Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Atascadero, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the cables are due to slow charging, I am charging here now and it getting full speed for the whole time. Last time I was here everyone was getting slow rates, we all called, hope it helped. That was two weeks ago so good job on teslas part to come quickly and change cables.

No problem charging there last Sunday during a downpour.

Only 1 other Tesla there when I arrived, 50 minutes later with a 90 percent charge, left with 7 others remaining and an 8th came in to take the spot I was occupying up til then.

Dinner at Que'Pasa was delicious, I highly recommend it!

Charged at Atascadero yesterday afternoon. The charging operation itself was pretty uneventful (no signs of degraded performance on the stall I was using), but I noticed a security guard stationed there. I'm pretty sure he was there just for the Supercharger station...when we walked across the street to Subway for a snack I noticed him standing in front of the rock next to the singleton stall on the Denny's side. When we came back I noticed a pickup truck parked next to that stall (it might have been there before) and he was talking to another person in a security guard uniform. If I had gone to talk to them (didn't think about this for some reason at the time), I would have asked them if there were there to guard the cars or guard the Tesla equipment.

Bruce.

This supercharger is packed right now with 9 cars waiting. I believe there are several events in the area, some weddings, and people returning from the space X launch at Vandenberg two hours ago
IMG_4084.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and apacheguy
This supercharger is packed right now with 9 cars waiting. I believe there are several events in the area, some weddings, and people returning from the space X launch at Vandenberg two hours ago
And sure enough, it's a Sunday afternoon. It's almost predictable in a way.

Was anyone using the 70A charger, off to the left of the superchargers? I suppose the line would have to be pretty long before it would be worth spending 3 hours or so at the slower charger. Plus you'd need dual chargers to take advantage of the 70 amps.

Was anyone using the 70A charger, off to the left of the superchargers?
As soon as I saw the line up I drove to the L2 charger you refer to and checked but there was a Volt plugged in there.

I ended up waiting less than 30 minutes for a Supercharger pedestal to open up, not as long a wait as I anticipated. Everyone was well behaved and the line moved smoothly.
Heading there next Friday. Hope Friday's are not as bad as Sunday's.
I doubt you will see anywhere near the crowd I experienced. I believe the crowding I saw was due to the unusual combination of: the annual wine festival, multiple big weddings in the area (according to the motel manager I spoke to at the Vino Inn across the street), Sunday summer travel, and the SpaceX launch at Vandenburg a few hours earlier. I was amazed at how many Tesla owners I talked to at this Supercharger who had gone to the launch!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Macbest
As soon as I saw the line up I drove to the L2 charger you refer to and checked but there was a Volt plugged in there.

I ended up waiting less than 30 minutes for a Supercharger pedestal to open up, not as long a wait as I anticipated. Everyone was well behaved and the line moved smoothly.
I doubt you will see anywhere near the crowd I experienced. I believe the crowding I saw was due to the unusual combination of: the annual wine festival, multiple big weddings in the area (according to the motel manager I spoke to at the Vino Inn across the street), Sunday summer travel, and the SpaceX launch at Vandenburg a few hours earlier. I was amazed at how many Tesla owners I talked to at this Supercharger who had gone to the launch!
Coming home from Santa Cruz yesterday and bypassed 101 and took 5 for just this reason (SpaceX launch). A little nervous about Harris Ranch but it was fine (20 stalls is nice!). Good to have options.

I suspect it was also attendees coming back from the TMC conference. We made sure we left around 8 am from Monterey and got to Atascadero at 10 am. By the time we left 30 minutes later there were 4 cars waiting. Also appeared to be some locals charging too.

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad
We were at the TMC event, arrived at Atascadero just after 6:30PM Sunday. This is the first time we have ever arrived at a supercharger and had to wait. The wait was only 10 minutes but other people were complaining of slow charge rates ~20kW. Two other cars there had also come from TMC. We found out about the Space X launch the next day at one of the wineries.

Our car charged at 8kW for 5 minutes or so, then moved up to 40kW. As we were paired, I suspected that was possibly normal. We went to eat at Kochi, were done at 8:15 with the car just approaching full charge at 279 rated miles (we arrived at 55 rated miles). Obviously the charge rate improved during some of the time we were at dinner.

We passed by the next morning and the charger was empty. We charged again at Buellton ~5:30PM and only one other Tesla was there.

As I'm retired I try to avoid being in transit during Friday/Sunday travel peaks. This was our first such experience and fortunately the level of inconvenience was minor.

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest
Confirmed. Was planning to charge there on way back from Santa Barbara but Nav said Atascadero closed. I called Tesla and they confirmed it was inaccessible due to parking lot maintenance and no estimate on when it was opening. I detoured to Buellton for full charge and hopefully will make it to either Seaside or Gilroy.

Good to know. Did it look like they were expanding the number of stalls?

Did not seem to be an expansion.