Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Aulac, NB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely agree with JSergeant on this one. It's kind of disingenuous to say that there must be a lot of superchargers under construction that we don't know about merely since that could be the case. Crowd-sourced supercharge.info has been very reliable over the past couple years and has rarely been caught completely off guard, so I would say it is highly unlikely that there are many superchargers that are about to open. What's particularly disconcerting is that this is typically the time of year when there is a spike in supercharger construction. It seems obvious that this is likely Tesla holding back on supercharger construction in an effort to become profitable in Q3 to appease some Wall Street types. As stupid as that may seem to a Tesla owner, it appears to be something they really, really want to do.
Definitely agree with JSergeant on this one. It's kind of disingenuous to say that there must be a lot of superchargers under construction that we don't know about merely since that could be the case. Crowd-sourced supercharge.info has been very reliable over the past couple years and has rarely been caught completely off guard, so I would say it is highly unlikely that there are many superchargers that are about to open. What's particularly disconcerting is that this is typically the time of year when there is a spike in supercharger construction. It seems obvious that this is likely Tesla holding back on supercharger construction in an effort to become profitable in Q3 to appease some Wall Street types. As stupid as that may seem to a Tesla owner, it appears to be something they really, really want to do.

It seems obvious that this is likely Tesla holding back on supercharger construction in an effort to become profitable in Q3 to appease some Wall Street types.

Not obvious at all and pure speculation. I have not seen any comments on this idea from Tesla or even any Analysts. I believe the fact is that SC construction is likely rounding error in the Tesla financial picture. I have not even seen the numbers broken out in the financials. As mentioned before, SC installation is a LONG term project with locations taking months (and I am sure in some situations years) before build out. I don't think that going private has anything whatsoever to do with the SC buildout and I have not seen anyone in a position to know say anything of the sort. Elon and plenty of press has mentioned the issues. SC is not one of them. I can't believe the short term Q3 numbers have ANY role in SC construction.

It seems obvious that this is likely Tesla holding back on supercharger construction in an effort to become profitable in Q3 to appease some Wall Street types.

Not obvious at all and pure speculation. I have not seen any comments on this idea from Tesla or even any Analysts. I believe the fact is that SC construction is likely rounding error in the Tesla financial picture. I have not even seen the numbers broken out in the financials. As mentioned before, SC installation is a LONG term project with locations taking months (and I am sure in some situations years) before build out. I don't think that going private has anything whatsoever to do with the SC buildout and I have not seen anyone in a position to know say anything of the sort. Elon and plenty of press has mentioned the issues. SC is not one of them. I can't believe the short term Q3 numbers have ANY role in SC construction.
Definitely agree with JSergeant and PLUS EV on this one.

While looking at the Aulac supercharger layout I was wondering why there isn’t any cement post in front of chargers?
When winter snow starts accumulating I can invision snow removal trucks hitting and damaging a white on white charger. Those snow removal contractors are usually doing the job as fast as they can. We usually have a lot of snow and wind in the maritimes.

While looking at the Aulac supercharger layout I was wondering why there isn’t any cement post in front of chargers?
When winter snow starts accumulating I can invision snow removal trucks hitting and damaging a white on white charger. Those snow removal contractors are usually doing the job as fast as they can. We usually have a lot of snow and wind in the maritimes.
Doesn't seem to be an issue. I've not ever seen a stall damaged by snow removal. From a safety standpoint, there's no active high voltage at the stall level when it's not in use. Contrast this to a public level 2 station cabinet which is energized with high voltages at all times, while in use or not.

Supercharger cabinets and other equipment are usually protected with bollards and such.

Doesn't seem to be an issue. I've not ever seen a stall damaged by snow removal. From a safety standpoint, there's no active high voltage at the stall level when it's not in use. Contrast this to a public level 2 station cabinet which is energized with high voltages at all times, while in use or not.

Supercharger cabinets and other equipment are usually protected with bollards and such.
Laval, on its’ first days of service, stall 8B was broken by the snow removal.
See, no protection.

