Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, Baker is good for those who are bypassing Vegas and do not wish to Supercharge there if their battery is large enough to make it to or from the St. George Supercharger. It is also much faster exiting and returning to Interstate 15 at Baker than it would be at either of the Las Vegas locations.
Another point is that traveling families may often find themselves stopping at Baker out of necessity, for bathrooms and/or food. There just aren't many places to stop along I-15 in the desert. As long as you have to stop anyway, you might as well be Supercharging. Much better than having to make an extra stop.

Aside from that, Baker will make it significantly easier for us to take our Model S on camping trips to Death Valley and the Mojave Preserve.

Another point is that traveling families may often find themselves stopping at Baker out of necessity, for bathrooms and/or food. There just aren't many places to stop along I-15 in the desert. As long as you have to stop anyway, you might as well be Supercharging. Much better than having to make an extra stop.

Aside from that, Baker will make it significantly easier for us to take our Model S on camping trips to Death Valley and the Mojave Preserve.

Plus, it is just a stone's throw from the hallowed grounds of the late self-proclaimed Reverend Curtis H. Springer, founder and mountebank of the Zzyzx Hot Springs Resort. The property is now a desert research facility between Cal State San Bernardino and UC Riverside, if my dim memory is correct.

My father-in-law was fan of Springer and my wife knew of several who took the “cure” and nearly died. Harvey was an interesting character who squared on public land, developed a truly rustic (understatement) resort?? and his development was taken over by the government. Kook who was crazy like a fox. He coined the name Zzyzx. Expert in fleecing the flock.

Zzyzx Hot Springs Resort. The property is now a desert research facility between Cal State San Bernardino and UC Riverside, if my dim memory is correct.

It's administered for a CSU consortium by CSU Fullerton where I worked for 42 years. See this from the relevant web site: Established in 1976 under a cooperative agreement with the Bureau of Land Management, the Center is operated for the CSU by the California Desert Studies Consortium, an organization of seven southern California CSU campuses: Dominguez Hills, Fullerton, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Northridge, Pomona and San Bernardino. UC is not involved. Got to fly my Titan colors!!

I'm here now, i didn't expect it to work and it doesn't. The meter is missing. There are 5 powerpacks at 174kw each. Here's a pics.
IMG_20171119_115948806~01.jpg

Plus, it is just a stone's throw from the hallowed grounds of the late self-proclaimed Reverend Curtis H. Springer, founder and mountebank of the Zzyzx Hot Springs Resort. The property is now a desert research facility between Cal State San Bernardino and UC Riverside, if my dim memory is correct.

I learn the most interesting things on this forum :). Got me to look him/it up. Definitely will remember this place if passing by Baker.

It's administered for a CSU consortium by CSU Fullerton where I worked for 42 years. See this from the relevant web site: Established in 1976 under a cooperative agreement with the Bureau of Land Management, the Center is operated for the CSU by the California Desert Studies Consortium, an organization of seven southern California CSU campuses: Dominguez Hills, Fullerton, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Northridge, Pomona and San Bernardino. UC is not involved. Got to fly my Titan colors!!

Thanks, Ed. I knew that there was some sort of joint venture with California campuses. I was mistaken (or I had forgotten) that all the campuses were CSU and nary a UC was involved.

The story on how the government was finally able to pry this real estate away from Springer (in the late '60s if I recall) was fascinating.

My father-in-law was fan of Springer and my wife knew of several who took the “cure” and nearly died. Harvey was an interesting character who squared on public land, developed a truly rustic (understatement) resort?? and his development was taken over by the government. Kook who was crazy like a fox. He coined the name Zzyzx. Expert in fleecing the flock.

Yeah, I have had a fascination since I was a boy with the seamy underbelly of charlatans, grifters, flim-flammers, swindlers, and other sundry unscrupulous types who can separate decent people from their money. He was quite good. He even had a radio program for many years.

We "detoured" out there maybe 18 months or so ago just to check it out. Even though there appeared to be nobody in sight, we stopped and turned around at the sign that says words to the effect of "if you don't have official Cal-state business here, GTFO.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
I'm here now, i didn't expect it to work and it doesn't. The meter is missing. There are 5 powerpacks at 174kw each. Here's a pics.View attachment 261417

That line says "battery energy" so that is 174 kWh not kW.

Also interesting that it doesn't meet the 210 kWh listed at Tesla Powerpack

The picture shows 2 HR near the top, maybe there is a different version for full rating.

Last edited: