Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stop there every few days feeding a declining feral cat group and charge at ACC.

ACC bought highland mall and the main mall building is going to be a campus. The massive parking lot was sold to apartment developer and they so far have built a parking garage and at least a 5 story complex so far.

The construction in the strip mall is the chicken wing place call Pluckers. I've not seen anything else moving yet.

Reactions: byeLT4 and vrykolas
Looking closer at the plans, the location is literally right at the very top end of the parking lot, further north even than the money monster. I stopped by this morning to check and thought they had started construction already and took some pictures. Sadly I was mistaken and was looking too far south in amongst the rest of the Line construction.
I'll try again.

Ok - I figured it out.
Looking at the plans, its located right a the very top of the parking lot, north of the Linc. It's easy on and off for I35.
Its just across the road from Shanghai Chinese Cuisine :)
Anyway, here is one picture at least, there are markings and red flags all over the place.
At least now we know where it is we can keep an eye on it.
If you're interested I left the location info in the pic...
Apple Photos Document.jpg

thanks. I like the location in general. I just hope they don't tear up those nice trees in the photo.
If this is within the city limit, which I believe it to be, they will be unable to do any trenching within the critical root zone of those live oaks without a special allowance. And if they do somehow get a permit to remove them, they'll need to replace native trees totaling their full diameter somewhere nearby.

Austin is serious about their trees.

If this is within the city limit, which I believe it to be, they will be unable to do any trenching within the critical root zone of those live oaks without a special allowance. And if they do somehow get a permit to remove them, they'll need to replace native trees totaling their full diameter somewhere nearby.

Austin is serious about their trees.

My guess is that they will do vacuum excavation like they did in Arlington when they put the trench near the trees there. Check out the pictures from the Arlington supercharger construction thread (page 4). It's pretty amazing that they are able to leave the roots with little to no damage.

Reactions: CarlS
It will be interesting getting there as you come off the freeway heading south and the very south end of the lot (next to the new Pluckers).

Getting back on should be easy as there is a nice on ramp and a u turn before the light to head back north. Coming from the south, you exit past it and u turn to come back to it.

There are quite a few CHAdeMO high voltage high speed charging stations inside Austin operated by EVgo. You have to buy or borrow a $450 adapter, and they are slower than a Supercharger, but they are still very fast compared to a level 2 charge.

There are quite a few CHAdeMO high voltage high speed charging stations inside Austin operated by EVgo. You have to buy or borrow a $450 adapter, and they are slower than a Supercharger, but they are still very fast compared to a level 2 charge.

My experience with CHAdeMO has been less than optimal. The charger at Rouse's market (New Orleans ... a member of this list has loaned his adapter to the manager's desk at the market) worked for half a second, flipped off, I tried three more times, worked for a few seconds, stopped for good ... even after I cleaned the air intake filter and reset the unit). I am sure this is an individual experience, but it burned me pretty bad such that I had to alter my travel plans a-la 110V for 6 hours until I could make it to the Slidell Charger.

Anyhow, I am fairly sure I have a functional plan for my travel to Bastrop, so I will just be eager to see when this site goes online.

OK - having seen the container there on the way in, I stopped by during lunch.
Two pickups, an SUV, one bobcat, one mini backhoe, a trailer full of what looks like 6" conduit.
Several guys working with one building what looked like formers. I took a quick picture and will upload it later this evening when I get home.
But it looks like construction really has commenced. I pass by every day so will try to get more pics.

This will be such a game changer. I occasionally drive from Austin to San Marcos if I get in the danger zone. (I live in an apartment building and don't have guaranteed access to a charger).

Congrats man!! I'm in the same situation in Seattle and I'm just now getting my San Marcos (Monroe, WA). Would be great to have something in the city, but 30 miles away is way better than 70 miles away lol.

My experience with CHAdeMO has been less than optimal. The charger at Rouse's market (New Orleans ... a member of this list has loaned his adapter to the manager's desk at the market) worked for half a second, flipped off, I tried three more times, worked for a few seconds, stopped for good ... even after I cleaned the air intake filter and reset the unit).l.
Rouse's tries but they have constant problems with everything from ICEing to destructive users. Some months ago the handle was broken although it could be made to work. EVGo has it's own problems apart from egregious pricing. Luckily most other CHAdeMO in my experience have worked well.