Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like SCE is doing repairs now.
outage.png

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
Looks like reporting has gotten back to correct. I was by Baker last week and it reported 39 of 40 available on the way to Las Vegas. I had filled up at Barstow so a stop made no sense anyway. On the way home, reporting said 38 of 40 available. I blew by it anyway (left Las Vegas full b/c had destination charging).

This is a lousy location to have 40 stalls! Hurmph!

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
I would not yet cast my aspersions at Tesla for placing a 40-stall SC in beautiful downtown Baker just yet, JohnnyLounge2! :)

It has only been open since (I believe) November 2017, and the Model 3 had not been delivered in any quantities as yet. We both agree that there is nothing to do here but wait for our cars to charge, or perhaps amble on over to the DQ for a bathroom visit and/or something to eat or drink. Barstow (Chili's) and Yermo (Fast Eddie's) are much better. Plus, from late March through mid November it is hot, hotter, and hottest in the desert.

I will be curious to see how busy Baker will be during the holidays this year. There will be many thousands more Teslas on the road. In years past, Barstow has been a choke point over Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas/New Years. The navigation system may very well direct some people to Baker during periods of high utilization further south, especially as Tesla is expanding the network in the Inland Empire.

But it certainly looks extremely underutilized these days. Kettleman City does not receive a lot of use in relationship to its 40-stalls, either.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and KJD
Looks like reporting has gotten back to correct. I was by Baker last week and it reported 39 of 40 available on the way to Las Vegas. I had filled up at Barstow so a stop made no sense anyway. On the way home, reporting said 38 of 40 available. I blew by it anyway (left Las Vegas full b/c had destination charging).

This is a lousy location to have 40 stalls! Hurmph!

I wouldn't say it is a lousy location. I would hope the distance that it is placed help offset barstow and primm usage. Those with smaller battery would be able to use barstow and primm, while those with a larger battery can easily skip these locations and do one stop at Bake or Yermo.

What I do see unfortunate is the fact the other location has the full-blown Tesla lounge experience, while Bake has just the large 40 stalls. Nevertheless, it is welcomed. Especially driving to Vegas is a popular route.

Reactions: GSP
I remember the days of Barstow queue being 6-8 cars deep,

Now with Yermo and Baker, this hopefully won't be an issue (especially during busy Vegas weekends like 4th July/Thanksgiving/CES/etc)

The DQ is pretty average, their Aircon doesn't usually even keep up with the heat, just making it a humid mess inside. Whereas Eddieworld at Yermo is so awesome!

Reactions: FreqFlier
OK people it is now Thanksgiving week 2018. How many stalls do we have empty out of the 40 available here ?

Lets hear on site reports.

How many in use ?

How many empty ?

Last edited:
Is there anything to do or eat here? DQ doesn’t count. I’m going to Vegas and need to stop somewhere. Debating where.
Baker is super awesome as a charging stop (chargers are always available, which is wonderful between L.A. and Las Vegas), but it's sorely deficient in the food, shopping, and restroom department. The DQ and a couple pricey convenience stores are close at hand, but that's it.

It's a half mile walk (10-15 minutes) to the Mad Greek Cafe, which is very good IMHO, but it's definitely not a pedestrian-friendly road. So my advice is get Mad Greek carryout and picnic in your car. There's actually a Mad Greek Grill app which a passenger could use to get your order started before you arrive.

For restroom facilities, the next Supercharger in either direction along I-15 (north to Primm or south to Yermo) are the way to go (pun intended).

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude and GSP
Generally agree with FreqFlier on this one. When this was being built, I was hoping to go to the Mad Greek while charging, but it isn't quite walkable, partly because it's just a little too far and mostly because the road isn't pedestrian friendly. There's a bridge over a culvert or something with no space to walk.

While I do LOVE that there is a 40-stall supercharger on the LA to Vegas route, Baker would never be my first choice to stop. I have grown to enjoy the stop in Yermo as the Eddie World food court offers quite a few options and the area in the back with the tables is a decent place to hang out and watch the traffic go by on I-15. Las Vegas south is also a pretty good stop if you need to charge when you arrive or want to charge before you leave Vegas. Barstow isn't my cup of tea but others on the forum seem to like it. Primm is okay in my opinion. Baker is the one I would avoid unless it is a busy travel day, in which case I'd stop there rather than wait in line or contribute to congestion problems elsewhere. I don't think we've seen congestion on this route since Barstow expanded, but there will be a day soon when all the superchargers other than Baker are full in my opinion.

Lastly, I noticed something rather unfortunate at Baker when I was there a few days ago. At first I thought that Tesla owners had been complete slobs as there was trash strewn about everywhere, but after some observation, I noticed that the local crows had become quite adept at picking through the trash. Their primary method seemed to be sticking their beaks in the trash can, pulling stuff out and then picking through it on the ground. It is a windy place so at that point it doesn't take long for all the trash to blow all over the place. They really need to install garbage cans with lids there.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
Thanks for the inputs. I think bill try Barstow then Yermo and if both are full then I’ll stop at Baker.

My concern is with the south Vegas being full. I’m thinking I’ll need a charge before heading back to Los Angeles. Unless I can make it to primm on the way back?

Thanks for the inputs. I think bill try Barstow then Yermo and if both are full then I’ll stop at Baker.

My concern is with the south Vegas being full. I’m thinking I’ll need a charge before heading back to Los Angeles. Unless I can make it to primm on the way back?

Don't even bother with Barstow. Go straight to Eddie World in Yermo.

South Vegas does get full a lot, but remember there is still downtown. Primm is a straight shot of less than 40 miles from Vegas.

Reactions: IdaX and PLUS EV
Don't even bother with Barstow. Go straight to Eddie World in Yermo.

South Vegas does get full a lot, but remember there is still downtown. Primm is a straight shot of less than 40 miles from Vegas.
I too think Yermo is vastly superior to Barstow. It's also an easier on/off the freeway.

I suspect a lot of the people who like to stop at Barstow just do it out of habit. For a long time it was the only option on the LA to Vegas route.