Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI was in Austin yesterday and stopped by to charge ~1:30pm and upon pulling in one other Model 3 was there but when I left to drive back to Houston there was a line 2-deep.

Not sure if it was the crap weather yesterday or just a popular spot but heads up to check usage prior to going here to charge as it WILL fill up...and not just during lunch.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS
Stopped for a short charge yesterday because my range was down to 30 miles. All 8 stalls were full with 2 cars waiting. A short wait but after starting charge was only getting 35kw. Curious why it was so low.
Thinking the weather's behind this. Stopped at the Columbus SC to top off before heading NW on 71 to Austin. At first I was not sure if I needed to do so but once on 71 and the weather turned nasty I was glad I did. ~44F, sharp headwind, heavy rains all contributed to my highest w/mi drive - 500+ w/mile! Insane!

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
The next Austin Supercharger install is likely to be 18 urban superchargers at the following address:

Project Name: Tesla Ev Charging Station
Project Address: 9800 1/2 Stonelake Blvd.
City: Austin Zip: 78759 County: Travis
Scope of Work: Installation of Tesla Electric Vehicle Charging Station to include: (9) Tesla Charging Cabinets, (18) Tesla Charging Posts, (1) QED switchgear assembly, (9) auto-transformers, (1) Utility Transformer.
Building/Facility Name: Austin Gateway Shopping Center

This is shopping center is located in the SE quadrant of the intersection between US-183 and TX-360 (N. Capitol of TX Highway). Not sure where in the shopping center the supercharger will be sited, but based on the street address in the filing, it's probably near either the REI or the movie theater lot.

Shoot, I can't figure out how to edit in the source link to the previous post.

AB Data Detail for EABPRJB9802917

This also lists an estimated start date for the project of 2018-12-01 and an end date of 2019-01-01. But frankly, based on the filings from other TX Superchargers, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the dates listed. Though this filing was originally opened on 2018-10-12. So, there's at least some hope that they might actually start in December since it's not like they had started this process a long time ago and might have been delayed since.

EDIT: lol, the "edit" button just showed up. Maybe it wasn't there before because I just signed up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
The next Austin Supercharger install is likely to be 18 urban superchargers at the following address:

Scope of Work: Installation of Tesla Electric Vehicle Charging Station to include: (9) Tesla Charging Cabinets, (18) Tesla Charging Posts, (1) QED switchgear assembly, (9) auto-transformers, (1) Utility Transformer.

This is shopping center is located in the SE quadrant of the intersection between US-183 and TX-360 (N. Capitol of TX Highway). Not sure where in the shopping center the supercharger will be sited, but based on the street address in the filing, it's probably near either the REI or the movie theater lot.
@BlueShift

I’m curious - What is this system? Clearly not permit, not the 811 dig, but does collect money...

The Elimination of Architectural Barriers section(?) managed through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. It's about ensuring that construction projects comply with Texas' accessibility laws, (i.e. that people with disabilities still have access, basically the Texas state law equivalents of Americans with Disabilities Act regulations). So any construction/renovation/etc. project in Texas with an estimated cost >$50,000 needs to have their plans registered and reviewed for compliance. Plus some get inspected and they have some enforcement powers and deal with public complaints about violations. Projects under that value still need to comply with the laws, but the registration and review aren't required. Though I think there's an exception that for certain building uses--e.g. restaurants, schools, etc.--they might be required to do this no matter the project cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus

This is interesting since a survey request was just made for Barton Creek Square Mall at the other end of Capitol of TX Highway.

Also, why do you believe they are Urban Superchargers?

This is interesting since a survey request was just made for Barton Creek Square Mall at the other end of Capitol of TX Highway.
This is a repeat. Tesla had a utility survey there about six weeks ago (as was previously reported). The utility survey for Gateway Shopping Center was back in February. In fact that location was listed on supercharge.info for a while, when the utility survey was erroneously reported as a building permit.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
This is a repeat. Tesla had a utility survey there about six weeks ago (as was previously reported). The utility survey for Gateway Shopping Center was back in February. In fact that location was listed on supercharge.info for a while, when the utility survey was erroneously reported as a building permit.

The fact that they are repeating this order may be significant. I haven't had a chance to visit Austin recently, is it crawling with Model 3s? With lots of condo dwellers perhaps they intend to build both sites? The Model 3 certainly changes the economics of Supercharger build-out.