Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I've used HPWCs in Austin before, but it's kind of a pain/slow when just visiting family.
For example, this weekend my brother-in-law had to drive me (only 10 minutes) to drop X at Rudy's BBQ to charge for a couple hours Saturday night (to give me enough to drive back Sunday). It's definitely manageable, just inconvenient.

I thought about paying to install a NEMA 14-50. I might reconsider this since I have family member (in Austin) who is an electrician (I definitely wouldn't try this myself).

Thanks @brkaus and @TexasEV for the encouragement.

I'm assuming that you've already investigated if their dryer's are too far away?

I routinely visit family in Georgetown and in Little Rock. At both places, we have a ritual. Soon after arrival and the hugs and luggage is unloaded, I get out my welding cable extension cord, my universal dryer outlet adapter, and scoot out their dryer a little bit and plug in. Of course I dial the amps down to 24 to avoid tripping their breaker and any related hazards. This gets me about 18 mph charge and I'm good to go in the morning.

Obviously, this does you no good if their dryer is no where accessible from the outside.

Thread Hijack ...

Of course I dial the amps down to 24 to avoid tripping their breaker and any related hazards.

I cannot agree with you MORE! Too many times I have attached to a 10-30/14-30, etc and fifteen minutes later my phone pings "charging interrupted" - only to find out (a) breaker flipped, (b) UMC detected heat and stopped, (c) something else. I tend to throw down math, see what the minumum I need by, say 0700 the next day, and work up from there. Has saved me sleep and (in some cases) a trip back to the RV park / home / whatever ... where I was charging.

... Hijack alert suspended

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Also don't forget that EVGo has about a half dozen CHAdeMO stations in the Austin area. Of course it's preferable to charge overnight where you are, but if that isn't an option and you have to drive somewhere to charge, the CHAdeMO is a lot faster than a HPWC or J1772.

Reactions: vrykolas
Also don't forget that EVGo has about a half dozen CHAdeMO stations in the Austin area. Of course it's preferable to charge overnight where you are, but if that isn't an option and you have to drive somewhere to charge, the CHAdeMO is a lot faster than a HPWC or J1772.

The ECGo Walmart CHAdeMO's in Austin were free. I used one after they started charging and paid around $7.75 for 30 minutes for about 70 miles of charge. They are expensive to use but better than running your battery down to zero.

Last edited:
That is usually the explanation. Only so many trained crews. Where is there another one under construction?

It would appear that the Flatonia, TX location is the only one remotely anywhere near Austin that is under construction, and... lo and behold... they're nearly finished -
Supercharger - Flatonia, TX
And that was from Sunday April 30 so I imagine that the crew is ready to move onto here now! I was hoping it would be ready before May 20 but that's improbable at this point.

Update as of Sunday below. Note I found a piece of paperwork on the ground... company is out of NV. All quiet.
IMG_2251.jpg IMG_2252.jpg IMG_2253.jpg

I found the reason for the delay. Austin are asking them to do a detailed survey of the trees to show which ones need protecting due to their size etc. The denial was dated 4/27. It was on a different file number so didn't show up with the initial application.

"You are required to protect the critical root zone of existing trees over 8" in diameter....
...I have copied the arborist on this email as you will need a tree permit and I know you are in a hurry"

At least its before they have dug anything.
Potentially more concerning is the line in the denial that says "...The plan will likely not meet preservation criteria"

Ho-hum....

I found the reason for the delay. Austin are asking them to do a detailed survey of the trees to show which ones need protecting due to their size etc. The denial was dated 4/27. It was on a different file number so didn't show up with the initial application.

"You are required to protect the critical root zone of existing trees over 8" in diameter....
...I have copied the arborist on this email as you will need a tree permit and I know you are in a hurry"

At least its before they have dug anything.
Potentially more concerning is the line in the denial that says "...The plan will likely not meet preservation criteria"

Ho-hum....
I told you Austin was serious about their trees...

Reactions: byeLT4 and vrykolas