Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA (I-5 / Stockdale Hwy, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strangely, I was told the nav software already did this by the sales rep that sold me my car. Now that I own the car, I've never seen this in action and don't believe it's a current capability. Hopefully with 8.0 it'll become a reality. Even if it's only basic information that would allow an informed decision to let the driver manually load balance by making a decision which SC to stop at while enroute...
To my understanding the trip planner feature chooses the Superchargers along the route based on the current traffic conditions and availability at the Superchargers. That data is not currently visible to users but it was hinted at by Elon that such a feature would be coming "soon"

Non-local here so please tell me to STFU if I have no idea what I'm talking about - I notice supercharge.info (ping @BlueShift) refers to this as Bakersfield. Shouldn't it be Buttonwillow-2 if anything? I guess we won't know until it goes into service on the official Tesla site.

The address is in Bakersfield and the name is taken from the postal address.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Non-local here so please tell me to STFU if I have no idea what I'm talking about - I notice supercharge.info (ping @BlueShift) refers to this as Bakersfield. Shouldn't it be Buttonwillow-2 if anything? I guess we won't know until it goes into service on the official Tesla site.
When this new location opens Tesla will give it an "official" name, supercharge.info may have adopted that name simply based on the postal address.

Since the location is several miles outside the Bakersfield city limits (see Bakersfield, California :: Boundary Map of Bakersfield, California) and it seems certain that at some point in the future Tesla will place a Supercharger much closer to Bakersfield proper, I am not going to change the thread title yet. I doubt Tesla is going to call this new location the "Bakersfield Supercharger", that would be confusing since Bakersfield is on the Hwy 99 route and this new location is on the I5 route, many miles distant from downtown Bakersfield.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Chuq
When this new location opens Tesla will give it an "official" name, supercharge.info may have adopted that name simply based on the postal address.

Since the location is several miles outside the Bakersfield city limits (see Bakersfield, California :: Boundary Map of Bakersfield, California) and it seems certain that at some point in the future Tesla will place a Supercharger much closer to Bakersfield proper, I am not going to change the thread title yet. I doubt Tesla is going to call this new location the "Bakersfield Supercharger", that would be confusing since Bakersfield is on the Hwy 99 route and this new location is on the I5 route, many miles distant from downtown Bakersfield.

A hotel nearby is referred to as "Buttonwillow", but hotels do that.
Very few Superchargers have names different from the postal city.
The Bakersfield permit office controls it, if the permit search site is to be believed.
The postal city is Bakersfield.
Bakersfield's by far the largest municipality in the area.
The site's not in another incorporated location.
The intersection from the Supercharger site appears to be on the fastest route to Bakersfield from the North and West.

Bakersfield I-5 or Bakersfield West would be the most logical names.

The Gardnerville, Nevada Supercharger is actually at Topaz Lake, Nevada, more than 20 miles away. But Tesla's name for it is Gardnerville. I believe we discussed this fact when it was under construction, and we concluded that the postal address is Gardnerville.

When I first saw the "Bakersfield" location on Blue Shift's page, I was elated because from my house to Mojave is about 220 range miles. So, I thought, Bakersfield would be better when I head east. I could charge in Bako for 20 minutes and skip Mojave on my way east.

Alas, this location is not on 99. Boo hoo!:oops:

I propose that Tesla rename this Supercharger to Bakersfield - 5, and name the putative Supercharger in Bakersfield proper that will be proximate to 99 as Bakersfield - 99.

I live in Merced and until Fresno went up, I had to drive super slow and careful to make it to Tejon, so Fresno at least provided me an option to stop for 10 minutes but it wasn't optimal as I'd leave the house at 100% and drive 60 miles to Fresno and charge for a few minutes.

Fresno was optimal, though, for me coming back from So Cal because charging at Tejon to 80% is NOT ENOUGH for me to get home to Merced so I'd have to detour to Harris ranch which was a real PITA.

Now I'll have SCs at optimal locations going to and from So Cal.

Reactions: callmesam
Interesting that 10 stalls (5 chargers) + 1 stationary storage unit is listed at $150k. That seems pretty good if it includes storage. I wonder if 1 stationary storage unit is a 100kWh Powerpack, or one of the larger clusters of 400kWh like at Gilroy Supercharger.

This new SC doesn't change much as far as opening up new routes. Seems like your optimal location would be on 99 between Visalia/Tulare and Bakersfield. This Baks-Stockdale SC just adds capacity to I-5 and offloads Buttonwillow.

The optimal location for me is the one that gets me as far as possible from my home starting at 100 percent without actually running out of battery. The Bakersfield location gets me there with 11% battery remaining according to evtripplanner but since I always do just a little bit better than evtripplanner so it's more like 15%. I couldn't pick a more optimal first charging stop.

Tulare would get me there with 56% left on the battery. I'd rather drive slower and make it all the way to Tejon than have to stop in Tulare and deal with a slow charge ramp. But Tejon is a bit stressful and I have to be really careful to make it there on one charge.

Having more superchargers around Bakersfield will be convenient when I visit my sister, but she lives east of Oildale, I'd prefer to see a supercharger around the Bakersfield airport and 99, but more superchargers are a good thing.

The Stockdale Highway area is unincorporated Bakersfield. It's also one of the richer neighborhoods, though most of the people living out there are well paid oil business professionals. Tesla may be giving Bakersfield some attention because it is very underbuilt in EV infrastructure there is poorly built out. I note on plugshare Visalia has a higher concentration of charging locations than Bakersfield.

I do wish the Northwest would get some extra love. Highway 101 on the coast is getting a string of superchargers, but inland Washington and Oregon have very few and there are still a lot of places you can't get to without using AC chargers.

I do wish the Northwest would get some extra love. Highway 101 on the coast is getting a string of superchargers, but inland Washington and Oregon have very few and there are still a lot of places you can't get to without using AC chargers.

Let me add my support for Road Kill Grill's plea for NW support. WA is an early Tesla adopt state, probably #2 'back in the day', yet we only have 5 superchargers in the entire state. And Central OR needs it even more!

Pictures from a FB group posted on 8-17-16
14068306_10208235762585702_9117784707800361227_n.jpg
14022276_10208235761985687_8578614118832126517_n.jpg

Attachments

• 14034873_10208235761825683_6256056652750480963_n.jpg
    14034873_10208235761825683_6256056652750480963_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95