TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger availability status: All messed up

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by 4SUPER9, Jun 16, 2018.

1. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Supporting Member

I saw someone else mention this in another thread last week, but could not find a discussion on it.
    I just drove from LA to Fresno and back today. This is what I found:
    • Tejon Ranch: Screen said 14 of 24 stalls available. Not one single car was there.
    • Kettleman: Screen said 30 of 40 stalls available. Not one single car was there.
    • Buttonwillow: Screen said 2 of 10 stalls available. Not one single car was there.
    What gives?

2. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I noticed the same problem on 31 May. Said Flagstaff, AZ was "reduced service/no service" but was able to charge there with no problem. Was one other car there.
    On 9 May, it said Hawthorne, NV had 6 of 8 stalls occupied. There was nobody there. Same with Gardnerville, NV

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

A.I. is getting smarter and it knows how to lie!

4. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

I just signed on while supercharging in Rockford, IL to see if anyone else noticed this.

Map shows 6/8 super chargers in use. I was alone for 20 minutes, then a model X showed up.

5. roblab

roblab Active Member

Since most travelling Teslas charge in about 20 minutes (to get to the next charger), cars move in and out of SC sites quickly, every few minutes. If a traveller is 10 to 20 miles out when they check the status of a charger site, it would not be unusual to have ten cars or thirty show up on the screen and be gone by the time the travelling car gets there.

And we have no idea the lag time between the charger reporting to Tesla that it is in use or empty, and when it shows up on the app, nor how long the data hangs at the app.

Basically, looking at the charging site app is only an indication of what one might find. No surprise.

6. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Supporting Member

That is a reasonable hypothesis, but not applicable to what I have seen. I arrived at Kettleman at 8am. No way we’re there 10 cars there anytime over several hours before I arrived. Well, at least, extremely unlikely. Same goes for Tejon at 6am or so. The status system was simply inaccurate. I don’t know if it still is.

7. cpa

cpa Active Member

Yes, the information is still unreliable and suspect.

My wife and I arrived at Kettleman City two Sundays ago. The display indicated that 33/40 were available when we were two miles away. We arrived and there was one other car charging. We charged for 20 minutes. One more car arrived during our stay. The display stayed fixed on 33/40 available.

There must be some sort of periodic polling of the SC cabinets for this information. If one or more are non responsive, the default is to show that the stalls are in use or not available. Tesla might not know whether the stall is broken, the power is off, or just that the station is ignoring the message.

While this is preferred, I think that by now Tesla would be able to discern between a power outage, broken stall, or temperamental reporting.