Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should be 8 stalls then. This is a good sign!

For the last year or two any new construction in the US has been a minimum of 8 stalls. I know there was some talk that some of the locations along Transcanada might be <8 stalls, but I was hoping they would keep with the 8 stall minimum even north of the border. It may seem like overdoing it now, but also seems like a PITA to go back and expand later. Also the older 4-stall locations in the US can cause problems. For example, Murdo, SD is currently down to one well-functioning stall. I think one of the stalls was underperforming for a while and then the opposite cabinet went out (possibly due to a lightning storm) so both of its stalls went completely offline. These kind of things happen, but they are much less of a problem at 8-stall locations than they are when there are fewer stalls.

Not withstanding the 4 cabinets, it seems like they've dug enough trench for 12-14 stalls.

Given that probably 99% of vehicles heating to/from NS, PEI, and NL will go past this site, it could become quite important. [I'm guesstimating 1% might get to PEI on other routes or take ferries to NS/PEI.] The population is small now, but 'build it, and they will come'.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I dunno if it shows, but the trench leads behind the Big Stop where there’s a transformer cabinet. I think that is just gonna be to run power over to the stalls, which should be set along the side of the parking lot next to the dog park.
That's quite possibly why it's so long. I assumed power would be coming from the new pole which was placed last year on the road side of the new NB Power chargers.

That one probably can’t handle more than the L2 + Chademo there. Either that, or they don’t want to dig up the front of the dog park. :p
That pole has high voltage lines to it with a small transformer for the DCFC + L2.. I'd bet the high voltage lines could handle the Supercharger load, or at the least it would be the logical place to run high voltage to..

Given that probably 99% of vehicles heating to/from NS, PEI, and NL will go past this site, it could become quite important. [I'm guesstimating 1% might get to PEI on other routes or take ferries to NS/PEI.] The population is small now, but 'build it, and they will come'.

However, there will be Moncton, NB which is only 58km from Aulac, NB and is only 178km from Charlottetown, PE, and for Halifax traffic, there'll be Enfield, NS. That should spread the load a bit. But Until Tesla builds something in Eastern NS and PEI, Aulac, NB could see people not just using it, but filling up ahead of the charging deserts.

I’m more curious where they’ll place SCs to connect to the Quebec network. At minimum they need one somewhere around Fredricton, and maybe another around the Edmunston area. Having made the trip a couple times, it’d be good to avoid Trois Rivere since it’s hard to get back to the Transcanada from there.

I’m more curious where they’ll place SCs to connect to the Quebec network. At minimum they need one somewhere around Fredricton, and maybe another around the Edmunston area. Having made the trip a couple times, it’d be good to avoid Trois Rivere since it’s hard to get back to the Transcanada from there.
Have you seen their "coming soon" map? It lists Edmundston, Woodstock, Fredericton, Baring ME, Medway ME, Saint John, Moncton, Aulac, Enfield..

I wonder if Aulac is actually the "Moncton area" supercharger and Tesla just hasn't removed the extra one from their map yet. Moncton says Summer 2018 and Aulac just says 2018.

I think we'll still eventually see something in the Moncton area, perhaps at the Salisbury Big Stop mentioned by Mr. Plugshare above which isn't that far from the Magnetic Hill area. I'm all for Tesla sticking to placing their Superchargers slightly outside urban centres to support long distance travel. Enfield and Aulac fit that criteria nicely.

I wonder if Aulac is actually the "Moncton area" supercharger and Tesla just hasn't removed the extra one from their map yet. Moncton says Summer 2018 and Aulac just says 2018.

I don't.

Fredericton, NB to Aulac, NB is 143 miles.
Big Stop Waasis, NB to Aulac, NB is 135 miles.
Aulac, NB to Sobey's St John West, NB 134 miles.
Big Stop Rothesay, NB to Aulac, NB is 121 miles.

Tesla doesn't use that large a spacing for cold climates.
Salisbury, NB/Moncton,NB seems like an essential spot for all-year coverage.

I think that Aulac, NB is probably happening now because it was bid out as a pair with Enfield, NS and they were both ready to go.

Last edited: