Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even with 5 Powerpacks, the question in my mind is how big the utility transformer will be. Typical 8-12 stall sites without batteries have had 750kVA transformers.

For 10 stalls: 5 * 160kVA (rated max input per cabinet) = 800 kVA
For 40 stalls: 20 * 160kVA = 3,200 kVA

How big do they make 277Y480V transformers?
3000 kVA padmount three phase transformers providing 277/480 are common.

So I've noticed on my long cross country trips that the local utilities often install 500 kVA transformers to serve eight charging pedestals. Extrapolating that to 40 pedestals, a 2500 kVA transformer should suffice. Five times the pedestals = five times the transformer capacity. Remember, the cars don't pull full power for long on a charge session. Actually, as the pedestal count goes up, some natural load "diversity" will likely apply, allowing use of a somewhat smaller unit, like maybe a 2000 kVA. This is approximately 20% of the capacity of a typical 12 kV distribution feeder, providing fairly robust conductors are used, and the distance from the substation is not too great.

Drove by it earlier. It pretty good walk to any eating place. U like Barstow where they are surrounded by things, this place is way out there. Practically the last building before freeway entrance.

Look like an active business still there

Baker, CA

Interstates: I-15
US Numbered Highways (<=5 mi): None

I-15:
To: Primm, NV - 48.5 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Las Vegas Blvd South, NV - 83.7 miles

To: Kingman, AZ (I-15BUS,I-15,u,US-95,NV-163,AZ-95,AZ-68,US-93): 140 miles
To: Needles, CA (I-15BUS,I-15,u,US-95,I-40): 122 miles
To: Twentynine Palms, CA (CA-127,u,CA-62): 127 miles
To: Yermo, CA (I-15BUS,CA-127,I-15): 54.1 miles
To: Beatty, NV (I-15BUS,CA-127,NV-373,US-95): 137 miles

Money, what does the description "u" mean in your legend? For example, from Baker to 29 Palms you omit Kelbaker Road that takes you through the desert and across Interstate 40 before reaching 29 Palms and SR62. A fine drive when there are no flash flood warnings.

Money, what does the description "u" mean in your legend? For example, from Baker to 29 Palms you omit Kelbaker Road that takes you through the desert and across Interstate 40 before reaching 29 Palms and SR62. A fine drive when there are no flash flood warnings.
I'm pretty sure the "u" is for unnumbered route or whatever, i.e. Kelbaker Rd, Amboy Rd, etc.

105 degrees at midnight and wind so fierce it nearly blew the doors off our rental car when we stopped there for gas a few years ago. Had to grab the door with both hands to pull it closed. My wife was too scared to get out of the vehicle. That was at midnight. Maybe it was more pleasant at another time.

I will say that we pulled off the road a few miles out of town, and saw the Milky Way overhead. That was a priceless view. Here in Southern California we sometimes can't see further than a few miles with the smog we have now.

105 degrees at midnight and wind so fierce it nearly blew the doors off our rental car when we stopped there for gas a few years ago. Had to grab the door with both hands to pull it closed. My wife was too scared to get out of the vehicle. That was at midnight. Maybe it was more pleasant at another time.

I will say that we pulled off the road a few miles out of town, and saw the Milky Way overhead. That was a priceless view. Here in Southern California we sometimes can't see further than a few miles with the smog we have now.
It's not just the smog, it's the light pollution. I definitely make it a point to get out of the car and take a look overhead every now and then when I'm road tripping through the middle of nowhere and it's clear. It usually coincides with a roadside piss lol

Keep looking up!

Reactions: Vern Padgett
It's not just the smog, it's the light pollution. I definitely make it a point to get out of the car and take a look overhead every now and then when I'm road tripping through the middle of nowhere and it's clear. It usually coincides with a roadside piss lol
Keep looking up!
So true. Our first Airbnb was in Flagstaff, and also our first stop driving our new S90D from L.A. area to Texas last summer.

The host told us all about Flagstaff's light restrictions-- she said it was a "dark city" or something like that-- porch lights had to shine only down, not into the sky.

Los Angeles has 10 million porch lights on all night long "for safety" so it never gets dark here.

New 105 degrees at midnight and wind so fierce it nearly blew the doors off our rental car when we stopped there for gas a few years ago. Had to grab the door with both hands to pull it closed. My wife was too scared to get out of the vehicle. That was at midnight. Maybe it was more pleasant at another time.

The first lesson you learn here in the Mojave desert is to always have a full hand on your door when you open it. Not just a finger, a firm grip. Lots of cars have dents just in front of the door from being over-centered by wind.

We had a Model X as a loaner for a few days recently; I am pretty sure those auto open doors wouldn't survive long out here.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett