Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA - StackCharge (permit approved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Yet another Supercharger is coming soon to Baker, California!!

A new company called StackCharge is set to open its first rest area next year at 56383 Mojave Pointe Rd. The location will house 32 Pre-Assembled Supercharger stalls, 8 general fast chargers and a restaurant/retail area for travellers. There will be solar canopies above all charging stations.

Once complete, there will be a grand total of 128 Supercharger stalls in Baker.

EBE5AE9D-1681-4190-BFB0-222D8067DF1D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stack Charge

Pretty bare bones website but they are looking for investors

RT
Of course they are. This looks like a wanna be “entrepreneur” who only lacks money, a company, a real website, and a decent idea. Among other things, why would you locate in Baker which is already very well served with Tesla Superchargers?

Of course they are. This looks like a wanna be “entrepreneur” who only lacks money, a company, a real website, and a decent idea. Among other things, why would you locate in Baker which is already very well served with Tesla Superchargers?
Undercut Tesla's pricing and attract high value customers to the restaurant? In the non-ev world, people are always looking for who has the cheapest gas.

RT

if Tesla is allowing outside companies to use and install SuperChargers. Maybe this is how Tesla “opens” the network here in the US???
I looked through the article and their website, and couldn't find anywhere that would suggest this is any different to any other location where Tesla installs superchargers as part of a larger development. e.g. Eddie's World in Yermo, or Braintree Gridserve in the UK. The developer provides the space and Tesla installs the superchargers as they would anywhere else.

The only difference is that, in the render, the red parts of the superchargers are green.

Actually from looking at their website, it doesn't mention Tesla once. It's like they've just used Tesla-component shaped 3D elements to make a render.

Reactions: Big Earl
Allow me to express a little skepticism...what's the source for this StackCharge going to have Tesla Superchargers at their site? Is there anything more definitive than renderings on a barebones Web site?

Bruce.

I'm not seeing Tesla mentioned anywhere other than the driveteslacanada.ca article, but the renders and site plan do appear to be using 8x pre-fab V3 Supercharging setups. In the site plan they mention "Modular Charging: 32" and "Universal Charging: 8". At this point, aren't the only non-universal chargers Superchargers?

full.jpg

Reactions: mociaf9
Allow me to express a little skepticism...what's the source for this StackCharge going to have Tesla Superchargers at their site? Is there anything more definitive than renderings on a barebones Web site?

Bruce.
I'm in your camp, Bruce. Tesla has the original 40-stall Baker site. I understand they are expanding that site by 60 as well. Tesla owns the real estate there. With the 3 and Y capable of 250kW charging (and, I believe the new S and X in the highish 100s), most stops at V3 sites will be rather brief, certainly not nearly long enough to amble into a restaurant to have a 30-minute meal and refreshments. This is Baker after all. Barstow or Eddie's World is an hour down the highway; Vegas about 90 minutes. Primm is expanding while I type.

One year ago, my son and I stopped in Baker with my wife's Model 3. I think we arrived with about 15% from St. George. By the time we walked to the bathroom, grabbed some ice for our water bottles, and returned to the car, the charge level was nearing 50%. Less than five minutes later, we departed with ~60%--more than enough to reach Mojave in comfort.

I suppose--suppose--that if Tesla were to sell this budding entrepreneur these 32 V3 stations, Tesla would be on board since they would not be on the hook for maintenance, repair, and utility charges. But I really cannot see how this would pencil out for investors. Any income tax benefits would be strictly limited or even postponed indefinitely as this would be considered a passive investment under 469.

An ancillary concern would be that it is quite likely that the Greater Baker Metropolitan Area has a dearth of skilled restaurant workers. No one would be willing to plunk down $14.99 for a lousy lunch or more for dinner from essentially a short-order place.

IMO, it makes sense to make Baker a major charging hub. This new site is on the other side of town, spreading out the Tesla traffic and taking pressure off of everyone's favorite Dairy Queen bathrooms. This also provides five food options within walking distance, whereas the existing and expansion Baker locations only have two food options - three if you count IHOP across the street. Granted, it's all fast food, which makes an attractive case for having an on-site grab-and-go restaurant. Hopefully it's fresh sandwiches, salads and lighter, healthier fare than the aforementioned fast food shops.

Turning Baker into the main charging hub along I-15 gives travelers the option of skipping Primm, Yermo and Barstow. If you've ever traveled on a busy holiday weekend, you'll appreciate having more charging options and the ability to easily skip certain locations.

Undercut Tesla's pricing and attract high value customers to the restaurant? In the non-ev world, people are always looking for who has the cheapest gas.

RT
I don't believe the site owner determines the Supercharger per kWh
An ancillary concern would be that it is quite likely that the Greater Baker Metropolitan Area has a dearth of skilled restaurant workers. No one would be willing to plunk down $14.99 for a lousy lunch or more for dinner from essentially a short-order place.
That's not exactly a metropolitan area (pop. 735 in 2010), let alone having a "greater metropolitan" footprint.

Opinion: You don't want to have the Baker thermometer take your oral or rectal temperature.:eek:

It is the "Gateway to Death Valley," but I doubt that attracts much commerce that would serve those passing through (99% of vehicles).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
I suppose--suppose--that if Tesla were to sell this budding entrepreneur these 32 V3 stations, Tesla would be on board since they would not be on the hook for maintenance, repair, and utility charges.
I don't think there's any suggestion of Tesla doing this? It would just be Stackcharge providing a site, and Tesla installing the superchargers, as they always do.

I don't believe the site owner determines the Supercharger per kWh
I don't think there's any suggestion of Tesla doing this? It would just be Stackcharge providing a site, and Tesla installing the superchargers, as they always do.
It's possible that Tesla will be trialing a new business model here, i.e. as equipment provider as opposed to just leasing space and owning the charging station. That is how all the rest of the DCFC charging providers operate. If that is the case, then in addition to the supercharger hardware they would also sell them a maintenance and operations contract for Tesla to do the upkeep on the hardware and take care of the back-end stuff. The site owners would be able to set the price for charging and would be responsible for paying for the electrical service and the monthly electricity bill.

I doubt that this is actually the case, but this type of location would be the expected spot to see Tesla dipping their toes in the water. And, based on the available info, it can't be ruled out either.

Reactions: RubberToe
That's not exactly a metropolitan area (pop. 735 in 2010), let alone having a "greater metropolitan" footprint.
You thought that I was serious? Honestly? I've read enough trial briefs and other lawyerly outputs over the years, and frequently they are rife with sarcasm. Guess I need to find the sarcasm emoji next time.

I've spent quite a lot of time in and around Baker, so I knew exactly what I was writing. Besides, a real good clue was when I wrote that my son and I had been there just the year before.

Turning Baker into the main charging hub along I-15 gives travelers the option of skipping Primm, Yermo and Barstow.
But Tesla JUST opened TWO big nice new Superchargers in Barstow this week with room to grow.

I don't really pay attention to all this, cause CalTrans opened all those free CCS chargers on the way to Vegas in rest areas along this same corridor.