Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX - FM 969

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Passed final inspection last week, if any locals wants to check it out.

Permit/CaseReference File NameDescriptionSub Type / Work TypeProject NameStatus
2021-163487 EPInstallation of new 1600a 277/480 service to feed new Tesla EV charging site.Commercial / Repair
12222 1/2 FM 969 RD​
Final

Process DescriptionStatusStart DateScheduled End DateEnd Date# of Attempts
305 Final ElectricPassJan 5, 2022Jan 11, 2022Jan 12, 2022
2​

IT’s ALIVE!!!!!

Attachments

• 92FBCBCC-4F02-4E38-A876-1209EE57DA9E.jpeg
    92FBCBCC-4F02-4E38-A876-1209EE57DA9E.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 101
I've only been to the chargers that require you to reverse in. Never seen it where you can pull forward like this. Any idea why these are different?
I'm thinking that part of the reason is that pull in stalls make more sense in general (I'm sure plenty of people are of the opposite opinion, but I suspect that's mostly because of trying to defend what has become the de facto standard for most Superchargers). But when installing a new Supercharger site, if you want to minimize rip-up of pavement and simplify the installation, you install the pedestals at the edge or just past the existing pavement. Surely when Tesla was first starting the Supercharger rollout they were not in a position to dictate or negotiate extensive pavement rip-ups, so the standard became back-in stalls.

But in parking lots where you simply can't avoid ripping up the pavement, or new construction, they have more options and they can install the more natural pull-in style pedestals.

Here is an example of a site where the parking lot layout dictated a center of the pavement location, which meant that the pavement was going to be ripped up anyway, so you might as well make pull in style. Plus diagonal parking like this definitely does not allow for back-in style stalls:

839828.jpg

This particular site (St. George, SC) is at a grocery store, where pull-in stalls make even more sense (so you can more easily load groceries into your trunk).

That said, I've been to this particular site and the ergonomics of this layout is actually horrible. It's very awkward to plug the cord into your car.

Personally I hope that long term we evolve into a more "island" type of layout, similar to gas pumps. This will be even more important if/when Superchargers are opened to other car makes with charge ports located in different parts of the car, as well as supporting large vehicles like Cybertrucks and those with trailers/hitches.

I'm thinking that part of the reason is that pull in stalls make more sense in general (I'm sure plenty of people are of the opposite opinion, but I suspect that's mostly because of trying to defend what has become the de facto standard for most Superchargers). But when installing a new Supercharger site, if you want to minimize rip-up of pavement and simplify the installation, you install the pedestals at the edge or just past the existing pavement. Surely when Tesla was first starting the Supercharger rollout they were not in a position to dictate or negotiate extensive pavement rip-ups, so the standard became back-in stalls.

But in parking lots where you simply can't avoid ripping up the pavement, or new construction, they have more options and they can install the more natural pull-in style pedestals.

Here is an example of a site where the parking lot layout dictated a center of the pavement location, which meant that the pavement was going to be ripped up anyway, so you might as well make pull in style. Plus diagonal parking like this definitely does not allow for back-in style stalls:

839828.jpg

This particular site (St. George, SC) is at a grocery store, where pull-in stalls make even more sense (so you can more easily load groceries into your trunk).

That said, I've been to this particular site and the ergonomics of this layout is actually horrible. It's very awkward to plug the cord into your car.

Personally I hope that long term we evolve into a more "island" type of layout, similar to gas pumps. This will be even more important if/when Superchargers are opened to other car makes with charge ports located in different parts of the car, as well as supporting large vehicles like Cybertrucks and those with trailers/hitches.
Good points. I also think that perhaps this style of stall is less likely to be iced. It LOOKS like a gas pump stall, as opposed to a parking space with a funny looking thing in the back.

Reactions: CarlS and RTPEV

839828.jpg

take a look at the pictures of the Round Rock setup, the stalls are back to back, presumably to make installation easier.

Went for a quick charge here today. Very busy - not a bad location overall (RIGHT on 130, easy right turn going South) - but, there really isnt anything besides this convenience store around for miles? I went by to see state of the Gigafactory (it's 1 exit down), but nothing else really there to occupy you while you charge. Just a heads up. I will say that on the way from there to the factory I took the backroad and saw a whole line of black model Y's with no license plates pulled over at the corner of FM973 and Tesla (Harold Green) - looked like a testing fleet maybe?