Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA (I-5 / Stockdale Hwy, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that as well, but if this station is indeed to use Solar+Battery, it could make a lot of sense long term.

I could see Tesla's running costs being near zero this way, and if that works out they might shut down non-solar stations like Buttonwillow for substantial cost savings.

We all know how expensive electricity is in Cali . . .

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
The 5 through the Central Valley is easily the most traveled supercharger route in the country. Tejon is obviously capped. Burbank is a disaster. Hundreds of thousands of model 3s are coming.

It makes sense now and in the future.

Agreed. I expect you'll see a few more stations along the route as well. I've been sort of surprised there hasn't been anything added between Dublin and Harris Ranch yet...

Jeff

Kinda strange they put one here. It is about 2.5 miles from Buttonwillow and about 12 miles from Tehon Ranch!

If you look at the supercharger map Tesla is doubling up supercharger locations on the I-5 and I-80 routes. There are several that are close together. I think this is for reliability redundancy. If superchargers are a few miles apart, they will be on different grid circuits, so a local power outage will leave the next station down the road operational.

I thought that as well, but if this station is indeed to use Solar+Battery, it could make a lot of sense long term.

I could see Tesla's running costs being near zero this way, and if that works out they might shut down non-solar stations like Buttonwillow for substantial cost savings.

We all know how expensive electricity is in Cali . . .

They may put in solar at the Stockdale SC, but I doubt it could support all the traffic on a holiday weekend. However, they could sell the excess back to the grid which would help offset when they need to draw from the grid.

"I doubt it could support all the traffic on a holiday weekend"

That is not the intention of batteries and solar... the intention is to better manage the electricity cost.

And there is a nice synergy... on weekend SC usage is high while industrial electricity usage is low - during the week it is just the reverse.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Anyone seen any indication of the Nav system connecting to the mothership to determine which of the three SCs is the least crowded and auto steers you to the one with open stalls? I was told this feature already exists but I've never seen it in action.

For me traveling up the I-5 it keeps telling me to pull into Burbank. This makes no sense as I know there is always a wait in Burbank and I can easily make it over the mountains to now charge at one of these three SCs near Bakersfield.

Anyone seen any indication of the Nav system connecting to the mothership to determine which of the three SCs is the least crowded and auto steers you to the one with open stalls? I was told this feature already exists but I've never seen it in action.
I do not know who told such a "feature already exists", but they were wrong. It absolutely does not exist in any vehicle Tesla has ever sold to the public. As to whether or not Tesla is currently testing such a feature, I have no idea. But it has been extensively discussed on TMC for a few years now.

For me traveling up the I-5 it keeps telling me to pull into Burbank. This makes no sense as I know there is always a wait in Burbank and I can easily make it over the mountains to now charge at one of these three SCs near Bakersfield.

I don't ever use the full trip planner functionality. I always know what charger I'm going for, so I'll navigate directly to each one and pick 'removing charging stops' to keep the car from giving me stupid suggestions. I manage my own reserve and work my own contingencies.

I'm generally all for collecting data so tesla might more effectively target areas for improvement, but when my car tries to route me to Arastradero from the 5, or u-turn me to go back to Harris ranch (or whatever) I can no longer effectively manage my trip and can actually get into real trouble...exactly the opposite of what trip planner is supposed to do.

Reactions: PLUS EV
I do not know who told such a "feature already exists", but they were wrong. It absolutely does not exist in any vehicle Tesla has ever sold to the public. As to whether or not Tesla is currently testing such a feature, I have no idea. But it has been extensively discussed on TMC for a few years now.

Oh just the salesman that sold me my car at the local Tesla Store. Same guy who swore my car would do the 1/4 mile in 10.9.