Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger availability status: All messed up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
I saw someone else mention this in another thread last week, but could not find a discussion on it.
I just drove from LA to Fresno and back today. This is what I found:
  • Tejon Ranch: Screen said 14 of 24 stalls available. Not one single car was there.
  • Kettleman: Screen said 30 of 40 stalls available. Not one single car was there.
  • Buttonwillow: Screen said 2 of 10 stalls available. Not one single car was there.
What gives?

I noticed the same problem on 31 May. Said Flagstaff, AZ was "reduced service/no service" but was able to charge there with no problem. Was one other car there.
On 9 May, it said Hawthorne, NV had 6 of 8 stalls occupied. There was nobody there. Same with Gardnerville, NV

I noticed the same problem on 31 May. Said Flagstaff, AZ was "reduced service/no service" but was able to charge there with no problem. Was one other car there.
On 9 May, it said Hawthorne, NV had 6 of 8 stalls occupied. There was nobody there. Same with Gardnerville, NV

I just signed on while supercharging in Rockford, IL to see if anyone else noticed this.

Map shows 6/8 super chargers in use. I was alone for 20 minutes, then a model X showed up.

Since most travelling Teslas charge in about 20 minutes (to get to the next charger), cars move in and out of SC sites quickly, every few minutes. If a traveller is 10 to 20 miles out when they check the status of a charger site, it would not be unusual to have ten cars or thirty show up on the screen and be gone by the time the travelling car gets there.

And we have no idea the lag time between the charger reporting to Tesla that it is in use or empty, and when it shows up on the app, nor how long the data hangs at the app.

Basically, looking at the charging site app is only an indication of what one might find. No surprise.

Since most travelling Teslas charge in about 20 minutes (to get to the next charger), cars move in and out of SC sites quickly, every few minutes. If a traveller is 10 to 20 miles out when they check the status of a charger site, it would not be unusual to have ten cars or thirty show up on the screen and be gone by the time the travelling car gets there.

And we have no idea the lag time between the charger reporting to Tesla that it is in use or empty, and when it shows up on the app, nor how long the data hangs at the app.

Basically, looking at the charging site app is only an indication of what one might find. No surprise.
That is a reasonable hypothesis, but not applicable to what I have seen. I arrived at Kettleman at 8am. No way we’re there 10 cars there anytime over several hours before I arrived. Well, at least, extremely unlikely. Same goes for Tejon at 6am or so. The status system was simply inaccurate. I don’t know if it still is.

Yes, the information is still unreliable and suspect.

My wife and I arrived at Kettleman City two Sundays ago. The display indicated that 33/40 were available when we were two miles away. We arrived and there was one other car charging. We charged for 20 minutes. One more car arrived during our stay. The display stayed fixed on 33/40 available.

There must be some sort of periodic polling of the SC cabinets for this information. If one or more are non responsive, the default is to show that the stalls are in use or not available. Tesla might not know whether the stall is broken, the power is off, or just that the station is ignoring the message.

While this is preferred, I think that by now Tesla would be able to discern between a power outage, broken stall, or temperamental reporting.

Has this been resolved? I had a problem because I wanted to charge but the location showed full. The next day I went since it showed 1/2 full (14 stalls) and when I got there 2 cars were there. I continued to check the screen while I charged and the whole time it showed 1/2 full or more as a couple cars came and went for the 30 minutes I was there. The whole time my gps showed about 7 cars there when there was 2-3. This is at the Santa Ana station.

Has this been resolved? I had a problem because I wanted to charge but the location showed full. The next day I went since it showed 1/2 full (14 stalls) and when I got there 2 cars were there. I continued to check the screen while I charged and the whole time it showed 1/2 full or more as a couple cars came and went for the 30 minutes I was there. The whole time my gps showed about 7 cars there when there was 2-3. This is at the Santa Ana station.
I only noticed the problem during a Nevada road trip in June. Since then it's been accurate for me (mostly California).