Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What slowdown? Supercharger construction is back to going gangbusters. supercharge.info
Well hardly. There were about 45+ sites under construction earlier in the year and a similar number with permits. That has fallen to 17 under construction in the US and none in Canada, with little movement on the permits. We can only hope that there are lots of locations with construction going on that have not been discovered yet.
It looks like North Dakota and central Canada have been pushed back to next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PLUS EV
I would think you could do it if you keep your speed down. Worst case there's plenty of J1772 chargers around Moncton if you don't have a CHAdeMO adapter. You'll know by the time you get to Moncton if you're going to make it.
I have done that trip with a 75D and I have to say the answer is no unless you are making special efforts, driving at very low speeds... the kind of things people do for competition. There are plenty of J1772 around as mentioned. Considering the new FLO CHAdeMO installations in both NB and NS, an adapter is really required equipment at this point in time for flexibility and fast charging. I used 4 of them this past weekend and while they are definitely not Superchargers they are decently fast.

Well hardly. There were about 45+ sites under construction earlier in the year and a similar number with permits. That has fallen to 17 under construction in the US and none in Canada, with little movement on the permits. We can only hope that there are lots of locations with construction going on that have not been discovered yet.
It looks like North Dakota and central Canada have been pushed back to next year.
I can't agree with you on this. We really don't know what Tesla is doing. Supercharger.info while great is gotten completely from voluntary contribution. Even with that 43 sites in progress is a huge amount of sites. Perhaps more importantly is what is gong on wth Destination Chargers, and don't forget that Destination Chargers are a ver big part of the Tesla strategy, basically putting chargers where people live / work / shop / and stay overnight. There has been HUGE growth of the destination charger population, and that is key to the Tesla strategy.

I can't agree with you on this. We really don't know what Tesla is doing. Supercharger.info while great is gotten completely from voluntary contribution. Even with that 43 sites in progress is a huge amount of sites. Perhaps more importantly is what is gong on wth Destination Chargers, and don't forget that Destination Chargers are a ver big part of the Tesla strategy, basically putting chargers where people live / work / shop / and stay overnight. There has been HUGE growth of the destination charger population, and that is key to the Tesla strategy.
Well I agree and disagree with parts of what you say. The fact of the matter is that actually very few locations have gone completely undetected by supercharge.info/the people on TMC etc. I fantasize that there may be Superchargers under construction in far Western Ontario that nobody knows about yet, but as someone pointed out in a similar discussion on another board, most of the surprise Superchargers have actually been in urban multi-story parking lots where a whole area can be blocked off from viewing.

'43 sites in progress' overstates the current situation as many of the 'permit' sites appear to have been on hold for quite a while. As I stated in my original post, earlier this year there were over a hundred 'in progress' between Construction and Permit status in the US and Canada (I track this quite closely).

As to Destination Chargers, that's a totally different subject. I agree they are important, and Tesla has done a tremendous job in rolling those out, but they don't really help with covering long distances during a day of driving. You need Superchargers for that.

Well I agree and disagree with parts of what you say. The fact of the matter is that actually very few locations have gone completely undetected by supercharge.info/the people on TMC etc. I fantasize that there may be Superchargers under construction in far Western Ontario that nobody knows about yet, but as someone pointed out in a similar discussion on another board, most of the surprise Superchargers have actually been in urban multi-story parking lots where a whole area can be blocked off from viewing.

'43 sites in progress' overstates the current situation as many of the 'permit' sites appear to have been on hold for quite a while. As I stated in my original post, earlier this year there were over a hundred 'in progress' between Construction and Permit status in the US and Canada (I track this quite closely).

As to Destination Chargers, that's a totally different subject. I agree they are important, and Tesla has done a tremendous job in rolling those out, but they don't really help with covering long distances during a day of driving. You need Superchargers for that.
Definitely agree with JSergeant on this one. It's kind of disingenuous to say that there must be a lot of superchargers under construction that we don't know about merely since that could be the case. Crowd-sourced supercharge.info has been very reliable over the past couple years and has rarely been caught completely off guard, so I would say it is highly unlikely that there are many superchargers that are about to open. What's particularly disconcerting is that this is typically the time of year when there is a spike in supercharger construction. It seems obvious that this is likely Tesla holding back on supercharger construction in an effort to become profitable in Q3 to appease some Wall Street types. As stupid as that may seem to a Tesla owner, it appears to be something they really, really want to do.

Definitely agree with JSergeant on this one. It's kind of disingenuous to say that there must be a lot of superchargers under construction that we don't know about merely since that could be the case. Crowd-sourced supercharge.info has been very reliable over the past couple years and has rarely been caught completely off guard, so I would say it is highly unlikely that there are many superchargers that are about to open. What's particularly disconcerting is that this is typically the time of year when there is a spike in supercharger construction. It seems obvious that this is likely Tesla holding back on supercharger construction in an effort to become profitable in Q3 to appease some Wall Street types. As stupid as that may seem to a Tesla owner, it appears to be something they really, really want to do.
Maybe that’s why Elon wants to go private, so they can implement long term vision instead of quarter to quarter tail chasing. Let’s hope the supercharger slowdown is because they are waiting V3 unveiling. Might be worth the wait for improved charging speed. Do they build superchargers during winter months?

