Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA (I-5 / Stockdale Hwy, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wait a minute ... this actually isn't in Bakersfield
Well, technically I think it is. Address is:

29541 Stockdale Hwy
Bakersfield, CA 93314

However the city is really centered around Hwy 99 and Hwy 58 and from a practical point of view this Supercharger location is not "in" Bakersfield. It is certainly well off Hwy 99.

Which is why earlier in this thread when there was speculation about what name Tesla would give this location I expressed doubt that it would be called the "Bakersfield Supercharger". But that is what Tesla is calling it. There choice, but I think it is confusing. On the other hand, if you call it the "Stockdale Supercharger" no one except the locals would know what that means. There is no town call Stockdale, and in fact there are no towns anywhere near this location.

Reactions: Owner
They should improve the name.
Well, technically I think it is [in Bakersfield]. Address is:

29541 Stockdale Hwy
Bakersfield, CA 93314

However the city is really centered around Hwy 99 and Hwy 58 and from a practical point of view this Supercharger location is not "in" Bakersfield. It is certainly well off Hwy 99.

Which is why earlier in this thread when there was speculation about what name Tesla would give this location I expressed doubt that it would be called the "Bakersfield Supercharger". But that is what Tesla is calling it. There choice, but I think it is confusing. On the other hand, if you call it the "Stockdale Supercharger" no one except the locals would know what that means. There is no town call Stockdale, and in fact there are no towns anywhere near this location.
All it has to be is an improvement. Anything to let drivers know it's not on CA-99. I'm not partial to anything beyond that.

Such as:
I-5 Bakersfield
West of Bakersfield
Stockdale Bakersfield
Near Buttonwillow Stockdale Bakersfield
Stcokdale West of Bakersfield near to Buttonwillow

(I like the last one the most. Everyone will understand that.). If alphabetical order matters, throw the neighborhood name in front (somehow). Perfect name.

I think there is lots of room for improvement over the name "Bakersfield", which is a CA-99 city, and being possibly stranded in the middle of nowhere driving for a long time because of bad naming just isn't ok. Come on Tesla, don't be stupid. We already had enough of that for the last half century.

Damn!
All it has to be is an improvement. Anything to let drivers know it's not on CA-99. I'm not partial to anything beyond that.

Such as:
I-5 Bakersfield
West of Bakersfield
Stockdale Bakersfield
Near Buttonwillow Stockdale Bakersfield
Stcokdale West of Bakersfield near to Buttonwillow

(I like the last one the most. Everyone will understand that.). If alphabetical order matters, throw the neighborhood name in front (somehow). Perfect name.

I think there is lots of room for improvement over the name "Bakersfield", which is a CA-99 city, and being possibly stranded in the middle of nowhere driving for a long time because of bad naming just isn't ok. Come on Tesla, don't be stupid. We already had enough of that for the last half century.
Tesla is stupid? The person who drives to a supercharger not knowing its actual location is the stupid one.
Who would even do that? You're gonna need the address to it ahead of time.

Reactions: bxr140
Damn!

Tesla is stupid? The person who drives to a supercharger not knowing its actual location is the stupid one.
Who would even do that? You're gonna need the address to it ahead of time.
I said that in hopes they "wouldn't end up being stupid", as in, please don't name stuff on technicalities (unless it is also a useful name nevertheless). Calling it Bakersfield is misleading, even if by some technical paperwork it actually to some degree is actually in Bakersfield. This reminds me of SFO --- the San Francisco airport, that not only is not in San Francisco, but isn't even in the County of San Francisco -- it's in San Mateo County! Back before the BART extension, it was easy to use mass transit to get to San Francisco, in the range of MUNI, BART, etc., only to be stranded if you didn't know you needed a San Mateo bus to get to the airport. (They have since extended BART to SFO, but that wasn't true for over 3 decades.)

