Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a good start for a list of components to a supercharging station. I am hoping someone could offer us a basic description of each step. We have:
  • Transformer
  • Distribution Cabinets
  • Supercharger Cabinets
  • Charging Stations ("stalls")
  • Then we have what is inside the vehicle itself. If I remember correctly, there is an actual "charger" built into the car, and of course, the battery.
What happened to Cottonwood?

I don't know what happened to Cottonwood but if you look at his account it has very few ratings and lots of posts suggesting he stopped posting just after the forum changed to the new software. It could be unrelated but given the timing I'd guess he didn't like the new software enough to give up TMC?

I don't know what happened to Cottonwood but if you look at his account it has very few ratings and lots of posts suggesting he stopped posting just after the forum changed to the new software. It could be unrelated but given the timing I'd guess he didn't like the new software enough to give up TMC?
Maybe he was using Tapatalk and can no longer connect?
<ducks>
;)

ABB has a power conditioning systems & power quality plant in New Berlin, WI (suburb of Milwaukee) where they kindly offer a 50kW DC quickcharger to the public at no cost. However, as the posters on PlugShare can attest, they have been unable to keep that charger functional. I realize it’s a sample size of 1, but if they can’t keep that one up it doesn’t install much confidence in ABB equipment.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Here is a non-engineer posing the question about why the power distribution cabinet is buried.

Could it be because of the extreme heat 8+ months of the year in Baker? The temperature in direct sunlight in July can be over 125 degrees. The ground is a fantastic insulator, so perhaps there will be a design around it to keep things much cooler (and provide access).

Again, be gentle if my question is off the charts. :)

Reactions: jvonbokel
I couldn't really get much in the dark, but here are a few.

IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1789.jpg

Jimmy Hoffa?

From the same church, different pew department, Whitey Bulger *was* just down the road from Culver City for decades. Living in plain sight, as it were in Santa Monica.

Meanwhile, while it’s hot in Baker, and we’re talking Gila Bend hot on occasion, I dunno that a vault (underground) is the best call for the SC equipment.

I defer to the infrastructure experts amongst us.

Reactions: GoTslaGo and otter
From the same church, different pew department, Whitey Bulger *was* just down the road from Culver City for decades. Living in plain sight, as it were in Santa Monica.

Meanwhile, while it’s hot in Baker, and we’re talking Gila Bend hot on occasion, I dunno that a vault (underground) is the best call for the SC equipment.

I defer to the infrastructure experts amongst us.
Useful pix. Thanks, @smak!

No infrastructure expert here, but I think I see above-ground power distribution cabinets in the most recent night shots. Anyone else guessing that those regularly spaced round concrete foundations (in line with the oblong charging bollard bases) are too close together and unusually hefty to be light pole foundations? My undereducated guess is overhead solar canopies similar to Kettleman City, which would not be a surprise.

I think the speculation about PV panels is likely accurate. Maybe a copy of Kettleman City? Desert temperatures, while significant, would not likely drive Black and Veatch to go subterranean with equipment. It leads to many maintenance issues related to water entry. Even well designed and built equipment often doesn't fare well in that configuration. You'd be surprised how much water can be found in underground vaults, even in very dry environments.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I think the speculation about PV panels is likely accurate. Maybe a copy of Kettleman City? Desert temperatures, while significant, would not likely drive Black and Veatch to go subterranean with equipment. It leads to many maintenance issues related to water entry. Even well designed and built equipment often doesn't fare well in that configuration. You'd be surprised how much water can be found in underground vaults, even in very dry environments.

I agree too. Looks like PV panel shading is being built. Makes sense for such a large site.