Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bakersfield, CA - Copus Rd. (LIVE, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lot is paved, and illuminated at night, but no restrooms. It's only a few miles away from the Tejon Outlets, so it seems pretty useless until the truck stop and its restrooms are available. The truck-stop building is just a shell right now; in part of it the floor is still dirt. This does seem to be going rather slowly.
IMG_0656.JPGIMG_0657.JPGIMG_0926.JPG

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
View attachment 992084
Looks like an expansion of 8 more stalls here for a total of 28. Can anyone with eyes on the ground confirm this?
Or someone plugged 28 stalls into the system and since they aren’t reporting it is showing them as down.

From old pictures, it looks like there is room where the temporary bathrooms were and if the truck stop is nearing completion they could have moved the bathroom and replaced with more stalls although that looks like the entrance to the truck stop now from recent pictures.

No new permits but the last inspection from 2021 was a denied final inspection so maybe this was supposed to be 28 all along and it won’t be final until those are in? Weird.

Last edited:
Or someone plugged 28 stalls into the system and since they aren’t reporting it is showing them as down.

From old pictures, it looks like there is room where the temporary bathrooms were and if the truck stop is nearing completion they could have moved the bathroom and replaced with more stalls although that looks like the entrance to the truck stop now from recent pictures.

No new permits but the last inspection from 2021 was a denied final inspection so maybe this was supposed to be 28 all along and it won’t be final until those are in? Weird.
They installed a 3000 A panel here from the get go which is enough for a max of 28 V3 stalls. If not now, at some point they’ll want to do it.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Were they lit? I often see Superchargers SAY they are unavailable but I don't usually take NO for an answer and trudge ahead and 100% of the time so far I have been able to charge. This is NOT true of sites that have yet to open, I have been disappointed MANY a time by getting there too early, I think I have only been to two that showed as not on the NAV or App but I was able to charge.

Reactions: bmah
Drove by today, Bay Area to LA area, and it showed no service… odd

What is also ODD is that the legacy Kettleman, showed ~ 8 chargers out, when we go there about four might have been out,… and there were TWO other Tesla charging there… ~ 10:15 PST. Tuesday 12/12

Last edited:
Drove by this evening and it showed as unavailable. I could clearly see the stalls, all empty, so I assume it is powered down for some reason?
Drove by today, Bay Area to LA area, and it showed no service… odd

What is also ODD is that the legacy Kettleman, showed ~ 8 chargers out, when we go there about four might have been out,… and there were TWO other Tesla charging there… ~ 10:15 PST. Tuesday 12/12
As Randy asked, were the stalls lit? If the Tesla is glowing red, the stalls are powered and will charge. Tesla can show sites as "closed" to divert traffic to other locations. Sucks if you are low and need it and are guided elsewhere but if you drive by and the stalls are dark at night then it has been shut off.

Reactions: bmah
This Supercharger now has a different access. The guy there I talked with said that the change was required by CalTrans. So you need to enter and exit via the gas-station driveways, farther away from the overpass. He thought the gas pumps and the convenience store (center of the building) would open in about a month. The eateries on each end of the building apparently will take longer. The picture is from Monday, March 11th.

IMG_1406.JPG

This Supercharger now has a different access. The guy there I talked with said that the change was required by CalTrans. So you need to enter and exit via the gas-station driveways, farther away from the overpass. He thought the gas pumps and the convenience store (center of the building) would open in about a month. The eateries on each end of the building apparently will take longer. The picture is from Monday, March 11th.

View attachment 1028106
Hmm, is copus road a highway? Didn’t realize CalTrans regulated county roads.

CalTrans regulates ingress and egress to its highways and freeways. [Assumptions follow.] This includes placement of local access on secondary roads within a certain proximity to freeways and highways. I am too lazy to pore through the Streets and Highways Code to see if there are appropriate statutes that apply. A number of factors may influence locating entrances and exits to businesses including inter alia, speed limit of the local road, traffic count, and proximity to freeway entrances and exits.

Moreover, the State has rights of way a certain distance on either side of the highway. We don't know how far from the actual shoulder that right of way extends. When that bridge and pavement over the interstate needs repair or maintenance, that responsibility falls onto CalTrans, not the county, to the extent the work falls within the right of way.

• Informative
Reactions: DoItDiff