Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would have been frustrating, the main thing one hopes for on long distance travel is easy Supercharging availability. Going from 8 to 26 stalls in Austin will help, but I fear the SC team will be in catch-up mode for a long time.
The new one should help a lot. My understanding of Austin is that the original location isn't that good for locals. The large mall across the street has the smell of retail death on it, which usually means low customer base [due to demographic, traffic, and accessibility shifts over the years].

With a much larger number of chargers in the North it'll help build the habit. More chargers is more fluidity, and the lower cap doesn't really matter to the FLSC crowd since they're spending most of the time capped by the vehicle anyway. Also that location doesn't look like it'll have the access kookiness of Austin SC (1A in particular is a parking challenge when it's busy).

Really, push comes to shove if people keep clogging Austin SC instead anyway, if I'm going through to Junction then stopping for a bump at Stonelake isn't out of the question either. The 72kW cap would cost me maybe an extra $1 or something. Is there anything with extended hours in the area that's as close as the Denny's at Austin SC?

I guess we'll see, fall back is I plan future trips around San Marcos to start with. It's a nice, twisty route from there over to Sister Dale, location of one of our favourite wineries. So it isn't the worst thing, just not the route I'd normally take all the time.

Last edited:
True that, but until there are cabinets on site that’s just dreams of the future.
It's in permit status, so let's hope it goes faster than Fort Stockton did. Not holding my breath, though.
Last time through, stayed overnight and charged at the Faust Hotel in Comfort, TX, which is really very nice, then San Marcos SC, then home. It was far from the shortest or cheapest route, but it kept me out of Austin. I would do that again. (No offense, Austin, but your traffic is bad and your superchargers are crowded.)

Reactions: SammichLover
It's in permit status, so let's hope it goes faster than Fort Stockton did. Not holding my breath, though.
Last time through, stayed overnight and charged at the Faust Hotel in Comfort, TX, which is really very nice, then San Marcos SC, then home. It was far from the shortest or cheapest route, but it kept me out of Austin. I would do that again. (No offense, Austin, but your traffic is bad and your superchargers are crowded.)
I was going to try this a couple weekends ago heading back, based on your experience, but when I checked ahead after pulling into Junction they were booked up. :(

So instead, because it'd been a long day and I was definitely ready for a rest, I Tesla-camped at the Comfort rest stop. Killer view off that in the dawn light!

Pix from yesterday (Sunday) afternoon...
20190519_143206.jpg 20190519_143418.jpg
They don't seem to be making much progress, but at least they're here.
I counted 9 cabinets. So, 18 chargers...

The Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai broke ground January 6 in a giant muddy field. It is 10 million square feet. The Pentagon is 1.5 million square feet.

The Supercharger at Gateway must be no larger than 20,000 square feet (guessing). The Gigafactory 3 has a full building shell, roof and all, and working is going on in the interior now. I drove by the Gateway 18 bay Supercharger today. Looks like slow progress. We should consider having the Chinese construction company build our superchargers!

• Funny
Reactions: CarlS