Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly one won't be enough for that traffic. There's a second one rightly planned for the North Loop by the "end of 2017" (Tesla Time™), but unless they've learned some tricks from this experience, it will still be a while before that one's up.
99% sure this is the North Loop one.

There is one planned for “Downtown” in 2017.

As long as this one isn’t filled up by locals looking for free charging...

I've been to Austin 3 times on the last year including today to see my daughter and still no Supercharger. It's getting ridiculous!!! Heading to San Marcos now. Had to stay in a hotel with Tesla HPWC last two times. Disappointing to say the least!!

Inspection sticker. Should just be meter install now then waiting on Tesla

Attachments

• 309EA267-F591-437C-8C08-FC49480700B1.jpeg
    309EA267-F591-437C-8C08-FC49480700B1.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 77
Waco will get you to Austin, but without an Austin SC you can't easily get back to Waco without scrounging around. I know, I just did it this summer

I have done this a few times.. sort of a cannon run to UT Austin with no local driving. Charge to 100% in Waco, and drive conservatively to Austin, and then head back and maybe draft a truck or two for about 50 miles should get you back to Waco with around 20+ miles remaining. Of course all of my runs were on nice sunny day and no huge traffic backups. That is why a SpC in Austin and one in Temple will make this Dallas-Austin section very comfortable.

I'll call it a miracle if it is operational by Thursday. My backup plan is to use DC at Home2 (Round Rock) overnight. There's a number of L2 chargers around on PlugShare, I will figure something out.
In case you didn't know or see on Plugshare, but there are also 2 HPWC at Rudy's BBQ on 3406 in Round Rock. Not supercharger speed, but should be faster than L2. Be forewarned that there is construction at that overpass with 35, so may not be ideal. Right now can only go westbound on 3406 over 35, eastbound is closed. The chargers are almost always open though when I go by and can get some good BBQ too. Just thought I would throw that option out there if it is any help.

In case you didn't know or see on Plugshare, but there are also 2 HPWC at Rudy's BBQ on 3406 in Round Rock. Not supercharger speed, but should be faster than L2. Be forewarned that there is construction at that overpass with 35, so may not be ideal. Right now can only go westbound on 3406 over 35, eastbound is closed. The chargers are almost always open though when I go by and can get some good BBQ too. Just thought I would throw that option out there if it is any help.
Yup, saw the Rudy's BBQ on the PlugShare, but thanks for a reminder. I should be more specific: Home2 also has HPWC, so it should work for overnight stay.

. Had to stay in a hotel with Tesla HPWC last two times. Disappointing to say the least!!
“Had to stay”? When traveling I prefer to stay in a hotel with Tesla HPWCs. I seek out hotels with destination charging and tell them that’s why I’m staying there. Nothing better than waking up with a 100% charge when you’re traveling. In Austin there are 17 hotels on Tesla’s destination charging map. Surely one of them would suit your needs and budget.

“Had to stay”? When traveling I prefer to stay in a hotel with Tesla HPWCs. I seek out hotels with destination charging and tell them that’s why I’m staying there. Nothing better than waking up with a 100% charge when you’re traveling. In Austin there are 17 hotels on Tesla’s destination charging map. Surely one of them would suit your needs and budget.

Yes. Hotel with charging is my primary plan. Knowing a supercharger exists is the backup. Can’t beat waking up at 90-100% charge. That’s 45 min at a supercharger.

In case it doesn't get done by Thurs just fill up in Waco. A round trip to Austin is a cinch with a 100 mi left to run around Austin. That's way more than my son's original Nissan Leaf (73 mi). Also that's a rockin' chaDEmo in the WalMart parking lot at 620 and I-35. You get the full 50. In an hour we got enough to easily reach the Cisco SC.

Reactions: arcus