Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This location must get a lot of Chinese tour buses. They have menu in Chinese!! Lol

Baker has the best chargers and food options, but Yermo has a nice place to relax and clean Restroom.

was here earlier, about 7 Tesla charging but the map shows 50% of the stations in use.
I think part of it is all the strange parking ways people are doing. The literally take two parking spots to charging by driving through.
AB436D70-9472-4730-B5A9-031AE8C2D794.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ybbor
was here earlier, about 7 Tesla charging but the map shows 50% of the stations in use.
I think part of it is all the strange parking ways people are doing. The literally take two parking spots to charging by driving through.
That’s not how tesla determines whether the stall is in use. They can’t tell if a parking spot is occupied unless the charger is plugged into a vehicle.

Teslas supercharger live status is known to be erroneous at times.

Reactions: Bighorn
Baker has variety. BK, Arby’s, Jersey Mike, Mad Greek, etc. you can swing buy, get something and charge.
Okay so you are talking about the entire town of Baker then. In that case, I agree. But at the superchargers themselves, what Eddie World has to offer is far superior to the DQ and crappy gas station at the Baker supercharger. And then there is the crowding from tour buses (I saw this once myself).

The first time I supercharged in Baker, I was hoping to walk to the Mad Greek, but it isn't quite feasible unfortunately. The distance is borderline and then there is a bridge with little to no shoulder.

• Informative
Reactions: Misterbee
this station is weird. went to utah from socal this weekend, and on the way there and back, both times it said ~50% (20-22)/40 stalls in use. both times i was the only car in the entire station charging. not sure what's going on with this strange usage.

also strange that this place is a wasteland with no teslas compared to eddie world.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
this station is weird. went to utah from socal this weekend, and on the way there and back, both times it said ~50% (20-22)/40 stalls in use. both times i was the only car in the entire station charging. not sure what's going on with this strange usage.

also strange that this place is a wasteland with no teslas compared to eddie world.
Pretty common

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
I've been a squeaky wheel on the wasted resources of this 40-stall Supercharger for a couple years now. I've NEVER seen more than 5 cars here in the 10 or so times I've been through here (several, I was alone). But the nav always says it's half-full (fake news!).

I can only wonder what metric they used to arrive at putting so much money into this crappy location for a giant Supercharger. . .

I've been a squeaky wheel on the wasted resources of this 40-stall Supercharger for a couple years now. I've NEVER seen more than 5 cars here in the 10 or so times I've been through here (several, I was alone). But the nav always says it's half-full (fake news!).

I can only wonder what metric they used to arrive at putting so much money into this crappy location for a giant Supercharger. . .

The Las Vegas holiday weekends flood the I-15, it becomes a parking lot and all the DCFC capacity is used.

Well every other major route connecting LA or the Bay Area to another major city has experienced massive chokepoints in the last couple years, so maybe we should just be happy that this supercharger is here so that won't happen any time soon on the LA to Vegas route? IIRC, Barstow was actually the first major choke point on the supercharger network for long distance travel which is probably why they put in this 40-stall supercharger. An overreaction? Maybe. But it also could be that they weren't expecting to get a supercharger in Yermo when they started making the plans for Baker. Eddie World was a new gas station at the time and it's possible they were unaware that they were expanding there or that they would want a supercharger in their parking lot.

Lastly, once the pandemic is over, you should try driving from Vegas to LA on a Sunday evening and see how many stalls are in use along the route. It's quite possible that the extra stalls in Baker will come in handy at that time.

I have no doubt that Baker now - picks up the slack on that route, or it will be very soon. I stopped by here on my trip this past month - only cuz I wanted to see what at one time was the largest array of Superchargers. I didn't charge here because of Eddie World. But I had topped off a little in Mojave to make sure I wasn't crawling into Barstow, thus got to skip Barstow and enjoy Eddie World (despite Covid conditions). Wound up pretty much full at Eddie's in Yermo, so stopping at Baker was a drive by glance and a quick pickup at Arby's before on to Vegas. Went to LINQ in Vegas not planning to necessarily stay long. So connected to destination charger just in case I lingered in the 'neighborhood'. But lost interest, returned and finished with a Supercharger (only car there). Enough to continue to St George.
But Baker is probably a great location, especially on hot days cuz they have Solar Panels for shade.

BTW - shocked I could drive thru Vegas so quickly (on the strip and even down to Fremont St in no time at all.) At one point I could see 5-6 blocks ahead with no cars. 4:30 PM and Vegas had recently re-opened.

The Las Vegas holiday weekends flood the I-15, it becomes a parking lot and all the DCFC capacity is used.
This is exactly my experience. Yeah most of the times it is empty but during holiday travel I’ve seen lines at Baker before. I mean Vegas has multiple 40+ pump gas stations. If anything the current DCFC capacity along that corridor is insufficient for holiday rush.