Usually the cabinets, yes are protected, but not as much on the stalls.

Attachments

• 5BA82292-44AF-4005-98F5-95D287122669.jpeg
    5BA82292-44AF-4005-98F5-95D287122669.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 81
From this angle, it looks like those red base signs are sturdy enough to act as bollards for the SCs.
The plough could easily remove snow parallel to stalls
I guess that’s one of the benefits of Tesla superchargers, you’ve got 8 to 40 stalls.
Most other DC fast charger networks only have one charger at a location, so any electrical or mechanical breakdown your out of luck.

Aulac to New Glasgow is a pretty good distance at 173km although that appears to be a bit longer than the gap between SCs that Tesla is building in places like Montana and the Dakotas.

Yeah, both New Glasgow and Bedford would be about 175km from Aulac, which while not ideal as a final network, seems to me to be a good way to get things started. Similarly, Bedford to Digby would be about 200km. More than ideal, but a good way to start. (A few exits east of Digby would be better in terms of spacing, but Digby has the ferry connection to NB).
Especially given the ChaDeMo network in between, it would enable most Teslas to get to most destinations around NS most of the time, for relatively little investment.

That seems pretty extravagant for anything even remotely near-term.
If I were designing the network, I think given where Aulac is, I'd skip Enfield, since it only serves one route. Instead, I'd start with

Bedford/Sackville (serves 101, 102, 103, 213)
Digby (serves Yarmouth and either ferry route to/from US)
New Glasgow (serves Trans Can, and from there you can get to Sydney on one charge)

The biggest difference being that I'd put them not AT the extreme ends (Yarmouth & Sydney) but at places along the way that permit travel TO the extreme ends (Digby & New Glasgow), but also link to other 'major' routes (Digby ferry, PEI ferry).

Then as needed
Truro
Bridgewater
Port Hawk
Yarmouth
Airport (which is basically at Enfield, but would serve people driving to the airport from any direction, not just down the 102)

Just some information that you might find helpful.

Truro
CHAdeMO located at Turo Hampton Inn. This particular charger has had major issues but now seems to be running OK but at lower amperage

Bridgewater
New CHAdeMO now located in Best Western parking lot just off of exit 12 heading towards Yarmouth.

Port Hawk
New CHAdeMO located in Monastery. Works well, I have personally used it.

Yarmouth
New CHAdeMO located in Yarmouth. Also several destination chargers.

Airport
Several options. Level 2 located in parking complex as well as one for exclusive use of ALT guests. New CHAdeMO located in Elmsdale right off highway a few Km's away. Also rumor has it that next SC in Atlantic Canada will be here at Irving although no broken ground has been seen yet. Same company that did Aulac has contract for Enfield.

So your locations are viable ones to consider, and at least right now there are Level 3 options at all of these locations. CHAdeMO adapters really handy now in Atlantic Canada - and remember Plugshare can be your best friend for trip and charge planning.

Reactions: JSergeant
All this talk of CHAdeMO's is fine but I'll bet that soon the Model 3 will be the largest vehicle in Tesla's fleet in Atlantic Canada, and as yet the CHAdeMO adapter still doesn't work with it.

Even when it does work with the 3, I doubt many people will be rushing to buy a $600 adapter that they might use once or twice a year, I know I won't.

Reactions: bpjod
All this talk of CHAdeMO's is fine but I'll bet that soon the Model 3 will be the largest vehicle in Tesla's fleet in Atlantic Canada, and as yet the CHAdeMO adapter still doesn't work with it.

Even when it does work with the 3, I doubt many people will be rushing to buy a $600 adapter that they might use once or twice a year, I know I won't.
I was thinking the other day it would almost make sense rather than to put the onus on us the drivers, that for another few thousand dollars just permanently tether a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to the CHAdeMO stations (and update it for Model 3 for good measure).

There's what twelve stations in Nova Scotia, that's $7200 which in the big scheme of things isn't much and would help Tesla drivers out a ton

I was thinking the other day it would almost make sense rather than to put the onus on us the drivers, that for another few thousand dollars just permanently tether a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to the CHAdeMO stations (and update it for Model 3 for good measure).

