Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday there was a wait, albeit maybe 15-30 minutes for some cars, to use the SC in Gilroy. We were there and used the SC for about 30-40 mins to charge from 30 rated miles to 185 rated miles. Another car pulled up just a minute or two after we did and we spoke with the owner. The owner lived about 30 miles north and had just come down to use the SC and do some shopping. She said she had 217 miles on the car when she started to charge. I said "really?" When we moved our car 30-40 minutes later, she was still parked there. I got the impression this was not the first time she did this, and she didn't seem to think it would inconvenience anyone if she parked there for a few hours. I let the folks in MP know this when I stopped by there this morning on the way to run an errand. They acknowledged this was an issue. They also said that more chargers were planned in particular for the Gilroy location.

Yesterday there was a wait, albeit maybe 15-30 minutes for some cars, to use the SC in Gilroy. We were there and used the SC for about 30-40 mins to charge from 30 rated miles to 185 rated miles. Another car pulled up just a minute or two after we did and we spoke with the owner. The owner lived about 30 miles north and had just come down to use the SC and do some shopping. She said she had 217 miles on the car when she started to charge. I said "really?" When we moved our car 30-40 minutes later, she was still parked there. I got the impression this was not the first time she did this, and she didn't seem to think it would inconvenience anyone if she parked there for a few hours. I let the folks in MP know this when I stopped by there this morning on the way to run an errand. They acknowledged this was an issue. They also said that more chargers were planned in particular for the Gilroy location.

I have no problems with locals using free charging, but that's pretty inconsiderate. She needed probably less than a dollar worth of electricity. Just park in a regular spot if you want to shop and don't need the charge.

But if you need to supercharge . . . don't you need it whether or not you may have to wait? I guess it's nice to know there'll be a wait, but not knowing how long it'd be, and wanting to get charged as soon as you could (I think), I think I'd want to be there waiting for it to free up.

When SCs are close together it would help to know so one can make a decision on whether to keep driving to the next set of SCs (Connecticut, for example, where there are SCs on both the northbound and southbound rest stops. Or where Tesla is rumored to be installing another set just 30 miles or so south of the Milford location). While there's no guarantee that someone won't take the empty bay by the time I get there at least I would know whether to keep driving to the next ones. Or to the rest area across the highway that also has SCs.

At that high state of charge she is charging no more than at HPWC rates. I doubt even if she knew that fact it would alter her behavior. It would be helpful if Tesla installed Roadster HPCs with available adapter cables for Model Ss at Supercharger stations. This would accommodate both Roadster owners and Model S owners with high states of charge. Maybe with appropriate signage (If you have more that 170 miles of rated range, please don't use the Supercharger and move to the Level 2 charger) people like this lady might be induced to vacate the Supercharger positions.

Larry

What if everyone that's waiting at a SC peppers Tesla (isn't there a phone number on the SC?) with reports that they are there waiting. Would Tesla make a phone call to a MS owner that's done charging, requesting that they move their car? Seems fair to me, and a small price to pay for free charging.

At that high state of charge she is charging no more than at HPWC rates. I doubt even if she knew that fact it would alter her behavior. It would be helpful if Tesla installed Roadster HPCs with available adapter cables for Model Ss at Supercharger stations. This would accommodate both Roadster owners and Model S owners with high states of charge. Maybe with appropriate signage (If you have more that 170 miles of rated range, please don't use the Supercharger and move to the Level 2 charger) people like this lady might be induced to vacate the Supercharger positions.

Larry

This is actually a good idea. I would even take it a step further, and put in 1 or 2 40+ amp j1772's in, along with a sign that reads:

"Free charging for all Electric Vehicles courtesy of Tesla Motors. Please use this charger if you are going to be here for more than an hour, and move your vehicle when charging is complete"

This would accommodate roadster owners, as well as provide a nice service to the Model S's out there without supercharging (putting in a 80+ amp EVSE might deter people from choosing the supercharging option, so a 40 amp may be the way to go). More importantly for the long term, it would, for a low price, build a significant L2 infrastructure that would help spur EV adoption. It will also bring drivers of competing vehicles up close and personal to Tesla's, and they will see 3-4 Model S's charge in the time it takes their car to charge up, and without a doubt, it will make them wish they had a Tesla instead. In the long run, spending an extra 2-3k per site to put in L2 capability will result in more Tesla sales.

This is actually a good idea. I would even take it a step further, and put in 1 or 2 40+ amp j1772's in, along with a sign that reads:

"Free charging for all Electric Vehicles courtesy of Tesla Motors. Please use this charger if you are going to be here for more than an hour, and move your vehicle when charging is complete"

This would accommodate roadster owners, as well as provide a nice service to the Model S's out there without supercharging (putting in a 80+ amp EVSE might deter people from choosing the supercharging option, so a 40 amp may be the way to go). More importantly for the long term, it would, for a low price, build a significant L2 infrastructure that would help spur EV adoption. It will also bring drivers of competing vehicles up close and personal to Tesla's, and they will see 3-4 Model S's charge in the time it takes their car to charge up, and without a doubt, it will make them wish they had a Tesla instead. In the long run, spending an extra 2-3k per site to put in L2 capability will result in more Tesla sales.
The purpose of offering an 80amp HPC, with Model S adapter cable, is to provide a similar convenience to Model S owners with high states of charge so that they would be motivated to vacate the Supercharger position and make it available to people that really need a fast charge.

If you offer only half the charging rate with SAE chargers they are less likely to vacate the Supercharger especially if there are a line of Volts and Leafs occupying those Level 2 chargers looking for free power.

Larry

Last edited: