Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped here on Monday. While we got a stall without delay, the lines for bathrooms and food were crazy. There's plenty of land nearby, hopefully more food options open up to help with holiday weekends.
Unlikely. The most famous landmark restaurant in Baker, Bun Boy, closed years ago. (That's where the "World's Tallest Thermometer stands now.) See The Mad Greek, another Baker landmark restaurant closed.

Can't make a go with just weekend/holiday traffic.

Good place for charging. Eats and restrooms? Not so much.

Unlikely. The most famous landmark restaurant in Baker, Bun Boy, closed years ago. (That's where the "World's Tallest Thermometer stands now.) See The Mad Greek, another Baker landmark restaurant closed.

Can't make a go with just weekend/holiday traffic.

Good place for charging. Eats and restrooms? Not so much.
From Yelp: The Mad Greek is temporarily closed. Scheduled to reopen on June 15, 2021

Hope Tesla can build a restroom there.

From Yelp: The Mad Greek is temporarily closed. Scheduled to reopen on June 15, 2021

Hope Tesla can build a restroom there.
I was just there this weekend on Saturday traveling from Bay Area to Vegas, the temperature was 117°F according to the World's Tallest Thermometer. There is a bathroom right at the Shell gas station next to the Supercharger which is very convenient. I bought some drinks and snacks to support their business for keeping the bathroom open. Interestingly saw a white Mach-E charging at the 8 stall ElectrifyAmerica station next to the Tesla SC station.

An observation while I was at the Baker Supercharger on Saturday on the way to Vegas. I noted there are two handles that were broken, one does not charge, the other one won't go into the port as the handles seem to have been abused, like dropping on the ground too many times.

I swing the broken handles over the top to indicate that they are not working. So I moved to a working handle a couple of stalls over. Then a Model Y pulls up to one of the broken stalls with the handle swing over the top. The driver got out and plug in, of course, didn't work. Instead of swing the handle back over the top of the stall he drops it on the ground. Why do people do that, such an ass move. I got out of my car and told the Y driver that the handle swings over the top mean it's broken. Didn't think he cares about the message, just look at me funny and got back into his car. I went over to the broken handle on the ground and swing it over the top again as the douche Y driver can't be bothered to do that.

An observation while I was at the Baker Supercharger on Saturday on the way to Vegas. I noted there are two handles that were broken, one does not charge, the other one won't go into the port as the handles seem to have been abused, like dropping on the ground too many times.

I swing the broken handles over the top to indicate that they are not working. So I moved to a working handle a couple of stalls over. Then a Model Y pulls up to one of the broken stalls with the handle swing over the top. The driver got out and plug in, of course, didn't work. Instead of swing the handle back over the top of the stall he drops it on the ground. Why do people do that, such an ass move. I got out of my car and told the Y driver that the handle swings over the top mean it's broken. Didn't think he cares about the message, just look at me funny and got back into his car. I went over to the broken handle on the ground and swing it over the top again as the douche Y driver can't be bothered to do that.
It would be nice if there was a better way to note that a post is broken. Hanging the handles over the top is one way of doing it, but leaves the handles susceptible to damage.

And geez - dropping it on the ground - definitely a <expletive> move. There's a lot of reasons a Supercharger post may not be functional - damaging the plug raises costs for everyone. The plugs are definitely wear items and need to be regularly replaced. But if a stall doesn't work at all, it's usually a problem in the cabinet.

I've been told by one of the Tesla techs that they don't like the handles to be swung over the top as it can cause further damage to the stall. I never liked this move either because it is often the case that a stall that won't work for one driver will work for another. In one case, I saw a driver swing it over the top because it was "slow." Anyone who follows these forums knows that many drivers simply don't understand why they are charging slowly and it often has nothing to do with the supercharger or the stall.

In your case the driver clearly did not understand what was meant by the handle being swung over the top (otherwise he wouldn't have parked there). He may or may not have understood what you were saying to him after he tried to charge there. So your frustration may be a bit misdirected.

I had a situation in Solvang, where a charger "kicked off" twice immediately after I got flashing green progress. Moved to the next one and it worked fine. Thought about slinging the cable over the top, then a car pulled in and it worked fine for them. So I see where it's a dilemma to save someone the hassle of pulling in finding out if it does or doesn't work.

I've been told by one of the Tesla techs that they don't like the handles to be swung over the top as it can cause further damage to the stall. I never liked this move either because it is often the case that a stall that won't work for one driver will work for another. In one case, I saw a driver swing it over the top because it was "slow." Anyone who follows these forums knows that many drivers simply don't understand why they are charging slowly and it often has nothing to do with the supercharger or the stall.

In your case the driver clearly did not understand what was meant by the handle being swung over the top (otherwise he wouldn't have parked there). He may or may not have understood what you were saying to him after he tried to charge there. So your frustration may be a bit misdirected.
Would be nice if they design these. Chargers with an indicator so people can flag it so other knows it is broken without hanging it over the charger.

TL;DR. Is this thing ever close to full? I’ve charged here and it was as empty as could be on a weekend evening. I also don’t remember hearing any of the KC or Tejon horror stories from this charger.
I have the same experience, though I do notice slow charging the last time I was there even if I am not sharing stalls and cool evening. Hopefully the creation of the 250KW chargers will solves this slow charging issues.

Reactions: 1100MCM
TL;DR. Is this thing ever close to full? I’ve charged here and it was as empty as could be on a weekend evening. I also don’t remember hearing any of the KC or Tejon horror stories from this charger.
Been there a dozen times. Never seen it completely full but close. Not a big deal as Yermo is not much further for me.

Given that Electrify is next door and ChargePoint DC is on the other end of that exit, there are plenty of options if you are in a pinch.

Be better if they build a lounge behind it instead. Lol 😂

Reactions: PLUS EV
The fleet is expanding rapidly and it's good to have mega-superchargers on well-traveled highway so there is always a stall available. Even if the amenities are poor or non-existent, finding food or a restroom elsewhere is a 5-10 minute delay, while not being able to find a charging spot can be a delay of hours.

In any case, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I stopped here once on a Sunday afternoon. Wife tried to go to the bathroom. Line was extremely long, ended up stopping in Primm instead. How about 56 stalls to go with the 56 chargers?

I'd be far more interested in them expanding the Barstow or Yermo chargers, either retrofit 250kW or more stalls or both. I know another Barstow charger was on the map scheduled for Q1 2022, I hope its 24 stalls in an area with some amenities.

The fleet is expanding rapidly and it's good to have mega-superchargers on well-traveled highway so there is always a stall available. Even if the amenities are poor or non-existent, finding food or a restroom elsewhere is a 5-10 minute delay, while not being able to find a charging spot can be a delay of hours.

In any case, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.
These mega charger locations are getting so big that they should be attracting a restaurant. You’d be full just from Tesla drivers.

The closest bathroom situation at this location is terrible, I believe it was 2 urinals and a stall on the Men's side. Imagine 100+ chargers including the Electrify America station and the gas station at the same location with these kind of facilities? Hopefully there is an improvement in the available amenities with such a large expansion. The Yermo charger is way smaller than this location and the convenience store is large and the bathroom facilities are top notch.