Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would the cars we currently own even be able to handle 350kW?

No.

My speculation is that Baker might have a "V3" central charger connected to all 40 stalls, instead of one charger for every two stalls. Each stall would get whatever power the car using it could handle.

40 stalls at 120 kW each would take nearly 5 MW. Since not all 40 cars would need full power at the same time, the central charger might be less than half as powerful, maybe 1-2 MW. Still powerful enough to make 350 kW seem like a child's toy.

This sort of arrangement would be much more customer friendly than having to find specific stalls that have full power available to charge your car, like we have to do today.

GSP

Do we even know if a v3 350 kW SC exists, or is that speculation too?

Assumed to be higher than 350kW due to this conversation:

upload_2017-9-7_0-35-39.png

With the exception of some of the star-gazing posts, trying to navigate this upcoming 40-stall site, and theorizing about how Tesla could better handle charging here is, to my eyes, close enough to be considered on-topic.
Moderator note: because this Supercharger is not yet operational, speculation about higher charging rates and how a 40 stall location will actually work is allowable to a certain degree (astronomical discussions are off topic). Once the Supercharger becomes operational and we know the charging rate, anyone who wishes to discuss/complain/speculate about higher charge rates is welcome to start a separate thread about that in the appropriate forum, meaning not the California Superchargers forum. But if the discussion about "Supercharger V3" becomes too extensive, it will be moved, as there are existing threads about that. Do a search and you will find them.

This thread is for discussions specific to the Baker Supercharger.

Thank you.

The supercharge.info map shows this site in a much more isolated location than the address in the permit, 71808 Baker Blvd. I think it confused several posters here. The correct address is just 0.4 miles away from "downtown", while the supercharger.info location is 1.6 miles away. I hope nobody put their life savings into buying land next to the supercharge.info location.

@BlueShift
As of now, the supercharger.info map shows the construction cone in the correct place, well one lot over from where I took the above pictures.

Assumed to be higher than 350kW due to this conversation:

View attachment 246063

And people still insist that it must be 350kW+ Supercharging imminent despite ...
- the reason for the 350kW reference being an announced CCS charging station for Baker, CA with 4 plugs that can supply up to 350kW; for the foreseeable future that 350kW will just be maximum supplied because there aren't any production CCS BEVs that can charge anywhere near that fast
- almost all existing Supercharger _sites_ _already_ supply more than 350kW total; new California Supercharger sites typically have at least 12 stalls, so a total of 750kW
- now knowing that Tesla is building 2 40-stall sites which should have a total power of _at least 2.5MW_
- Elon Musk's hyperbolic tendencies

So if there's media excitement at one 350kW CCS site when globally Tesla has hundreds of open sites with more stalls and more power, do you think that Elon Musk's comment had to be referring to the charging rate?

(Yes, I think that people are crazy to think that it was anything more than a jab at the capacity).

And people still insist that it must be 350kW+ Supercharging imminent despite ...
- the reason for the 350kW reference being an announced CCS charging station for Baker, CA with 4 plugs that can supply up to 350kW; for the foreseeable future that 350kW will just be maximum supplied because there aren't any production CCS BEVs that can charge anywhere near that fast
- almost all existing Supercharger _sites_ _already_ supply more than 350kW total; new California Supercharger sites typically have at least 12 stalls, so a total of 750kW
- now knowing that Tesla is building 2 40-stall sites which should have a total power of _at least 2.5MW_
- Elon Musk's hyperbolic tendencies

So if there's media excitement at one 350kW CCS site when globally Tesla has hundreds of open sites with more stalls and more power, do you think that Elon Musk's comment had to be referring to the charging rate?

(Yes, I think that people are crazy to think that it was anything more than a jab at the capacity).

To follow up on myself here. I'm not excluding the possibility that Tesla will create a new _Supercharger cabinet_ that can supply greater than 350kW. In fact, I think it would make a great deal of sense for them to create a system that can divide power more flexibly. I hope that they can do it. But I do not anticipate charging power for Tesla cars to increase any time soon because there's so much more money to be made by lowering costs and raising energy density. A high-power unit for semis is a different matter...

Reactions: jvonbokel
Hello from the Barstow Supercharger.

Apologies for the quality of the photos from Baker. Stopped by today on my way home from Vegas.

More than happy to try to explain things more once I get home. Large square to the side of the DQ and then some trenching across a first road behind the DQ.

Would have posted more if I knew there were not others posted yet.
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_4675.JPG
IMG_6011.JPG
IMG_7052.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_8752.JPG

How long do they usually take to finish? I'm going to Vegas in November should it be done by then?

Hopefully. I'm sure there will be much more photos between now and then. Also check out the Yermo supercharger thread. Eddie's World seems almost ready to go. Last we drove by in mid July 2017 it was just the main building, framed and mudded. No stalls or gas pumps were in place. So two months, for Yermo to almost be ready to go.

How long do they usually take to finish? I'm going to Vegas in November should it be done by then?
Impossible to tell, nobody here would know. This is the first "Super Center" Tesla is constructing in the USA. There is another one in Kettleman City, CA under construction as well. This will be 40 stations. You'd have to go to Norway to find another location with that many stalls. Also, this location was literally just dirt, so none of the infrastructure is there to start with. November seems optimistic, but that is a wild guess (which is all we can do at this point).

When talking about Supercharger construction timeframes, there is no such thing as "usually". Some aspects are outside of Teslas control. Each site is different.

DO NOT count on using this site for future trips. There are alternatives.