Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA - Copus Rd. (LIVE, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been closed for a while. It probably won’t reopen until the truck stop and gas station is built.

Thanks. I'm changing the title for this site to reflect "temporary closure".

@corywright @MarcoRP @Chuq I recommend that supercharge.org make this change as well, until someone can report a successful charge.

Bruce.

Has anyone managed to charge here successfully in the last 4 weeks or so? If not, I'm going to change the thread title to "temporary closure", and going to recommend that supercharge.info make this change too.

(The other "sometimes up sometimes not" site is Kettleman City (Bernard Dr.) but there's some evidence that that site has been up on weekends lately.)

Bruce.
Good call Bruce. My wife was headed from the East Bay area down to the LA area recently and she asked me for a pre-trip routing for minimal time charging. I used EVTripping to get that, and it had her go to this Copus Rd. charger. And of course it was powered down. Fortunately she had no problem making it to Tejon outlets, so it was a minor inconvenience, but still not great. If it had said "Temporary closure" here on TMC, I would have noticed it and NOT sent her to this charger regardless of what EVTripping had said. And sure, "use the car's NAV". but some of us want to prioritize chargers we have never been to before (upping our unique chargers count)...

Use ABRP or just use the in-car navigation and you won't have these kinds of problems as often.
ABRP has similar issues (borrows data from I can't remember where, but it isn't always up to date).

What I can't figure out is how she navigated to that supercharger in the car without noticing that it wasn't open. I'm pretty sure Tesla has either removed it from the Nav or (more likely) labeled it as a Temporary Closure. When you navigate to a supercharger that is temporarily closed, you even get a prompt warning you that it is closed (you have to push OK to clear the prompt).

Reactions: smilepak
ABRP has similar issues (borrows data from I can't remember where, but it isn't always up to date).

What I can't figure out is how she navigated to that supercharger in the car without noticing that it wasn't open. I'm pretty sure Tesla has either removed it from the Nav or (more likely) labeled it as a Temporary Closure. When you navigate to a supercharger that is temporarily closed, you even get a prompt warning you that it is closed (you have to push OK to clear the prompt).
Perhaps she did the same thing I often do. I find the Nav does not always choose the best place for me to charge, so I decide for myself. Although, in those circumstances, I typically still check how busy a site is before I head to it.

When I looked earlier today, Bakersfield (Copus Rd.) had the circle-with-slash pin on the nav, and clicking on that pin showed its status as "Temporary Closure".

Bruce.

When I looked earlier today, Bakersfield (Copus Rd.) had the circle-with-slash pin on the nav, and clicking on that pin showed its status as "Temporary Closure".

Bruce.

Bruce, indeed. As of noon today, Thursday, the dread grey pin with the slashed circle appears for both this and Bernard Drive in Kettleman. Tesla maintains that it is a temporary closure. Inquiring minds want to know when these closures will vanish.

Bruce, indeed. As of noon today, Thursday, the dread grey pin with the slashed circle appears for both this and Bernard Drive in Kettleman. Tesla maintains that it is a temporary closure. Inquiring minds want to know when these closures will vanish.
I think it's been discussed on these forums, but it seems fairly clear that this one just opened early to help with busy traffic days, and it won't fully open until the rest of the host property opens.

Kettleman is a bit different. I'm guessing they don't want to pay high demand chargers from two different properties in the same little town, so they only open the 2nd one at times when they think they original 40-stall location will be full. Of course at some point in the future there will be so much Tesla traffic that that will happen nearly every weekend and at that point I would expect them to open both full-time. We shall see.

Reactions: rayluis1988
Kettleman is a bit different. I'm guessing they don't want to pay high demand chargers from two different properties in the same little town, so they only open the 2nd one at times when they think they original 40-stall location will be full. Of course at some point in the future there will be so much Tesla traffic that that will happen nearly every weekend and at that point I would expect them to open both full-time. We shall see.
This doesn't make sense - it appears that they are opening it at least once a month - in which case they are creating high demand charges, but low energy charges. Maybe they're not opening it as often as it seems to be reported?

This doesn't make sense - it appears that they are opening it at least once a month - in which case they are creating high demand charges, but low energy charges. Maybe they're not opening it as often as it seems to be reported?

It's possible that they are trying to avoid wear and tear (and possible perception of a substandard customer experience) on the not-yet-paved lot. Though if that's the only reason, it seems they could have managed to pave it by now.

While Kettleman City - Bernard Drive is again open for business this weekend, (not) Bakersfield - Copus Road remains closed.

With 90+ stalls available at Kettleman City, 20-some odd stalls available six miles north at Harris Ranch, 18 (?) stalls four miles apart at Buttonwillow and Bakersfield - West, plus the two locations at Tejon Ranch, it really does not make much sense to open up Copus Road for occasional use when the navigation system (apparently almost everyone now relies on the Tesla computer where and when to charge) can factor this closure into its calculations.

Also, with absolutely zero amenities other than restrooms, it is likely that most folks would prefer some place where they could go indoors for a spell. Wait until the weather starts heating up in two weeks!

I wonder if Tesla has some sort of tracking device built into its software that determines the usage of SC up and down Interstate 5, and will turn on Copus Road if traffic surpasses some threshold of overall charging along that corridor.

Construction progress. Also, despite being marked as temporarily closed, the pedestal logos are illuminated and I was able to get a charge.
9574A6E2-B260-4AB0-BBD9-C0CC98EB6637.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and 4SUPER9