Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX - South Congress Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

New permit on ABC for a Supercharger coming soon to South Congress Hotel (1603 S Congress Ave). The permit was filed by a GPD agent, whose name is also listed on permits for the Supercharger in Georgetown and another one in Virginia. Early stages so far but I think it's good enough for a blue dot.

FD8AD8D3-1686-4076-B561-85FF679BA326.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Austin - Travis Heights, TX

Along Primary Interstates: I-35
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-290
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: TX-71

I-35

To: Austin, TX - 7.3 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Georgetown, TX - 29.1 miles

US-290

To: Austin, TX - 7.3 miles
Diversion: -0.6 miles
To: Giddings, TX - 58.6 miles

To: Nacogdoches, TX (I-35, TX-71, TX-21/US-190/TX-21, TX-7, US-59) - 236.4 miles
To: College Station, TX (I-35, TX-71, TX-21, TX-47, TX-FM60) - 109.2 miles
To: Columbus, TX (I-35, TX-71, I-10) - 91.1 miles
To: Flatonia, TX (I-35, TX-71, TX-95, l) - 69.9 miles
To: Victoria, TX (I-35, TX-45, TX-130, US-183, US-87, TX-185) - 128.1 miles
To: Junction, TX (US-290, I-10) - 139.5 miles
To: Midland, TX (US-290, TX-71, US-87, TX-158, I-20) - 320.1 miles
To: Sweetwater, TX (l, US-183, US-84, TX-153, TX-70) - 251.7 miles
To: Cisco, TX (l, US-183, I-20) - 187.2 miles

Another charger close to I-35 reminding me that Dilley, TX is still needed to the south.

I am just surprised that of the 15 Austin SC sites listed as "permitted", one actually started construction
Perhaps there is more effort and attention to being aimed at nuance liberal issues & anti-conservative by the Greater Austin area city services like permits, inspections and so on than there should be. Maybe area City Governments can be more efficient, however, they are locked in jobs regardless of productivity. This shouldn't be as hard as government believes it should. Why do other areas of the USA (on balance) seem so much quicker. Elon didn't build the TX Giga in the City limits of Austin for a reason. Some might say they dislike Elon because he is not a Union shop. He wasn't invited to the white house for the EV rally for that very reason despite of being the largest EV seller in the US.

Reactions: Jmolloy3
Perhaps there is more effort and attention to being aimed at nuance liberal issues & anti-conservative by the Greater Austin area city services like permits, inspections and so on than there should be. Maybe area City Governments can be more efficient, however, they are locked in jobs regardless of productivity. This shouldn't be as hard as government believes it should. Why do other areas of the USA (on balance) seem so much quicker. Elon didn't build the TX Giga in the City limits of Austin for a reason. Some might say they dislike Elon because he is not a Union shop. He wasn't invited to the white house for the EV rally for that very reason despite of being the largest EV seller in the US.
I agree. Doing ANYTHING that involves the COA guarantees that it will cost 2x more and take 2x as long. It's been bad for a long time and It's getting worse.

Why? I've been to a ton of superchargers at hotels and it's never been a problem.

Really? Never? Never a line of cars waiting to use the SCs? Don't you think it would be more convenient to be able to just park, plugin and go to your room without needing to move your car again when it was done charging to avoid idle fees? A SC bay is what... ~$50k? Don't you think it would be worth ~$20k to have 10 spaces with HPWCs? I've never understood why Tesla drops half a million on a supercharger site at a hotel without spending a few thousand more on at least a couple HPWC...

Why? I've been to a ton of superchargers at hotels and it's never been a problem.
Oh not for that reason. There will be superchargers all over Austin.

If you're staying at the hotel it would be more convenient to plug into a wall connector and leave it than need to move your car later. Also, slow charge overnight is less damaging to the battery. No need to speedy charge if the car is parked for 8+ hours.

Reactions: byeLT4 and kavyboy