Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

geoffreak

Driving My Model 3
Dec 1, 2015
Dallas, TX
So from the map of 2017 supercharger stations, there appears to be one that will be located in Austin. Anyone have ideas as to where this might end up being located?

It appears to me that there might be a number of possible places:
  • The Domain - Located right off of MoPac and at a major shopping center and Tesla gallery, this would be good for visibility and location, with the caveat being ICE-ing risk.
  • Pond Springs service center - Still pretty close to anything that The Domain is, but with a lower ICE-ing risk.
  • Downtown/35 - Closer to 35, which is better for travelers, but downtown traffic sucks so much. I seriously hope they don't do this.
I'm not an Austin local myself, I just visit family many times a year. Any locals (or fellow travelers) have any thoughts?

I don't think it will be any of those.
1. The Domain is too congested and it would be a California situation of being used mostly by locals who can charge at home.
2. The service center was just built this year. If Tesla was going to put superchargers there they probably would have done it during construction rather than tearing up the parking area so soon.
3. There's just no way they would put superchargers in the traffic mess downtown. Besides access problems they wouldn't serve any purpose. On I-35 it's only 135 miles from Waco to San Marcos, with no elevation change and it's rarely cold here, so no need for thru travelers to stop to charge in Austin.

It looks like the icon is just northwest of Austin. I could be on farther north on 183 than the service center, such as Cedar Park or Leander.

I don't think it will be any of those.
1. The Domain is too congested and it would be a California situation of being used mostly by locals who can charge at home.
2. The service center was just built this year. If Tesla was going to put superchargers there they probably would have done it during construction rather than tearing up the parking area so soon.
3. There's just no way they would put superchargers in the traffic mess downtown. Besides access problems they wouldn't serve any purpose. On I-35 it's only 135 miles from Waco to San Marcos, with no elevation change and it's rarely cold here, so no need for thru travelers to stop to charge in Austin.

It looks like the icon is just northwest of Austin. I could be on farther north on 183 than the service center, such as Cedar Park or Leander.

I agree, it looks North of Austin to me. I'm guessing Round Rock or Georgetown.

There is a projected location in Brenman to facilitate travel from Houston on 290, so maybe somewhere near 290 and 35?

Gone are the days of avoiding placing Superchargers in urban areas -- they will likely be near areas with apartments/condos where people can't install home chargers, since they will now be able to charge for them. Is there such an area?

THE 1 and THE 290? Move here from California much? ;)
the problem with there is that mopac spends most of its time as a parking lot so Sunset Valley area would be most useful for residents, not travelers.
Remember the point of superchargers - long distance travel.
I just realized that if you take that as a fact - then the most logical location is on 130/45 north at the Stone Hill area
Most of the time 130 is way faster than hacking through the middle of Austin on 35.

Reactions: DriverOne
the problem with there is that mopac spends most of its time as a parking lot so Sunset Valley area would be most useful for residents, not travelers.
Remember the point of superchargers - long distance travel.
I just realized that if you take that as a fact - then the most logical location is on 130/45 north at the Stone Hill area
Most of the time 130 is way faster than hacking through the middle of Austin on 35.

The statement about Supercharging only being for long-distance travel is outdated. Since Tesla is changing to a Charge for Charge model, they are locating them in urban areas for use by locals.

That is true.
That doesn't currently seem to be backed up by the majority of locations.
More specifically, the Tesla website states "Superchargers are free connectors that charge Model S and Model X in minutes instead of hours. Stations are strategically placed to minimize stops during long distance travel and are conveniently located near restaurants, shopping centers, and WiFi hot spots. Each station contains multiple Superchargers to help you get back on the road quickly."
Which doesn't suggest local access is currently a priority.
Add the fact that they now have per minute parking fees, it would seem to suggest the opposite of encouraging locals.

I have yet to see a single statement by Tesla or Elon suggesting that superchargers are for anything other than long-distance traveling (with the exception of those who are unable to charge at home).

With the advent of the Model 3 and the number of Teslas going up by an order of magnitude, it is even more imperative than ever that locals be discouraged from unnecessary charging.

I have yet to see a single statement by Tesla or Elon suggesting that superchargers are for anything other than long-distance traveling (with the exception of those who are unable to charge at home).

With the advent of the Model 3 and the number of Teslas going up by an order of magnitude, it is even more imperative than ever that locals be discouraged from unnecessary charging.

There is a new Supercharger scheduled for Houston. And San Antonio. And Austin. And Fort Worth. And Dallas. That's just within Texas. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. No reason for the official policy wording to change until the mechanism is in place to charge for Supercharging and there are cars produced that will be paying for Supercharging.

Reactions: geoffreak
There is a new Supercharger scheduled for Houston. And San Antonio. And Austin. And Fort Worth. And Dallas. That's just within Texas. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. No reason for the official policy wording to change until the mechanism is in place to charge for Supercharging and there are cars produced that will be paying for Supercharging.

It looks like they are heading out I 10 at last and anyone should be able to get past Ft. Stockton soon (for LA?).

Unless you actually have some inside information that you're not disclosing, then this is just an expression of what you personally want to happen, without any evidence.

Unless you actually have some inside information that you're not disclosing, then this is just an expression of what you personally want to happen, without any evidence.

There is another possibility -- that I look at trends and policy changes and draw a conclusion. I thought it was obvious that it was my opinion. Regrets if that was not clear to you.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Personally I was just randomly guessing, some would say just wildly speculating - but some folks read so much more into things :D
Local knowledge does help sometimes but my sig says it all.

Reactions: StoXto3toY