There's what twelve stations in Nova Scotia, that's $7200 which in the big scheme of things isn't much and would help Tesla drivers out a ton

Nova Scotia Power is hosting their second "Electric Avenue" event in Halifax near their offices onLower Water St on September 8th from 11am-3pm. It might be a good idea to come and tell them what you think - there will certainly be NS Power people there, and specifically the ones involved with the new chargers.

There are several posts on this forum on the CHAdeMO / Model 3 subject. The consensus I get is that there WILL be support for the adapter on Model 3, and that it will be an OTA software update. However this is from the forum and not from Tesla. There is mention, however, that the adapter IS mentioned in the Model 3 manual. IF this is the case then you are probably pretty safe buying one. I got mine 4 years ago and I have used it several times. It is a bit like wrestling with a small alligator... between the huge CHAdeMO cable and plug... but it does work and has come in handy many times to allow for Level 3 charging. Yes slower then a SC but MUCH faster then Level 2 J1772.

Nova Scotia Power is hosting their second "Electric Avenue" event in Halifax near their offices onLower Water St on September 8th from 11am-3pm. It might be a good idea to come and tell them what you think - there will certainly be NS Power people there, and specifically the ones involved with the new chargers.

There are several posts on this forum on the CHAdeMO / Model 3 subject. The consensus I get is that there WILL be support for the adapter on Model 3, and that it will be an OTA software update. However this is from the forum and not from Tesla. There is mention, however, that the adapter IS mentioned in the Model 3 manual. IF this is the case then you are probably pretty safe buying one. I got mine 4 years ago and I have used it several times. It is a bit like wrestling with a small alligator... between the huge CHAdeMO cable and plug... but it does work and has come in handy many times to allow for Level 3 charging. Yes slower then a SC but MUCH faster then Level 2 J1772.
I've heard some people post confirmation from Tesla in the form of emails and stuff here which is good. I'll definitely buy one when they're available, I had a pretty rough time this weekend in Fredericton charging coming back from Quebec on my way to Halifax. Charged to 100% at Riviere du Loup, made it to Fredericton with around 15%, needed about 30% to make it to Aulac Supercharger, so just had to sit in Fredericton for like four hours on a Sunday (not much to do) while it charged at 30 amps. Would have killed for CHAdeMO, ended up at Aulac with literally 1%.

I've heard some people post confirmation from Tesla in the form of emails and stuff here which is good. I'll definitely buy one when they're available, I had a pretty rough time this weekend in Fredericton charging coming back from Quebec on my way to Halifax. Charged to 100% at Riviere du Loup, made it to Fredericton with around 15%, needed about 30% to make it to Aulac Supercharger, so just had to sit in Fredericton for like four hours on a Sunday (not much to do) while it charged at 30 amps. Would have killed for CHAdeMO, ended up at Aulac with literally 1%.
Until the Freddy SC comes online, with a little notice you can charge at my house (60 km/hr). I'll just ask for reciprocity until Halifax gets a SC.

A Model 3 test vehicle has been reported using the adapter to charge at Chademo chargers in the Atlantic provinces. It’s not a question of if, merely a question of when.

Since the Chademo chargers aren’t meant to be exclusively used by Tesla, I doubt NS Power or Flo would be interested in shelling out for a Tesla adapter for each station. I’d also be concerned about theft since there’s no practical way to secure those adapters at each site.
I can see two practical approaches though.
1) User/owner loaning. I already loan my Chademo adapter out to Tesla owners who need it for occasional trips, and I know there’s an Ontario Tesla club that has a lending program in place to do the same.
2) alternatively, the tourism board has a visitor information center at the NS/NB boarder. I’ll wager a program for renting/loaning out Tesla adapters could be put in place so that people visiting the province could borrow an adapter for the duration of their stay, and return it when leaving the province. I don’t know whether the office could purchase the adapters directly, or if they would require them to be donated, but either way it would be simple to do.