Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the reason for the delay. Austin are asking them to do a detailed survey of the trees to show which ones need protecting due to their size

I love it !.

This is how one should be zealous and protect their environment. Trees take a long time to grow, at least in the Dallas area it takes upto 20 years for a tree to fully grow with a decent canopy. To somehow destroy it due to carelessness of a contractor, or greediness of an establishment will be real bad.

I love it !.

This is how one should be zealous and protect their environment. Trees take a long time to grow, at least in the Dallas area it takes upto 20 years for a tree to fully grow with a decent canopy. To somehow destroy it due to carelessness of a contractor, or greediness of an establishment will be real bad.
agreed - it will be much nicer charging in the natural shade.

I lived in Austin for two decades. I built a couple of custom homes while I lived there, and one of the lots was covered with native cedar elms, live oaks, and post oaks (true Lockhart BBQ wood, btw). Going through design and build, it was like directing thread through 40 needles that were scattered randomly. At the time I found it really obstructive to the building process, but also understood the importance of preserving the trees. We spent a lot of time and wound up losing one of the trees. 27" diameter, so we had to plant 27" diameter of Class I native trees on a tiny lot that was basically "the woods." The best we could do was under canopy trees like redbuds. In the end, we had what was basically a very cool treehouse with awesome, well adapted varieties growing where they were supposed to be growing.

Sorry for the distraction. My point is just that a momentary inconvenience can potentially be for the long term greater good. I'm guessing that's the case here. Native shade on Supercharging cars in Austin's intense heat is going to save energy, create beauty, and please the eye.

agreed - it will be much nicer charging in the natural shade.

I like charging in the shade too but the Grackles also love to roost in the trees in this area ....

upload_2017-5-24_8-24-50.png

Reactions: benjiejr
I like charging in the shade too but the Grackles also love to roost in the trees in this area ....
It's been a few years since I lived there, but aren't the grackles everywhere?

I remember before I knew what kind of bird they were, I'd just refer to them as "HEB parking lot birds."

Strange, I recall seeing the grackles in Ft. Worth, Austin and San Antonio. However, after living in Houston for 10 years, I can't remember seeing grackles anywhere (I spend most of my time in the pine trees in the North East side).

There was a noticeable decline in the Grackle population around the time that West Nile Virus got going in Texas.
According to the CDC ( https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/8/pdfs/05-0289a.pdf ) they had > 40% mortality rates.
But no worries .... they are back now and they brought reinforcements. Also see a lot of large Ravens that I'd
never noticed in over 40 years in Austin.