Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm completely baffled by this expansion. This was already not well located as far as amenities, or even geographically along this travel corridor. I have also never, ever, ever, ever either been at this Supercharger (5Xs there live) or when I check it on the nav (100s of times) seen this Supercharger close to full. 20ish stalls full was as full as it's ever been.

Baffling!
Took less than 5 hours to be proven wrong. Impeccable timing! :)

I was here on November 26, 2021. I didn't plan to make this stop, I was headed to Vegas and was planning to stop at Yermo. Yermo was full with a LONG line and, luckily, I was able to make it to Baker. Baker was about 25% full with about 10 people charging. About 8 of them were all parked next to each other, splitting their charging (people still don't know how V2 chargers work!?). I was very thankful that this charger wasn't packed.

I returned the next day on November 27 and it was about half full. This time, there were people backed in to the spots that you can drive straight into, meaning they were charging on the wrong side and their cars were hanging out in the middle of the aisle. It was about half full at that point. I was able to take advantage of free charging on this day though as I arrived before 10 a.m. and Tesla was running a free holiday charging promotion.

Tesla Energy setting up for a busy holiday weekend. I've never seen these battery trailers before with V3 equipment but there are two of these at Baker.

Attachments

• 20220524_111218.jpg
    20220524_111218.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 293
  • 20220524_111109.jpg
    20220524_111109.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 20220524_111114.jpg
    20220524_111114.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 185
Tesla Energy setting up for a busy holiday weekend. I've never seen these battery trailers before with V3 equipment but there are two of these at Baker.
I've seen these before the last time I was through maybe a month ago. Not sure if/when they're active (probably just super peak travel times when it's >80% full) but when I was there, it was maybe 90% full and they had opened these up as "temp stalls" in a back row on that unpaved area like in the picture, furthest away from the freeway. Looks like they're still in the same location. I didn't use them so no idea about the rate but guessing the usual ~70kw. A couple were out of order but was about 5 chargers per truck (didn't realize there were a couple on the other side of the truck too) and they were mostly being used.

That's less than 15 hours at max charging rate. But of course no one gets a continuous 250kW charge.

It can charge ~600 cars (probably more like 500 once you factor in losses and standby consumption) if the average energy added is 50 kWh per car. That’s a pretty good supplement to the network on peak travel days.

Hopefully the bathroom situation is better this time around