Reactions: Vawlkus
Maybe that’s why Elon wants to go private, so they can implement long term vision instead of quarter to quarter tail chasing. Let’s hope the supercharger slowdown is because they are waiting V3 unveiling. Might be worth the wait for improved charging speed. Do they build superchargers during winter months?

Yes, they build during winter, but now very rarely in the open in cold places. They can install in parking garages in cold locations, but that's about it.

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a supercharger and would Irving share in the cost of building the chargers at Aulac,NB. Would Irving’s Big Stop property taxes go up because of assessment value increasing beach use of adding Tesla superchargers?

Now officially open as per Tesla’s website!
E96175B7-C9AC-46E9-A327-BE7DB1A13650.jpeg

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a supercharger and would Irving share in the cost of building the chargers at Aulac,NB. Would Irving’s Big Stop property taxes go up because of assessment value increasing beach use of adding Tesla superchargers?
I've seen estimates in the range of $150k to $300k US, depending on number of stalls and a host of other factors

Tesla

I've never heard of host businesses sharing the cost. It's generally assumed that Tesla pays to lease the land. Sometimes the host business pays for some or all of the electricity - that's indicated by signage at the Superchargers if applicable. I've talked to one Supercharger host who said they had to pay Tesla a small fee for each vehicle which visited the Supercharger (in return for the business that brought to the host.) Tesla doesn't share any of this information.

I have no idea whether Superchargers would affect the property taxes.

Reactions: Jerk
So what would the dream NS rollout be?

Enfield
Port Hawk
Yarmouth
To get mostly to 300 km

Then
Truro
Bridgewater
Sydney
Wolfville
Sherbrooke

Where else?

That seems pretty extravagant for anything even remotely near-term.
If I were designing the network, I think given where Aulac is, I'd skip Enfield, since it only serves one route. Instead, I'd start with

Bedford/Sackville (serves 101, 102, 103, 213)
Digby (serves Yarmouth and either ferry route to/from US)
New Glasgow (serves Trans Can, and from there you can get to Sydney on one charge)

The biggest difference being that I'd put them not AT the extreme ends (Yarmouth & Sydney) but at places along the way that permit travel TO the extreme ends (Digby & New Glasgow), but also link to other 'major' routes (Digby ferry, PEI ferry).

Then as needed
Truro
Bridgewater
Port Hawk
Yarmouth
Airport (which is basically at Enfield, but would serve people driving to the airport from any direction, not just down the 102)

I've always found the data on this site interesting. Granted these are funds to help support the deployment of EV charging infrastructure and not necessarily the total costs associated with setting up a charging station but if you look at the numbers it is pretty consistent at $50K per DCFC station. I don't think Aulac would have cost Testa $400K because there are economies of scale but $50K per DCFC plug us a nice round number.

Also check out the ridiculous funding for Natural Gas and Hydrogen Fuel Cell charging stations. 1-million bucks a pop. #INSANE

Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative - Successful Applicants | Natural Resources Canada

Reactions: MarcoRP and Jerk
It's generally assumed that Tesla pays to lease the land.
I spoke to a mall owner a few years ago who said they declined to have a supercharger in their parking lot because Tesla wasn't willing to pay rent. They saw it like a gas station - just a business taking up space in the lot, rather than a source of customers with time on their hands. So the supercharger went elsewhere.

I spoke to a mall owner a few years ago who said they declined to have a supercharger in their parking lot because Tesla wasn't willing to pay rent. They saw it like a gas station - just a business taking up space in the lot, rather than a source of customers with time on their hands. So the supercharger went elsewhere.
The other benefit to the mall owner is "greenwashing". I don't know what mall owner you spoke to but it appears that Tesla has reached agreements with a few mall owners for multiple locations - like Cadillac Fairview (Rideau, Toronto Eaton, Sherway, Lime Ridge, Markville), and SmartCentres (Belleville, Cambridge, Markham). It is much easier to negotiate with the larger owners to negotiate one deal for a dozen or more locations, rather than having to do separate deals for each site.

And I am one of the people contributing to the crowdsourcing effort... nevertheless I am aware that there can be a great deal of work in advance of any clue appearing to share via crowdsource. All of the work finding appropriate sites, approaching the owners, and negotiating a lease, finding and negotiation with contractors - these and many more activities are opaque to our crowdsourcing efforts, and I am certain that this involves a large team effort at Tesla - these sites don't just "pop up" . My point is that we only have a very small window into SC activities at Tesla and only at late stages. It may be that there are 100 more sites currently in earlier stages and we would not know - so you can't take the statistics that we do know as anything more then a very small and partial window into Tesla strategy.

As someone who has driven from Miami to Atlantic Canada 7 times starting 4 years ago, I can say that long distances DO become longer without SC and CHAdeMO, however it can and does get done. I personally have done it. Agreed that not everyone has the time and patience and willingness to plan to make it happen with Level 2 chargers.

Finally one should not look at SC infrastructure in a vacuum. The changing availability of CHAdeMO infrastructure, particularly in areas of low Tesla ownership, cannot be ignored. The installation of CHAdeMO networks in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia this year has been important and provided good access for Tesla and other EV access. In areas of low Tesla ownership, the availability of CHAdeMO is important to Tesla as well in that putting expensive SC infrastructure in more remote places becomes less urgent allowing for capital to be used elsewhere.