Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX - South Congress Avenue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? Never? Never a line of cars waiting to use the SCs? Don't you think it would be more convenient to be able to just park, plugin and go to your room without needing to move your car again when it was done charging to avoid idle fees? A SC bay is what... ~$50k? Don't you think it would be worth ~$20k to have 10 spaces with HPWCs? I've never understood why Tesla drops half a million on a supercharger site at a hotel without spending a few thousand more on at least a couple HPWC...

Oh not for that reason. There will be superchargers all over Austin.

If you're staying at the hotel it would be more convenient to plug into a wall connector and leave it than need to move your car later. Also, slow charge overnight is less damaging to the battery. No need to speedy charge if the car is parked for 8+ hours.
Yes, I have never waited for a SC spot located at a hotel. In fact in 200,000 miles of travel, well over 1000 supercharging sessions at over 700 unique locations in 42 different states I have only ever waited for a spot 10 times and never for more than 5 minutes and never encountered a "line of cars". I have also stayed at many of the hotels where superchargers are located and at ones with destination chargers. In some cases it might be more convenient to have destination chargers as well as superchargers but in my experience destination chargers are much more likely to be ICED and/or already have cars parked in them all night upon arrival. It's really no big deal to plug in, go to room, get setup, come back and move car. Also, it's up to the hosting location to whether or not they allocate more spaces to EV charging, not Tesla.

A couple of fewer supercharger sessions in the context of many road tripping charging sessions is not going to make a whit of difference.

Last edited:
Site plans for 1603 S Congress

Austin.jpg

Attachments

• 1603 S Congress.PDF
    5 MB · Views: 142
I agree. Doing ANYTHING that involves the COA guarantees that it will cost 2x more and take 2x as long. It's been bad for a long time and It's getting worse.
Trying to get solar and powerwalls installed at my home. Austin Energy controls the installation date since they require an Austin Energy employee to turn the power off and back on again. Literally scheduled me 6 months out as the first available appointment.

apparently it's not 24/7 and you have to pay minimum 8 dollars for parking, can anyone confirm it?
Cannot physically confirm, but on Plugshare it says the Mañana Coffee Shop will validate parking for 30 minutes. Verified on their website contact page.

CONTACT
always open mañana:
7am-7pm, 7 days a week

validated self parking is available for 30 minutes, dependent on capacity.
located at south congress hotel
1603 s congress ave, austin
512-872-3144
[email protected]

@corywright

On plugshare a lot of check-in comments state garage is closed at night or early morning. On the hotel's contact page it also has a blurb on limited availability. Should it be marked as such on supercharge.info?

TESLA SUPERCHARGER + ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING
Electric car charging stations are accessible to guests of the hotel + the public. There is a $4 charge per 30 minutes, for up to two hours. If the garage is closed, see Valet or Front Desk for additional help.

On plugshare a lot of check-in comments state garage is closed at night or early morning. On the hotel's contact page it also has a blurb on limited availability. Should it be marked as such on supercharge.info?
That's a good question. The garage does seem to be unavailable at times, and the hotel isn't very specific about when. I've changed the hours for it on supercharge.info to be "Limited Availability" since that is the language used on the hotel website, but I'm open to suggestions for something better.

• Helpful
Reactions: Guacahummus
I almost feel bad about adding it to google maps now.
"If the garage is closed, see Valet or Front Desk for additional help."
Anyway, seems to be 24/7 with extra work. Hopefully Tesla doesn't put any more in garages like these. Not a good look for them.

Wow, those views are Horrendous! Thinking of taking a trip up that way this weekend. I can't believe this is the norm for charging at this location. Love to determine if the hotel is stepping over their bounds on this. Need the fine print between tesla and the land owner.

Went there this weekend. The parking spots are super cramped with both narrow spaces and big cement columns to deal with. Add on the $8 minimum charge and it’s not an ideal situation all around. I was able to go to Home Slice while charging so there’s that at least.