Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Atascadero, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove thru the area last month during the day and there were 4-5 cars there both coming and going when we stopped so it does get traffic during the week. Imagine alot of people traveling for business so probably no really good time to do the paving.

For our trip we left Gilroy charged at 90% in our 75D and with 226 miles range. We normally would have charged to 80% (204 miles of charge) but it was our first road trip and had a bit of range anxiety not having done it before. We arrived at Atascadero with 74mi and still needed to go beyond to Santa Ynez. It's about 80 miles from Atascadero to Buellton's supercharger so needed the charge. I guess Plugshare is your friend at that point (and the great people here) and so is a lot more patience in charging.

There is much more in the way of civilization south of Atascadero but North 101 from there you have that long stretch of not much...a few J1772s sprinkled along the way but mostly single chargers and really slow. If you had a Chaedemo with you (which we don't have), only fast charging with that adapter I'm seeing on Plugshare wouldn't be until Salinas and there's a few options there if you can't make it to the Superchargers in Seaside or Gilroy.

Never would have thought the whole charging location would be shut down somewhere so reading these last few posts was an awakening.

Last edited:
Down here now. Parking lot looks nice with new blacktop. Getting 86kW at pull-in stall. Outdoor temp 80F, in a P100D this trip.

Disappointed to walk across El Camino to Subway and find out they closed this location in late July. We were just there last month and didn't see any notice of this coming up. Kind of sucks because now your choice for a "quick" (drink/bathroom) stop is down to Dennys, Que Pasa (sit down bar and restaurant) or a Smoothie place next door to that.

Down here now. Parking lot looks nice with new blacktop. Getting 86kW at pull-in stall. Outdoor temp 80F, in a P100D this trip.

Disappointed to walk across El Camino to Subway and find out they closed this location in late July. We were just there last month and didn't see any notice of this coming up. Kind of sucks because now your choice for a "quick" (drink/bathroom) stop is down to Dennys, Que Pasa (sit down bar and restaurant) or a Smoothie place next door to that.
You can go past Dennys about a block and there is a sandwich shop or silvesters. There is also A&W on the other side of the freeway.

Reactions: SMAlset
On way back charged here, 5th car, and had about 50 minute wait so went in search of lunch. Thanks for recommendations. Stopped in Silvesters (bright yellow building so easy to spot), it was already crowded and was hot inside (very casual, not expensive, good variety) and hubby wanted to see what else was close by.

Ended up a few short blocks north of there, same side before the Carlton Hotel, at Street Side Ale House & Eatery. Nice bar/casual but kind of upscale restaurant. Friendly staff, clean bathrooms, served quickly. Enjoyed beef taco salad with really good tortilla chips made there. Hubby had burger with fries. Said tasty as well. Food service from 11am-9pm Sun-Th (bar to 10pm) & on Fri-Sat 11am-10pm (bar to 12am) so hours probably convenient for many people charging. Would definitely eat there again.

Last edited:
On Friday I drove from Southern California to Monterey. I stopped for a short charge at Buellton and got to Atascadero about lunch time to find only one stall open. Soon after more cars arrived. I was getting a very low rate of charge--10Kw. The lady next to me told she is a regular at lunch time. I should have charged more at Buellton where I was the only one there and was getting a high rate of charge. This is only the second time I have driven 101 in our model S so I was not aware Atascadero has become a bottleneck. When I drive home tomorrow I will be avoiding Atascadero.

Salinas will help people avoid Atascadero.

On Friday I drove from Southern California to Monterey. I stopped for a short charge at Buellton and got to Atascadero about lunch time to find only one stall open. Soon after more cars arrived. I was getting a very low rate of charge--10Kw. The lady next to me told she is a regular at lunch time. I should have charged more at Buellton where I was the only one there and was getting a high rate of charge. This is only the second time I have driven 101 in our model S so I was not aware Atascadero has become a bottleneck. When I drive home tomorrow I will be avoiding Atascadero.

Salinas will help people avoid Atascadero.

This probably should have been posted to the Atascadero SC thread. That said we've used Atasadero 4 times this summer. In talking to owners charging there and who regularly stop there, several people told us that some of the stalls were slow. Our first time down there we had to switch stalls. Did you report the slow charging stall to Tesla? Phone number is on the charger. Only one time when we stopped were the stalls near capacity so I'm sure it depends on the time of day. However with more Teslas being sold and on the road... Charging in Buelton was never a problem while we were down there this summer. Did you end up charging in Salinas or at Monterey or Seaside?

Last edited:
Just stopped at Atascadero. Sunday, October 15th. 3pm. I was going to be 14th in line. This charger needs expansion. Decided to skip and head for Salinas. Navigation says I’ll arrive with 6pct left if I keep it under 60mph. It’s a better deal than wait an ‘hour’!?

Just stopped at Atascadero. Sunday, October 15th. 3pm. I was going to be 14th in line. This charger needs expansion. Decided to skip and head for Salinas. Navigation says I’ll arrive with 6pct left if I keep it under 60mph. It’s a better deal than wait an ‘hour’!?

San Luis Obispo is supposed to be online before the end of the year which would take some pressure off of Atascadero!