Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA - Copus Rd. (LIVE, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving to the coast, I found this construction. The construction is located on Copus Rd. just west of the I-5 and about 1/2 mile west of Hwy 99. I think it is about 2 miles north of Hwy 166 and maybe 6 miles north of the current Tejon superchargers. There appears to be 20 chargers at this location.

Attachments

• 20210614_183209[3091].jpg
    20210614_183209[3091].jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 829
Permit is in the Kern County system: https://accela.kerncounty.com/CitizenAccess/Default.aspx

Not a ton of info, but may provide additional leads.

View attachment 673533
So based on DonCali's photo, they must have taken out some of the citrus trees on that plot of land to put in the Superchargers. Biggest question is - why here given that there are no amenities anywhere near this exit? The closest thing is The Little Purple Barn (a nice looking farm stand/storefront) on the other side of the freeway.

Photo of the site looking south towards Tejon Ranch.

image.png

Sorry I couldn't do any of this last night. Thanks Dave for finding the permit and the map so the location and the photo match. Will get to adding it in a bit.

I'm kind of hopeful Tesla might build something like a rest stop from scratch at this station since there are no amenities. In all fairness, a Supercharger with no canopies or amenities in the heart of the valley doesn't seem like good fun to use. Perhaps at the moment it will be a pick your own fruit type of thing??

I'm curious, how the hell did you find this DonCali? I have a hard time understanding how anyone would get there by coincidence lol. But thanks for posting, it's very helpful

I may be in the minority but I am excited about this one. Even if it's just a "frontier supercharging" situation where there are no amenities, I like to "get out there" when I'm on a road trip so I could easily see myself choosing to stop at this one, especially if there's a fruit stand :) There are so many other superchargers that are on this stretch of highway, so if you don't like it, you don't have to charge there.

That being said, I suspect Tesla will be building something from scratch which is exciting in a different way. Will be very interesting to see what comes of this. I thought I knew all the I-5 exits along this stretch, but I can't say I'm familiar with this one. At first, I thought it was going in at the Chevron with the super expensive gas (which would have been kind of GREAT lol), but that's one exit further south.

Sorry I couldn't do any of this last night. Thanks Dave for finding the permit and the map so the location and the photo match. Will get to adding it in a bit.

I'm kind of hopeful Tesla might build something like a rest stop from scratch at this station since there are no amenities. In all fairness, a Supercharger with no canopies or amenities in the heart of the valley doesn't seem like good fun to use. Perhaps at the moment it will be a pick your own fruit type of thing??

I'm curious, how the hell did you find this DonCali? I have a hard time understanding how anyone would get there by coincidence lol. But thanks for posting, it's very helpful
Simple. I was driving from Tehachapi. The navigation system took me through Arvin to Wheeler Ridge Rd. to David Rd. that turns into Copus Rd then left on Old River Rd. to HWY 166 to Santa Maria. The site is about 150 yards west of I-5 and about 3 miles west of Hwy 99. I had it wrong last night. It is located on the south side of the road. This site is very rural. There are no current restaurants or any other facilities near the site. The coordinates are approximately: 35.09045, -119.041349

THIS.IS.SUCH.A.WEIRD.LOCATION

I’ve driven down Copus Rd a few times and would NEVER expect to see 20 stalls way out there. Must have been some cheap land or some very odd situation. Obviously I’m curious to see this one play out.

My theory is that this site is to support when the Grapevine backs up or closes in winter and cars can’t get to Tejon Ranch / Wheeler Ridge because I5 Southbound is a parking lot. That’s a very limited use case, but it sure does suck when it happens.

Last edited:
Permit is in the Kern County system: https://accela.kerncounty.com/CitizenAccess/Default.aspx

Not a ton of info, but may provide additional leads.

View attachment 673533
If you click the blue arrow next to record info there is a lot more information from inspections to related records as well as processing status. You can see they applied May 3rd and were approved June 10th. If they are that far along in 4 days then this site will be done by the end of next week. Or they started a little before they had the approved permit in hand, it is Kern County after all.

And this looks completely random because it doesn’t fit the timeframe of any of the other Tesla coming soon dots on the map for the area.

• Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff
Damn if only this was on the 99 freeway the 5 has so many chargers and no love on the 99 Freeway around this stretch until Visalia in the future.
It is 4 miles from 99. 11 miles from Tejon Ranch. If it was on Copus Rd at 99 it would be 7 miles from Tejon. It’s a horrible location but it’s a lot closer to 99 than some potential Bakersfield locations that are in town will be.

I can't help myself - I sense on this one there is a grander plan in play. Something like a Buckee's (if you're familiar), Chargers out there next to a major Tesla Solar array. Note the High Voltage Primary Distribution power lines almost over head of the site. Tesla CT and Semi bays with the whole thing under shade with more solar panels. And right there, in the middle of the corner is a whammy jammy Tesla Cafe and A/C center. Sign at the exit: "Become a Pea Picker, charge here".

Reactions: PStewart