Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the other details for this site:

TESLA - 133KW INSTALL (1) QED SWITCHGEAR ASSEMBLY, INSTALL (1) UTILITY TRANSFORMER, INSTALL (1) INTERACTIVE INVERTER, INSTALL (1) PV SYSTEM DISCONNECT SWITCH, INSTALL (5) LITHIUM-ION POWER PACKS, INSTALL (1) DEDICATED PV SYSTEM KWH METER

So they are planning on putting 1MWh of battery storage on-site as well.

Ah, I was wondering about that. I had thought that a 40 stall site was going to need batteries, and looks like I was right. Otherwise the poor town of Baker would have brown outs if that SC site got even partially full!

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Even with 5 Powerpacks, the question in my mind is how big the utility transformer will be. Typical 8-12 stall sites without batteries have had 750kVA transformers.

For 10 stalls: 5 * 160kVA (rated max input per cabinet) = 800 kVA
For 40 stalls: 20 * 160kVA = 3,200 kVA

How big do they make 277Y480V transformers?

Even with 5 Powerpacks, the question in my mind is how big the utility transformer will be. Typical 8-12 stall sites without batteries have had 750kVA transformers.

For 10 stalls: 5 * 160kVA (rated max input per cabinet) = 800 kVA
For 40 stalls: 20 * 160kVA = 3,200 kVA

How big do they make 277Y480V transformers?
Could they just use two 800 kVA transformers?
One powers 10 cabinets and the other powers the other 10

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The PV meter is also interesting. It looks like Tesla will be beefing up their power supply with Solar and batteries to supplement Baker's rural electrical grid connection, which likely is not powerful enough for a 40 stall supercharging station.

INSTALL (5) LITHIUM-ION POWER PACKS, INSTALL (1) DEDICATED PV SYSTEM KWH METER

GSP

Could they just use two 800 kVA transformers?
One powers 10 cabinets and the other powers the other 10
Of course, but then they would have to divide the PowerPacks and PowerPack inverters between the two transformers. The other thing that occurred to me is that they could take service from SCE at distribution voltage and then they would have more flexibility in how they distribute the power among the equipment. I don't think they've done this anywhere yet because they didn't own the land. I think Kettleman is the first site where they purchased land just for a Supercharger site. The permits for Baker show another land owner.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Of course, but then they would have to divide the PowerPacks and PowerPack inverters between the two transformers. The other thing that occurred to me is that they could take service from SCE at distribution voltage and then they would have more flexibility in how they distribute the power among the equipment. I don't think they've done this anywhere yet because they didn't own the land. I think Kettleman is the first site where they purchased land just for a Supercharger site. The permits for Baker show another land owner.
Also wonder why they're only installing 5 power packs (1 mWh capacity?)
Ten empty 100D teslas would drain it quick. And since they're installing 40 stalls it means they're expecting a lot of traffic.

Reactions: David99
Ten empty 100D teslas would drain it quick. And since they're installing 40 stalls it means they're expecting a lot of traffic.
The Powerpacks are for peak shaving. Most of the demand is satisfied from the grid, but when a car first plugs in and is pulling 90+kW they may take 25kW from the Powerpack until it tapers down below 75kW. After that, recharge the battery as it tapers even lower, so the max net grid draw for a cabinet is 75kW, just as an example. Of course, they're managing power on a site basis, not a cabinet basis.

Powerpacks are 100kWh each.

As @miimura noted they could be used for peak shaving, or load balancing. I think it is a very encouraging sign that Tesla will be starting to install Powerpacks at Supercharger sites.

Now they need to cover the entire Baker site with panels.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Powerpacks are 100kWh each.

As @miimura noted they could be used for peak shaving, or load balancing. I think it is a very encouraging sign that Tesla will be starting to install Powerpacks at Supercharger sites.

Now they need to cover the entire Baker site with panels.
Actually, PowerPack 2.0 was updated with 2170 cells and is now 210kWh per cabinet.
Tesla Powerpack

I'll take any supercharger at any location. Period. It's all good!

You say that now...

DJI_0009.JPG