Ok, I checked the map for this new SuperCharger. I suppose I should go ahead and eat some hay. Usually the drive from CA-99 to I-5 is nearly an hour in most of the areas I visit. Down there at the pincher point where Bakersfield is, the gap between I-5 and CA-99 is a third of that. I measure 17.5 miles at 22 minutes from that new SuperCharger on I-5 and the CA-99 central Hampton Inn in Bakersfield, a fairly straight drive on "Stockdale Hwy" and "Westside Pkwy". Google Maps puts "Bakersfield" to the new SuperCharger at 18 miles (22 minutes).

Up further, where I usually visit, it is:

Visalia downtown (closer to CA-99) to I-5 Harris Ranch: 54 miles (54 minutes)

Fresno CA-99 by Herndon to I-5: 48.6 miles (57 minutes)
Fresno downtown by CA-99 to I-5 Empresas Del Bosque: 57.1 miles (64 minutes)

Fairmead (CA-99) to Santa Nella Village (I-5): 51.5 miles (52 minutes)
(Fairmead is between Merced and Madera on I-99)
(Santa Nella Village is on I-5 about 20 minutes northwest of that highway robbery town of Los Banos.)

Merced to Santa Nella: 43.5 miles (54 minutes)
Merced to Gustine: 31 miles (40 minutes)

--- all the above being almost an hour ---

--- all the below trending back down to under half an hour as you move up north ---

Turlock (CA-99) to Patterson (almost at I-5): 16.1 miles (27 minutes)

Modesto (CA-99) to Vernalis (closer to I-5): 16.8 miles (23 minutes)

Modesto (CA-99) to Tracy (spans just past I-5 to almost I-580, crossing 580 a bit even): 29.6 miles (34 minutes)

Last edited:
Well, technically I think it is. Address is:

29541 Stockdale Hwy
Bakersfield, CA 93314

That address is a Bakersfield address, but it's in unincorporated Bakersfield. In any case, putty SpCs on the fringes of towns near major highways is consistent with Tesla's practice.

Reactions: Ulmo
I am starting a road trip tomorrow that will take me to Sequoia and Yosemite. This location is a little out of my way, closer to Bakersfield would be better, but I will stop by to take pictures, etc. I will first post to Plugshare. I will look for batteries.

Charging right now. No other cars here. Two chargers blocked by piles of dirt apparently from the gas station construction here
IMG_2838.JPG

Reactions: ggnykk
Charging right now. No other cars here. Two chargers blocked by piles of dirt apparently from the gas station construction here
View attachment 200258

I was there a week ago and it was the same. I guess it's not that big a deal if the SC isn't getting full yet, but still kind of annoying that they just leave piles of dirt on SC parking spots for extended periods of time.

I was there a week ago and it was the same. I guess it's not that big a deal if the SC isn't getting full yet, but still kind of annoying that they just leave piles of dirt on SC parking spots for extended periods of time.
No doubt Tesla is not happy about the dirt piles, but as you noted, this location is not very busy and hopefully the nearby construction project will be finished soon.

Back from my fall trip to Sequoia and Yosemite NP, including a drive over Sonora Pass after Tioga Pass closed. Sonora Pass closed as well an hour after I reached 395. I got extra HPWC charge from an overnight stay at Gateway Lodge in Three Rivers, and an extra 1.5 hrs of charge at McCaffrey B&B on highway 108 for Sonora.

See my comments and photos on Plugshare for the Bakersfield SC. I could see through the gaps in the enclosure that this location does have batteries. It does not have solar, but batteries can help reduce demand charges, which are high in SCE territory.

On my next to last day I confirmed that the SC at Mammoth Lakes also has batteries without solar. I counted 5 battery cabinets, probably 5 X 100kWh = 500 kWh total. Mammoth is also in SCE territory.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman and ggnykk
Driving home Sunday evening, we stopped by Tejon, our preferred charging site traveling north on 99 to Fresno and on to Mariposa, but it had 1 stall out and 3 people waiting. Proceeded on to Bakersfield and found only 2 or 3 stalls occupied. Yes, there is a Subway inside of the Chevron, but for whatever reason we decided to try the IHOP. They made me a really nice veggie sandwich and fries. We would eat there again. We charged (no problems) and ate at Buttonwillow on the way down. Got an OK, but not great meal at the Indian restaurant there.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo