

As a side note, the charger appears busy on weekdays after work hours. Looks like mostly after work folks, but still stalls available. Google's site for the charger has some information on busy times that looks pretty accurate. Not live information like the Tesla information but some good history.

Enjoy

Great list - thanks! Sylvester's Burgers ranks as one of my best burgers in 2018. Excellent.
They need to add a few more stalls here... from my experience (and the Google graph) the peak is mid-day with fewer people there earlier and later? Last 2 times I went there was a line so I gave up & went to Madonna Inn. Right now, 340 pm on a Thursday, 8 out of 10 are available but I guarantee if I check tomorrow at 1 pm it will be full.

Here now, down one stall. Has a 40 min sign sitting in it. On way down Nav said “closed supercharger on route to destination”. Guess that refers to the one stall? Alert in Orange and the Atascadero location had an orange coloring as well. First time we have seen this message.

Rate of charge at 92 mi on our 75D started at 101kW, probably fastest rate we ever seen here the few times we’ve stopped here.

Alert for anyone heading this way to charge this afternoon around now. Expect a wait. One stall out of commission.

We passed on charging at San Luis Obisbo as it was full and just headed north to Atascadero. Since we were here on Friday someone had pulled the 40 min parking sign from the last far left stall (it was down for repair then) and still not working today except that person who moved the sign didn’t put it back blocking the space. No orange cones to put in the signs place or tape to tie to the charger. I doubted it was fixed already but husband pulled into anyway. As we went to move from that spot into the last remaining spot available, a Vroom plated pre-refreshed Tesla car pulled into it, so now sitting here waiting with another car behind us now. Really wish Tesla had a better system of marking down stalls and getting the back on line faster. A third car is in line waiting now.

One pulled out so now we’re charging SoC at 90 miles, and charging at 28kW, says 1hr. 10. Another Tesla pulled in wait line...3 Model 3s. 4 Model 3s waiting. 2 leaving so wait count is down to 2. People waiting are socializing so that’s nice to see. Other owner said he was charging at 27kW. One guy gave up and left. Another car pulled out so free spot right now.

Last edited:
Alert for anyone heading this way to charge this afternoon around now. Expect a wait. One stall out of commission.

We passed on charging at San Luis Obisbo as it was full and just headed north to Atascadero. Since we were here on Friday someone had pulled the 40 min parking sign from the last far left stall (it was down for repair then) and still not working today except that person who moved the sign didn’t put it back blocking the space. No orange cones to put in the signs place or tape to tie to the charger. I doubted it was fixed already but husband pulled into anyway. As we went to move from that spot into the last remaining spot available, a Vroom plated pre-refreshed Tesla car pulled into it, so now sitting here waiting with another car behind us now. Really wish Tesla had a better system of marking down stalls and getting the back on line faster. A third car is in line waiting now.

One pulled out so now we’re charging SoC at 90 miles, and charging at 28kW, says 1hr. 10. Another Tesla pulled in wait line...3 Model 3s. 4 Model 3s waiting. 2 leaving so wait count is down to 2. People waiting are socializing so that’s nice to see. Other owner said he was charging at 27kW. One guy gave up and left. Another car pulled out so free spot right now.
That was quite the stream of consciousness!

You know the folks who are amazed you drive an EV, and ask about how long it takes to charge, and can you really do long-distance travel? Then they say it's just not for them. They lack the confidence or whatever. Don't tell those people this story. It won't help.

Friday we drove from Sacramento to Arroyo Grande, CA for the weekend. We arrived with about 50% on the battery. We had some outings over the weekend that drew that down further. Yesterday about noon we headed for home, knowing our first stop would be a Supercharger. So off we went to the Atascadero Supercharger. We arrived with 39 miles of range showing. In the yellow zone. We got the last open stall, and plugged in. Got the happy clunk as charging began, and started munching our burritos we'd picked up on the way into town.

Then I noticed the range was showing 42 miles. What? Why isn't the display updating? We were getting 6kW. That is not a typo. Not 150. Not 120. 6! 25mi/hr of range being added. We do better than that in our garage with our 14-50. People were wandering from car to car complaining about the very low charge rates. I think ours may have been the worst, but others were talking about only getting 40 or 50 mi/hr of range. I considered trying another stall as soon as one opened, but by this time a line had formed. I tried unplugging and restarting, just for fun. No better.

We considered backtracking to San Luis Obispo, but the map showed it as full, and there's no way to know how long its line was. Our choices for next charging stations were Salinas (101 miles) and Kettleman City (66 miles). (Either route works to get home to Sac.) So Kettleman it was. We did the Sunday NYT crossword. One hour and seven minutes--better than our average for a Sunday. We took a bio break in the adjacent Denny's. We walked along the line of six Teslas awaiting stalls and talked to them all so folks would know what the situation was.

Finally we left with 79 miles of range, and headed to Kettleman City, with the car warning us about speed. I kept it at or below the speed limit the whole way. There are several ranges to cross. I kept watching the difference between the miles on the battery and the miles left to travel. It hovered around 13 most of the way, but dipped to about 5 after a range climb. Then we'd get most of that back on the descent. We rolled into Kettleman in the red zone with 12 miles. That 141 kW charge sure looked pretty!

So, do any of you electrical engineers know what was going on in Atascadero? If the thing was outright broken, I could understand it delivering zero power. But everyone seemed to be getting power, just weaker than anyone had ever experienced before. Way weaker.

Oh, this was comical. There was a Tesla sign saying charging time is limited to 40 minutes. It took us well over an hour and a half to get enough to limp to Kettleman City.

I had the same issue happen to me in a supercharger in Austin, TX. I even changed to another stall making sure I was in a different circuit. Same result. I ended up charging just enough to go to another supercharger and charge up to continue my trip. Second supercharger worked as expected.
I would imagine there was some sort of malfunction at the supercharging station, I didn't ask any of the other cars if they were having issues.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Don't tell those people this story.
You just told the entire online world your story. Which of course is your choice.

You had the unfortunate experience of connecting at a Supercharger location that wasn’t working properly. It happens, but when viewed in context of the likely tens of thousands of successful Supercharger sessions that occur every day, it is an uncommon event.

You just told the entire online world your story. Which of course is your choice.

You had the unfortunate experience of connecting at a Supercharger location that wasn’t working properly. It happens, but when viewed in context of the likely tens of thousands of successful Supercharger sessions that occur every day, it is an uncommon event.
Indeed. That's why it stood out so sharply from our typical experience!

I was in Atascadero last week. 2 of the 8 chargers were not working properly and there was a line 9 deep because it was the long weekend. Charge rate seemed fine for the 6 stalls. I had skipped SLO because the line was at least 10 deep there when I drove up. Atascadero was showing two vacant stalls on the Nav, but that was because people knew not to use them because of the malfunction.

Reactions: CharleyBC
I've had to wait a few times in Buellton. It happens at SLO. And I gather that even if Atascadero is working (or even 6/8 working), it gets lines.
Sometimes. I have been there multiple times this year and never had to wait or had a slow charge rate.

I was there in June 2017 hours after a SpaceX launch at Vandenburg. The line was 8 cars long, SF Bay Area Tesla owners going home after watching the launch. Obviously, Tesla cannot provide enough Supercharger stalls in that kind of peak travel situation.

I've had to wait a few times in Buellton. It happens at SLO. And I gather that even if Atascadero is working (or even 6/8 working), it gets lines. Sounds like we could use some more capacity along US 101!
SLO is expanding with additional V3 and possibly V2 chargers.
Atascadero has a Level 2 similar to the old Rabo Bank in Goleta which provides 70A. Nobody was using it the other day when it was busy.