Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When talking about Supercharger construction timeframes, there is no such thing as "usually". Some aspects are outside of Teslas control. Each site is different.

DO NOT count on using this site for future trips. There are alternatives.

It's more of an excitement to see something of that size going in somewhat near me but no I don't need to rely on that one to make it there.

Hello from the Barstow Supercharger.

Apologies for the quality of the photos from Baker. Stopped by today on my way home from Vegas.

More than happy to try to explain things more once I get home. Large square to the side of the DQ and then some trenching across a first road behind the DQ.

Would have posted more if I knew there were not others posted yet.
View attachment 248018 View attachment 248019 View attachment 248020 View attachment 248021 View attachment 248022 View attachment 248023 View attachment 248024 View attachment 248025
Thank you very much for the pics, I'll share your post on Talking Tesla next week, sharing the pics with Mel and Tom today. So exciting!

I took a few pics while driving by yesterday, looks like there are 3 trenches, and about 20 boxes that look like other Tesla superchargers to me. Here are a few.

This is a second area under construction next to where the boxes are at.

Next to the current transformer

Idk if that transformer is up to the job so I assume that's why there is a bigger hole there, besides obviously to hook everything up to something.

Well I hope I took enough for you.

I took a few pics while driving by yesterday, looks like there are 3 trenches, and about 20 boxes that look like other Tesla superchargers to me. Here are a few.

This is a second area under construction next to where the boxes are at.

Next to the current transformer

Idk if that transformer is up to the job so I assume that's why there is a bigger hole there, besides obviously to hook everything up to something.

Well I hope I took enough for you.

That's not a transformer, but a padmounted "medium voltage" electric distribution switch. From the decals on the cabinet, it looks like it is on the SoCal Edison system, as one would expect in this area.

Reactions: vdiv
All the Tesla logos are painted over on those supercharger crates, so this couldn't be a Tesla supercharger site! They must be doing something... completely different and secret! That's it! shhh! don't tell!
Perhaps they are trying to prevent theft of their equipment...

That is one large site. Would love to see some drone footage in a few weeks.Just a little to far for me to drive just for that.

Perhaps they are trying to prevent theft of their equipment...

That is one large site. Would love to see some drone footage in a few weeks.Just a little to far for me to drive just for that.

Sorry... don't have a drone :/. It's a large site though, 40 cars at a time will be interesting, doable but it might be kind of tight. I think/hope that there are a few spots for cars towing trailers to charge.

Reactions: ohmman
Today (03OCT) in Baker, CA ...
9146AB4E-8C91-4367-A13A-64635951E117.jpeg

That's a big box! Any ideas on what it does?
Actually, I second that question. What components go underground at one location and not another? Does this prevent theft in any way?
I took advanced electrical courses at Johns Hopkins, but that was 30 years ago and I forgot everything, but sure I can catch up with a good debriefing. I am wondering if, somewhere buried in this forum, there is an explanation of how supercharging works from an electrical standpoint. Something like "Supercharging Process for Dummies". How does the power flow from the grid all the way to the car? What happens in the cabinet, transformer, stall, vehicle, etc. How do sites with batteries and solar incorporate this? Perhaps one of the advance users here can point us to a breakdown of this?

Actually, I second that question. What components go underground at one location and not another? Does this prevent theft in any way?
I took advanced electrical courses at Johns Hopkins, but that was 30 years ago and I forgot everything, but sure I can catch up with a good debriefing. I am wondering if, somewhere buried in this forum, there is an explanation of how supercharging works from an electrical standpoint. Something like "Supercharging Process for Dummies". How does the power flow from the grid all the way to the car? What happens in the cabinet, transformer, stall, vehicle, etc. How do sites with batteries and solar incorporate this? Perhaps one of the advance users here can point us to a breakdown of this?
I am pretty sure that Cottonwood could explain that. Too bad that he does not post here any more. I enjoyed his commentary.
Supercharger - Newburgh, NY

I am pretty sure that Cottonwood could explain that. Too bad that he does not post here any more. I enjoyed his commentary.
Supercharger - Newburgh, NY
That is a good start for a list of components to a supercharging station. I am hoping someone could offer us a basic description of each step. We have:
  • Transformer
  • Distribution Cabinets
  • Supercharger Cabinets
  • Charging Stations ("stalls")
  • Then we have what is inside the vehicle itself. If I remember correctly, there is an actual "charger" built into the car, and of course, the battery.
What happened to Cottonwood?