Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by here yesterday at 5pm. 0/40 in use and the bathrooms were filthy. Definitely no lounge in Baker!
That is what I thought. Whoever wrote that sentence in the Q4 2017 earning report wasn’t paying attention. Doesn’t anyone proof read those reports?

Maybe a lounge at Baker is planned for this year. That would be cool.

Reactions: OCRyan
That is what I thought. Whoever wrote that sentence in the Q4 2017 earning report wasn’t paying attention. Doesn’t anyone proof read those reports?

Maybe a lounge at Baker is planned for this year. That would be cool.

Maybe the same person proofreads the earnings reports that also tests the navigation and trip planning software for general release.

I stopped here over the weekend heading back to SD from LV. There was a car-wreck ahead that I could see on GPS and I figured 30 mins to top off might help me wait it out and I could leave full and get all the way to Temecula. Enjoyed this little road trip stop a lot! And there is mad potential here. . . Lots of people were stopping over for this and that. . . And there's a handful of vacancies around that the right restaurants could really take advantage of. I hadn't had breakfast yet so I decided to head to the Mexican dump that's a 5-7 min stroll to north of the Supercharger. Turned out to be one of the best Mexican dumps I've ever been do - and I've been to hundreds. Get the Carnitas Verdes and you're in for a really good one. Wondering back to the Supercharger, I decided I'd treat myself to an ice cream cone at DQ. Until it was $5! Was that a misprint?!?! Once back underway, most of the car-wreck had been cleared up and it was smooth sailing from there on through. Maybe 3-5 of us were charging on the 40 stalls over the course of my stay. It'll be a long time before this Supercharger gets in a position where anyone at anytime can't immediately charge. For future LV road trips, this is the place to stop in each direction just for the Carnitas alone!

I had my first visit here (to the Supercharger that is) on Monday 5/21/18, around 3 in the afternoon. One Model 3 was already there, so I had a choice of 39 stations. Never before have I had a charge where I was confident that I was loading up on glorious sunlight. Barstow, for instance, has a modest solar array, but I'll bet that almost all of their kWh are bought off the grid.

The Dairy Queen's prices are higher than most, but that's forgivable IMHO given their remote location. The restrooms were in acceptable condition, but it's no comparison to the first-class loos at Eddie's World in Yermo. If nature is calling, hold it if you can and make for Yermo.

While I was in Baker the day's third busload of tourists from China stopped for a stretch and an ice cream. My Model S was a subject of great curiosity and had its picture taken a lot. If you hadn't seen a big "charger farm" like Baker's before, it must be a strange sight.

I asked the clerk at the DQ if they had Chinese language menus. He said that was a really good idea but said that most of the visitors just point to the menu. I'll bet DQ corporate could provide translated menus if they asked.

I've been thinking recently about this supercharger. I visited/charged there a couple months back and was pretty much the only one there. Since then, I quickly query its usage on my GPS several times a week. NEVER have I seen more than 5 cars at this thing. Most of the time there's 1-2 cars on it. Sometimes none. Meanwhile, LA/OC/SD/SF superchargers are getting absolutely hammered day in and day out (I browse the region during the same Baker query on the GPS).

I applaud Tesla for building this massive Supercharger farm on what is and will always be a heavily road-tripped corridor. However, I think the elephant in the room is that this thing will never really be used upwards of its capacity anytime in the foreseeable future.

With many Superchargers running so hard in the region and this one sitting 95% unused on a 24 hour basis - wasn't this a huge miscalculation of resources by Tesla? If they'd have put, say, 10 bays here - doesn't that say Tesla could have possibly opened 2 other destinations (of 10-15 bays each) where they'd be a heck of a lot more utilized and make us owners a lot happier? What don't I understand about the motivation to build this particular, foreseeably underutilized, Supercharger?

What is your theory on why it's underutilized? As you said it is on a heavily traveled corridor.

Before it was built I thought it would be heavily used being right on I-15 between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

Hmmm .. OP back in the days Barstow was like SJC ..I’m glad for this station and yermo makes Vegas runs easy now can with primm and south strip plenty of options ..I use this station all the time I have seen up to 15+ cars on busy Vegas weekends

Remember the pictures from Tejon Ranch a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving/Christmas, with the long queue of waiting cars? A bit of a PR fail (at the time, although mild in comparison to the stuff the stock shorting press publishes now). Tesla wants to avoid that happening again. The network needs to be able to handle peak demand. Also remember another occasion when there was vandalism at another station on the route - which brought a SC down at a similar high demand time.

And the other side of the equation - when it's not busy - look all that solar, with minimal load - maybe this location is effectively a net exporter of energy most of the time?

Reactions: KJD and P85_DA
Just because they put in 40 stalls here doesn’t mean that took away any stalls or superchargers from other locations.
I’m sure it probably cost them very little to build 40 stalls over 10 stalls, in which case why not go with 40? Why not future proof it?