Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged there last Sunday night, November 22, 2015, ~0924-0935. Went from 173RM to 201RM, mostly so I didn't have to worry about speed, outdoor temperature, indoor temperature or any other condition as we made our way (rapidly) down to Darien. No problems. Used the charger at the end farthest away from the mall.

Was there last Tuesday night when I couldn't get a slow charge due to several L2s being down. Pulled up a map of the mall to see what was there and decided to stay in the car responding to some email. Mall security drove by at one point but the lot was empty.

Follow up article. Note the anti-Tesla driver comments:

Road rager punches out windshield of $100,000 car | masslive.com

I don't see any anti Tesla driver comments.

From the Boston Herald:

"driver who claimed holiday stress got the better of him apologized to cops after he smashed the windshield of a 2015 Tesla with his bare fist during a road rage encounter at the Auburn Mall Saturday, police said.“He gave a statement. He said he was having a bad day. He said, ‘I made a mistake. I know I shouldn’t have done it.’ He wants to pay for it,” Auburn police Detective Sgt. Richard Mills said yesterday."

Last edited:
I don't see any anti Tesla driver comments.

From the Boston Herald:

"driver who claimed holiday stress got the better of him apologized to cops after he smashed the windshield of a 2015 Tesla with his bare fist during a road rage encounter at the Auburn Mall Saturday, police said.“He gave a statement. He said he was having a bad day. He said, ‘I made a mistake. I know I shouldn’t have done it.’ He wants to pay for it,” Auburn police Detective Sgt. Richard Mills said yesterday."

Not in the article itself, the comments to the article.

My wife and I stopped to charge in Auburn on Saturday around 1pm. When starting our walk towards the mall, we acknowledged a family with kids approaching a silver/gray Tesla. Don't know if this was the same vehicle involved. I took note, because the vehicle was parked on a severe angle, taking up the better part of 3 out of 8 SC spots. Figured he was either guarding against door dings or just being careless. To paraphrase my wife, how can you miss with that big screen? Now that I've read this story I have to consider that maybe the owner was also new to the vehicle. Regardless of the circumstances prior to the windshield attack, glad the Tesla owner acted appropriately, apparently staying inside the vehicle before, during, and after the mayhem.

My wife and I stopped to charge in Auburn on Saturday around 1pm. When starting our walk towards the mall, we acknowledged a family with kids approaching a silver/gray Tesla. Don't know if this was the same vehicle involved. I took note, because the vehicle was parked on a severe angle, taking up the better part of 3 out of 8 SC spots. Figured he was either guarding against door dings or just being careless. To paraphrase my wife, how can you miss with that big screen?
Or he just thinks he's one of those special people are above the rules of a polite society... You know, like people who ICE EV spots or park in handicapped spots.

Now that I've read this story I have to consider that maybe the owner was also new to the vehicle.
Your giving him more credit than I would - maybe he's just an entitled jerk who thinks he can park however he wants, take up three charging bays, and then show off to Bubba in the pickup by stomping on it and cutting him off... Except that it turns out that Bubba's an even bigger jerk.

From the Herald article:

"The Tesla driver told 
police he thought the other driver, who was behind the wheel of a Toyota Tacoma, tried to run him off the road.“They had some disagreement,” Mills said. “The suspect followed him to the next set of lights.”
The truck driver, who Mills said stands over 6 feet tall and weighs more than 250 pounds, approached the Tesla on foot, “yelling,” and lashed out when the car “lurched at him.” The Tesla driver blamed his nerves and lack of familiarity with the new car.
It was then, Mills said, the suspect “smashed the window with his hand.”

So, seems he was a new owner.

At least there were no guns involved.

Or he just thinks he's one of those special people are above the rules of a polite society... You know, like people who ICE EV spots or park in handicapped spots.

Your giving him more credit than I would - maybe he's just an entitled jerk who thinks he can park however he wants, take up three charging bays, and then show off to Bubba in the pickup by stomping on it and cutting him off... Except that it turns out that Bubba's an even bigger jerk.
I'm hoping that even a (hypothetical) world-class jerk wouldn't intentionally drive dangerously with his kids in the back seat. All the indicators point to someone who has low Car IQ, i.e. doesn't really understand where the vehicle is or how to control it well. Tesla should organize driving classes, like some other high-end car makers do, to help new drivers understand how to control their cars.

I'm hoping that even a (hypothetical) world-class jerk wouldn't intentionally drive dangerously with his kids in the back seat. All the indicators point to someone who has low Car IQ, i.e. doesn't really understand where the vehicle is or how to control it well. Tesla should organize driving classes, like some other high-end car makers do, to help new drivers understand how to control their cars.
Yes, I suspect the instant torque could catch a new driver by surprise. I know that in my younger, less experienced days (stupider?), I've gotten in trouble driving cars with lots of low-end torque.

And by no means am I defending the idiot truck driver (I hope that was already clear); he took it to a whole new level once he got out of his vehicle. Just trying to point out that culpability is probably somewhat shared here. I'm sure any discussion of this incident on a Tacoma forum would be very different...

Does it worry anyone that the windshield was easily damaged by hand? Is this Tesla specific or would happen with any car?
I'm 6'1" and a bit under 250 (so similar physically to the truck driver). I have no doubt I could at least crack any windshield if I were that worked up. Of course, I know better than to get worked up. :wink:

People who would get along fine face to face get stupid when they isolate themselves from the rest of the world in their little metal cages. It's one of the reasons I don't ride motorcycles any more. :scared:

+1! Who hasn't yet seen a dinged up fender on a Model S? Since picking up our car in Watertown, spring of 2014, I've often thought about the void in Tesla driver training. The hour or so we spent with our DS was great, learning how to establish a bluetooth connection with my phone and other stuff. Except my head kept thinking about when I would soon be driving this wide expensive vehicle down a torn up Pleasant St., in the rain. And just to make it interesting, Watertown had made sure to add a mile or more of exposed manhole covers. Just before pulling out of the service center I did an inside/outside check of familiar front and side vehicle reference points. Formal training classes would be great, but an immediate opportunity does exist for Tesla when familiarizing new owners. Training a DS to review a few basic driver safety tips wouldn't be difficult or time consuming. Even the better than average driver, (studies have shown that 90 percent of those asked say they are better, average of course would be 50!) would probably welcome this training as part of their delivery process. If enough of us ask, maybe Tesla will listen?