Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

Electroman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2012
TX
I found the reason for the delay. Austin are asking them to do a detailed survey of the trees to show which ones need protecting due to their size

I love it !.

This is how one should be zealous and protect their environment. Trees take a long time to grow, at least in the Dallas area it takes upto 20 years for a tree to fully grow with a decent canopy. To somehow destroy it due to carelessness of a contractor, or greediness of an establishment will be real bad.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
I love it !.

This is how one should be zealous and protect their environment. Trees take a long time to grow, at least in the Dallas area it takes upto 20 years for a tree to fully grow with a decent canopy. To somehow destroy it due to carelessness of a contractor, or greediness of an establishment will be real bad.
agreed - it will be much nicer charging in the natural shade.

ohmman

Plaid-ish Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay, CA
I lived in Austin for two decades. I built a couple of custom homes while I lived there, and one of the lots was covered with native cedar elms, live oaks, and post oaks (true Lockhart BBQ wood, btw). Going through design and build, it was like directing thread through 40 needles that were scattered randomly. At the time I found it really obstructive to the building process, but also understood the importance of preserving the trees. We spent a lot of time and wound up losing one of the trees. 27" diameter, so we had to plant 27" diameter of Class I native trees on a tiny lot that was basically "the woods." The best we could do was under canopy trees like redbuds. In the end, we had what was basically a very cool treehouse with awesome, well adapted varieties growing where they were supposed to be growing.

Sorry for the distraction. My point is just that a momentary inconvenience can potentially be for the long term greater good. I'm guessing that's the case here. Native shade on Supercharging cars in Austin's intense heat is going to save energy, create beauty, and please the eye.

VonHeinrich

Feb 17, 2015
Austin, TX
There is not near enough activity on super chargers to meet their new doubling of super chargers in 2017. Half the year is almost up:-( I'm just hoping they complete the I-10 corridor by the end of 2017;-)

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
There is not near enough activity on super chargers to meet their new doubling of super chargers in 2017. Half the year is almost up:-( I'm just hoping they complete the I-10 corridor by the end of 2017;-)
I would doubt that the crew is sitting idle, I would guess they are working somewhere else.
We just have to find out where.

Kcharwood

Oct 22, 2016
Austin, TX
Progress Report:

The three tiny traffic cones that were setup to "prevent" pulling into the location have either been removed or stolen!

No other visible updates.

Kcharwood

Oct 22, 2016
Austin, TX
Another week has passed, and no action at all at this site. Everything still just sitting in boxes. Doesn't appear anything has been done around the trees in question either.

SapphireX

Jun 1, 2016
Austin, TX
agreed - it will be much nicer charging in the natural shade.

I like charging in the shade too but the Grackles also love to roost in the trees in this area ....

upload_2017-5-24_8-24-50.png

Reactions: benjiejr

Missile Toad

2021 MSLR Wht/Blk/19 | OD 6/10/21 | RN# 11512xx
Aug 30, 2016
Houston
Strange, I recall seeing the grackles in Ft. Worth, Austin and San Antonio. However, after living in Houston for 10 years, I can't remember seeing grackles anywhere (I spend most of my time in the pine trees in the North East side).

SapphireX

Jun 1, 2016
Austin, TX
Strange, I recall seeing the grackles in Ft. Worth, Austin and San Antonio. However, after living in Houston for 10 years, I can't remember seeing grackles anywhere (I spend most of my time in the pine trees in the North East side).

There was a noticeable decline in the Grackle population around the time that West Nile Virus got going in Texas.
According to the CDC ( https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/8/pdfs/05-0289a.pdf ) they had > 40% mortality rates.
But no worries .... they are back now and they brought reinforcements. Also see a lot of large Ravens that I'd
never noticed in over 40 years in Austin.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
Wow, we must be desperate to be discussing the bird population on Austin :pNothing changed on the permit site today, so nothing has come back to the city.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
No, that looks more like still waiting for construction to begin. I don't see any construction happening.
Yep pretty much every tree is big enough to have its own preservation tag on it.
Still waiting for the arborist by the looks of things.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC